WoW help?

For the Horde!!!!......or Alliance.
Ceri the Urt
Urtastic!
SL Name: Ceri Kesten
Role: Being totally stinky.

WoW help?

Postby Ceri the Urt » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:13 am

Ever since the update before the last one I have not been able to stay in Wow. Around 5 minutes in, my entire system shuts off. We have tried adjusting settings but nothing seems to prevent this from happening. Anyone else having issues?
Don't raise your voice, Improve your Argument.
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Re: WoW help?

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:29 am

You mean it completely turns itself off? No "Windows is logging off" message or anything? Just complete power-loss?

In that case it sounds like overheating. I had that problem myself once a long time ago, I had to re-apply thermal paste between the processor and cooling grid, but that's not something I'd advise doing yourself, in danger of damaging the processor.
Ceri the Urt
Urtastic!

Postby Ceri the Urt » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:51 am

Yeah, the whole laptop just shuts off. It's a fairly new computer. It was working great until the update before the last one, and then "Poof" it shuts down. It only happens with WoW. SL I can play just fine.
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:09 pm

Hm... There is really nothing else built into a computer system which could cause it to instant shut down, besides perhaps the very rare case of faulty drivers. Try updating your video drivers perhaps ...

But a PC just shutting itself off without warning is in majority of the cases an overheating issue, in the very rare cases it could be a power supply issue (but then usually it doesn't turn on again easily) or even rarer and almost impossible to fix without formatting the system a driver issue.

I also found on some WoW forums that you can manually try to prevent overheating by typing: "/console maxfps 25" or such in your chatwindow.
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:23 pm

What kind of video card are you running?

Also, what kind of surface is the laptop on? Do you have a cooler for the laptop?
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499

Postby ... » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:44 pm

You may need a driver update. I did.
Ceri the Urt
Urtastic!

Postby Ceri the Urt » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:46 pm

From what Mal has read other people are experiencing the same thing since the last 2 patches happened. Their computers just shut off completely after being in game for a few minutes. WoW won't do anything about it because not enough people are having the issue to make it worth looking into. Many people are simply canceling their accounts until the next big patch happens in hopes that it fixes whatever is causing this. My comp plays everything else just fine. It is a brand new Lenovo laptop and it played WoW just fine for months, then we had an update and ever since then I have not been able to stay in.
Garrgon
SL Name: Garrgon
Owner: Zira keeps me in her pocket.

Postby Garrgon » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:58 am

I cancelled my account for that reason Ceri. After the last patch, I couldn't stay in for more than a few minutes before the game would just shut off. I'd log back in and two minutes later, the game shut off again.

Really sucked too because I'd just joined Leah's guild.
Nope. Nope. Nevermind.
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:03 am

The only thing I can advise you to do is to first check and make sure that all of your drivers are updated. After you've done that, if you still have the problem, you probably need to completely delete WoW off of your computer and do a fresh install.
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Ceri the Urt
Urtastic!

Postby Ceri the Urt » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:50 am

Okay, Mal fixed it! Under help on the entrance screen there is something like "repair game" hit that, let it run and it fixes any curropt files. Since doing that and the "MP30" whatever it is combo in game...I have not crashed!

Return to “World of Warcraft”