Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Anyone else excited?

Discover your Elder Scrolls.
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Re: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Anyone else excited?

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:03 am

I normally like roleplaying games ... but there is something awfully tedious about the Elder Scroll games.
The games all play considerably slower than most RP games. I don't particulary enjoy spending 10 minutes walking through a scenic landscape before I can talk to the next person and then again... Hopefully this has been fixed. Besides that by all means the Elder Scrolls still, with all the customisations and skills, feels like a hack and slash game, with not much diversity in the tools that a character has to his disposal.

Compare it to WoW where if you spend doing your first quests for a few hours you'll have about a dozen different skills for your character, (for every different class) which all have their uses. In the Elder Scroll games you'll not often see your repertoire of skills increase much or fast... especially the downside of a large part of the 'skills' being passive...

The storylines are also always very straight forward and the world even if it's a free-roaming world, feels very stale and linear. Every new game you start does never feel much different from the previous one you already had going.

Even though I've a soft spot for RPGs that offer a lot of customisation... I do not particulary look forward to an Elder Scroll game after having spotted the trend in Morrowind and Oblivion.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:25 pm

Anarch12911 wrote:I normally like roleplaying games ... but there is something awfully tedious about the Elder Scroll games.
The games all play considerably slower than most RP games. I don't particulary enjoy spending 10 minutes walking through a scenic landscape before I can talk to the next person and then again... Hopefully this has been fixed.

Tastes differ. I actually quite LIKE spending time in a world where you can walk for 10 minutes without running into 5 groups of baddies and 2 new quest-givers. :) Games like the Witcher 2 and Dragon Age 2 are too 'full' for my taste.

Besides that by all means the Elder Scrolls still, with all the customisations and skills, feels like a hack and slash game, with not much diversity in the tools that a character has to his disposal.

That was a problem with Oblivion, true. In terms of gameplay, there wasn't that much going on in terms of tactics, and very little in terms of skill (though I did like shooting bows in it). I didn't find this to be a problem in Fallout, though.

Compare it to WoW where if you spend doing your first quests for a few hours you'll have about a dozen different skills for your character, (for every different class) which all have their uses. In the Elder Scroll games you'll not often see your repertoire of skills increase much or fast... especially the downside of a large part of the 'skills' being passive...

Another matter of taste. I don't need to have that many nifty skills. I'd rather have less and be immersed. After all, a hero doesn't HAVE to be a wizard with a 100 page spell-book.

The storylines are also always very straight forward and the world even if it's a free-roaming world, feels very stale and linear. Every new game you start does never feel much different from the previous one you already had going.

That is definately true. Oblivion, free roaming or not, and fallout as well, didn't really offer much in the way of significant story 'branching', compared to, say, Dragon Age and the Witcher. As for the world being stale... I had that a bit with Oblivion. Not so with fallout, since there, the world actually changed quite a bit at times.

I am quite looking forward to this one. I like stories, but what I like best, often, is just exploring something big on my own terms.
Allison Millet
SL Name: Allison Millet
Role: bondmaid
Home Stone: Kalana Woods
Owner: Jarl Wolf

Postby Allison Millet » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm

Hockey Stick!

Return to “Skyrim”