Elder Scrolls 6: MMO

Discover your Elder Scrolls.
Frevet

Re: Elder Scrolls 6: MMO

Postby Frevet » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:00 pm

I've been raiding Hardmodes/Heroics when Hardmodes were still hard. I have also been raiding HMs in Pandaria and thought they were funny compared to bosses from the past, M'uru, Yogg-Saron + 0, Freya HM . I have been playing in a top 30 guilds (worldwide) and I tried WoW again last year. I am sorry, but it's not super challenging. My former guildmates (those that still play) have Garrosh Heroic down, I just checked. So yeah.

Btw, 175 guilds on 25 man have him down. On 10 man, it is 199 guilds.

Wow has always amounted to "Know your class, know your cooldowns, know how to use hotkeys, love spreadsheets and have more time than anyone else."

Oh and don't forget to add a lol to your name. ;)
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:20 pm

Frevet wrote:Wow has always amounted to "Know your class, know your cooldowns, know how to use hotkeys, love spreadsheets and have more time than anyone else."

Oh and don't forget to add a lol to your name. ;)

That is pretty much exactly why I have turned away from that sort of fun. Was fun for a little while, doing the clan/guild thing, learning all about the best PvP strategies, coming up against the big boys and feeling competitive, and having everyone plead with one of our teammates mum on vent about letting her 16-year old play on 'just a little longer' so we would not have to end our winning streak (like being 12 all over again), but for me, it doesn't hold a spell anymore. I'd rather play an immersive singe-player game (or immersive MMO if that is possible) or RP or post on a forum or do something else. And if I wanted to do something competitive online, I guess I'd prefer that be something new, not something 'seen that, done that' requiring months of grind before you can even really begin.

I must say that I am amazed it is that all these MMOs that have been made over the last decade or so are so similar. One I read about that tried to do it a little bit differently was the one that I think was called darkfall (mentioned above). And it didn't even do things that differently, from what I read. Just a bit. Which was enough to make it some big 'rebel' that people had really strong opinions about (about it doing it all wrong and being destined to fail). And yet, the differences were quite slight, which serves to highlight how incredibly similar all these other MMO's really are.

Human beings are funny. They love to think they are really creative. But give them the tools to make practically anything they wish, and 99% of them will all be making pretty much exactly the same thing, whether it is everyone building the same style of big-ass gothic church or the same style of massive multi-player online video game.
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:06 pm

Yeah. WoW had a huge influence on the MMO genre over the past decade, they casualized the fuck out of it and everyone tried to copy their succes, by copying their game.

Back before WoW MMOs all were trying to be sandboxy, about letting guilds conquer their own territory in the world, letting them build their own villages and economies and a sense of 'roleplay politics'. But again, admittedly, I don't see ESO as moving away from the theme park model WoW has either. I don't see many sandbox elements in the game.

It's why I'm waiting for EQN myself, where the devs at least seem to be trying to put the emphasis back on individual immersion and sandbox gameplay instead of trying to throw people into a "quests & leveling towards endgame"-threadmill.

I'll probably give ESO a try though, because admittedly, I do enjoy Elder Scrolls games a lot and in a way... it's much more freeform than WoW with how you build your character. Part of me wished they had taken more inspiration from the Morrowind leveling system than the Skyrim one though.

Edit: Also the difference between Darkfall and WoW aren't small at all. I played Darkfall 2 for a while and it's very much like SL Gor in gameplay. You go around raiding and you can get killed and all your stuff looted if you die. It seems to draw upon a different crowd of people, I noticed that lots of people that used to play DayZ came over to Darkfall2 and they all absolutely adhored WoW. Darkfall didn't give you quests or tutorials on how to play your class, you just had to grind mobs and kill players in pvp to level up and you had to build your own cities and conquer and defend territory from other guilds. The emphasis was a lot more on 'meaningful' PvP and crafting and some minor building elements and lots of OOC forum drama in the style of: "Omg noobs your guild raided our village while almost no defenders were online, you pieces of sh-"
Theoden
SL Name: Theoden
Caste: Warrior

Postby Theoden » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:31 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIL7aZQT-DE

best beta video i've seen so far. i'm preordering
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:00 pm

The M rating came as a bit of a surprise.
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Theoden
SL Name: Theoden
Caste: Warrior

Postby Theoden » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:20 am

I absolutely love the M rating. If it means it brings a more mature theme and content in the game than WoW, that's excellent.

Aside from a few subtle and dark quests, WoW for the most part is so tame in its content. Yeah, there's war, but it's mostly people just smacking each other with nerf bats and falling down. Maybe some cartooney blood here and there. But it all lacks the realism that high fantasy could achieve, that which Skyrim achieves.

I'll still keep my WoW subscription, but I'm definitely looking forward to ESO

Who else is gonna join ESO? We should all get together and make a joke guild.... The Followers of John Norman
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:56 pm

At the moment, I am leaning towards trying this one out. It does look good, it will probably have decent quests, is fully voiced, etc. Probably not a bad game, even if it will likely have flaws.

What about The Gorumites?
Elle Couerblanc
SL Name: Elle

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:37 pm

I am looking at both ESO and EQ Next/Landmark. I really like the idea of EQ but not sure how the two games will be integrated.
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Visit me at Elle's World http://ellecouerblanc.com/
Cassie
SL Name: Isabeus

Postby Cassie » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:21 pm

I am skeptic to get the pre-order version of this. Of course I am buying it, I need it like my coffee in the morning.
I will however skip the daedric statue.
Godless heathens always waltz on the sky.
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:40 am

Theoden wrote:I absolutely love the M rating.

Think I wasn't clear. I was surprised. But not because it makes me mad or upset. I was surprised because I haven't really seen anything that was over the top. Then again, the big bad guy, Molag Bal, is apparently the King of Rape. He can literally fuck you into being a vampire.

:hrm:
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499

Return to “Skyrim”