Savage Sword

Hawt Sommer

Re: Savage Sword

Postby Hawt Sommer » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:21 pm

I'm such a Non-in-the-loop-harry-potter-LOTR-Poser-loser....

:(

Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:01 pm

Tsssk. Fae (or Fey) = Fairy (or Faerie).

Faeries seem to be mostly English/British (or celtic) in origin. It was people like Shakespeare and later writers of Victorian books for children that made them tiny (they were a normal size before, in Chaucer, for example). They used to be equated with elves (linked to the nymphs from classical times) on the British isles (also made small in children's tales, like Santa's little helpers), but elves were also part of Germanic and Scandinavian folklore and those never turned tiny with wings. Tolkien based his elves on that continental folklore more than the English version of elves/faeries, and his elves became the mold for the 'staple' fantasy elves in RPG's and fantasy lit, with tiny fairies continuing on separately as the tiny Tinkerbell-type flutterers from Peter Pan.

The 'Fae' or 'Fey' (or sometimes Sidhe, the Irish word for Elves/Fae, also known as aos sí) are relative fantasy/RPG upstarts, clearly inspired by the original faeries/elves from English literature, probably revived because Tolkien and later fantasy had done too much to define 'elves' in a particular way and because writers and game-creators wanted another 'magical' race. They became a separate entity from elves and fairies quite recently. Sometimes, they seem to be blue, for some reason. The 'Seelie' and 'Unseelie' court stuff seems to have some basis in Scottish folklore (Seelie is supposed to be related to the word 'silly' and is used by Chaucer, and this folklore is supposed to be linked to the Irish Sidhe as well, though I am not sure if that had this seelie/unseelie court thing).

I have no idea who or what brought this whole Seelie and Unseelie thing into popular fantasy (as part of something connected to this Fae/Fey/Sidhe 'race') and carried it over into modern fantasy and RPGs. Probably one or more fantasy writers I never read (possibly linking it to King Arthur's legend, which it does seem to have become associated with) or a table-top RP system I never played coming in the wake of the more well-known D&D system.

Personally, I think these modern fantasy 'Fae/Fey' are a bit like the sparkly vampires from Twilight. :thumbup:
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:19 pm

Glaucon wrote:Tsssk. Fae (or Fey) = Fairy (or Faerie).

Faeries seem to be mostly English/British (or celtic) in origin. It was people like Shakespeare and later writers of Victorian books for children that made them tiny (they were a normal size before, in Chaucer, for example). They used to be equated with elves (linked to the nymphs from classical times) on the British isles (also made small in children's tales, like Santa's little helpers), but elves were also part of Germanic and Scandinavian folklore and those never turned tiny with wings. Tolkien based his elves on that continental folklore more than the English version of elves/faeries, and his elves became the mold for the 'staple' fantasy elves in RPG's and fantasy lit, with tiny fairies continuing on separately as the tiny Tinkerbell-type flutterers from Peter Pan.

The 'Fae' or 'Fey' (or sometimes Sidhe, the Irish word for Elves/Fae, also known as aos sí) are relative fantasy/RPG upstarts, clearly inspired by the original faeries/elves from English literature, probably revived because Tolkien and later fantasy had done too much to define 'elves' in a particular way and because writers and game-creators wanted another 'magical' race. They became a separate entity from elves and fairies quite recently. Sometimes, they seem to be blue, for some reason. The 'Seelie' and 'Unseelie' court stuff seems to have some basis in Scottish folklore (Seelie is supposed to be related to the word 'silly' and is used by Chaucer, and this folklore is supposed to be linked to the Irish Sidhe as well, though I am not sure if that had this seelie/unseelie court thing).

I have no idea who or what brought this whole Seelie and Unseelie thing into popular fantasy (as part of something connected to this Fae/Fey/Sidhe 'race') and carried it over into modern fantasy and RPGs. Probably one or more fantasy writers I never read (possibly linking it to King Arthur's legend, which it does seem to have become associated with) or a table-top RP system I never played coming in the wake of the more well-known D&D system.

Personally, I think these modern fantasy 'Fae/Fey' are a bit like the sparkly vampires from Twilight. :thumbup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changeling:_The_Dreaming
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changeling:_The_Lost

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seelie_and ... lie_Courts
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:48 am

Ah, the Whitewolf table-top RPG system. The guys from the world of darkness vampire stuff, then. I guess I guessed correctly.

Like I said... upstarts. :)
Theoden
SL Name: Theoden
Caste: Warrior

Postby Theoden » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:59 am

Scandinavian folklore is full of elves, trolls and other mythological characters. Most people in Norway, Denmark and Sweden haven't taken them seriously since the 19th century, but elves are no joke to many in Iceland, population 320,000.

A survey conducted by the University of Iceland in 2007 found that 62 percent of the 1,000 respondents thought it was at least possible that elves exist.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/icela ... -v22009310

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hulduf%C3%B3lk
Theoden
SL Name: Theoden
Caste: Warrior

Postby Theoden » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:06 am

Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:53 pm

Sure it wasn't Bjork or her little sister?
Syndel
SL Name: Syndel Daviau

Postby Syndel » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:02 pm

The Unity meter is really very good. Quite versatile and compatible with Spellfire weaponry and magic. We might go with that one.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:11 am

Syndel wrote:The Unity meter is really very good. Quite versatile and compatible with Spellfire weaponry and magic. We might go with that one.

Glad we might have been of some use.
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:04 am

Syndel wrote:The Unity meter is really very good. Quite versatile and compatible with Spellfire weaponry and magic. We might go with that one.

This should be interesting. I'm glad to see you moved away from the GM meter to test this out. The sneak peek has me salivating to see what Eve comes up with this time especially with the distinct settings for the varied species.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait

Return to “General”