For the Horde!!!!......or Alliance.
Victor.
SL Name: Victor Klavinham
Role: Mister Internet
Home Stone: SalernuM
Owner: V for VESSEL

World of Warcraft

Postby Victor. » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:02 am

So, since the big thread we had on the topic apparently was swallowed by the limbo of the forum transfer - I thought it'd be fun to start it up again.

Think we're 9 weeks in Firelands so far - how's everyone doing, Non-Raiders and Raiders, PVPers a like. Do you enjoy your cataclysmic experience or are you like myself more or less on the pounce for the next thing coming out? :D

About Firelands, personally - I am in a guild of approx 15 active players that I've known for 1 to 8+ years - most of them RL friends that started with me together and rode on the same wave as I did, in my hardcore days of WoW-Raiding.

However, despite the past, I'd consider us pretty casual by now. The only time I really log in, is when a raid is about to start. The occasional alt-character here and there but nothing that really holds my attention past level 20 or something.

That said, we got 2-3 Raid days a week and managed to count ourselves to the myriad of guilds with 6/7 downed Hard Modes by now. We're not trying on Ragnaros HM right now because quite frankly, hearing from ex-colleagues who still raid in a competitive environment that they took 300-500 attempts before they got him - we really can't bothered to force ourselves through that ordeal, not like there's a world first still at stake anyway ;)

And while we raid casually, everyone in our little group is pretty much a die-hard min-maxer - trying to do the absolute best they can do in terms of damage, healing, minimizing fails. The trash talk in our team speak is absolutely horrendous, I mean it - there is so much shit being spoken during a serious attempt on those bosses, it drove a LOT of trials insane already and they quit :lol: but for me personally? Hell, I enjoy a little smack talk in my raids, nothing more motivating than a little recount-jibe here and there.

So what are you guys playing and how much time you spend playing the game still? :)
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft. // Jealousy is a passion, seeking zealously what causes suffering. Franz Grillparzer
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Re: World of Warcraft

Postby Leah » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:04 pm

We're only 2/7 Hard Modes in 25 man content, working on Heroic Beth (and struggling with constant attendance issues and DC's...I DC'd constantly last night for no reason I can find).

I'm sick of fire. I'm so freaking sick of fire. UGH.

I still love the game, I still love to raid, but I'm missing BC raids even more these days. I've been going with friends to hunt down BC gear for 4.3 when Transmorgification comes out, and the two things almost always said are:

"Why can't Blizzard make raids like they did in BC?"

and

"Why can't Blizzard make gear that looks as fantastic as this BC content stuff?"

I dunno. I'm excited about Mists of Pandaria, because I'm hoping beyond hope that it will be a return to the BC style (or, if nothing else, to the Ulduar style of raiding).

ETA: I really hope they will also reconsider their squishing of 10 man and 25 man raids together. It just doesn't work. Some fights are easier on 25 man (Normal Rhyolith comes to mind) than on 10 man, while others are a -joke- on 10 man as compared to 25 man - both in normal and heroic. Let people decide what types of raids they want to do, but let the raid sizes be evaluated separately (and I really wish we could go back to separate lockouts. Gearing up an alt to learn content is a giant pain in the ass).
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
MammaKittie
SL Name: Grrrrr
Caste: Always Kittie
Home Stone: Right now in a world of pretty
Owner: Please...as if

Postby MammaKittie » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:40 pm

The new WOW is Rift - that's where I play now.
Victor.

Postby Victor. » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:57 pm

I enjoyed The Burning Crusade when it was out and it's true that it had some of the best artwork in terms of tier set pieces so far - Tier 6 & Season 4+5 sets were just phenomenal - will probably get them before the transmogriblub thing sees the light of day ;)

Though I am VERY happy with the Cata change of making it less rewarding to raid with 10 man, but easier to manage. We're having problems sometimes to get a line up with 10 people together because we're kinda particular ... can't really avoid that I guess if you play together for so long. To imagine we'd have to find another 20 guys and girls to join just not to end with the short end of the stick in our hands when it comes to item-levels, meh. Not digging the thought ;)

And I rather have 25+10 with some fights being easier in one mode, than the other and vice versa - than having an easy 10 mode and a hard 25 mode or something like that.

And RIFT - well, how to put it. I played it briefly when it was in open Beta and it certainly wasn't bad, but it just felt a 100 % like WoW with rough edges here and there, some things executed better even - but overall, it's too much of a clone for me to consider switching over to it.

Rather waiting for Guild Wars 2 or SWTOR :D
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft. // Jealousy is a passion, seeking zealously what causes suffering. Franz Grillparzer
Leah

Postby Leah » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:41 am

Victor. wrote:I enjoyed The Burning Crusade when it was out and it's true that it had some of the best artwork in terms of tier set pieces so far - Tier 6 & Season 4+5 sets were just phenomenal - will probably get them before the transmogriblub thing sees the light of day ;)

Though I am VERY happy with the Cata change of making it less rewarding to raid with 10 man, but easier to manage. We're having problems sometimes to get a line up with 10 people together because we're kinda particular ... can't really avoid that I guess if you play together for so long. To imagine we'd have to find another 20 guys and girls to join just not to end with the short end of the stick in our hands when it comes to item-levels, meh. Not digging the thought ;)

And I rather have 25+10 with some fights being easier in one mode, than the other and vice versa - than having an easy 10 mode and a hard 25 mode or something like that.

And RIFT - well, how to put it. I played it briefly when it was in open Beta and it certainly wasn't bad, but it just felt a 100 % like WoW with rough edges here and there, some things executed better even - but overall, it's too much of a clone for me to consider switching over to it.

Rather waiting for Guild Wars 2 or SWTOR :D

Look at it from the perspective of my guild, though, Victor.

We struggled to down Beth'tilac HM on 25 man for three weeks. The night the guild gave up and went 10 man, we two shot it. We've gotten Baelroc HM on 10 man to 4% when we were having trouble consistently downing him in 25 on normal.

There just isn't the same level of difficulty, and even DREAM Paragon remarked about it after they went back and did everything on 10 man.

I am not at all opposed to 10 mans getting the same level of gear, but my god, you simply cannot evaluate the fights against each other. There are too many things that are different. Health pools are ridiculously higher (forcing much much higher DPS breaks), damage is far increased. I mean, okay, guilds are doing Heroic Rags on 10 man with 2 healers. Guess how many healers a guild can afford to bring on 25 man?

3. Maybe 4, if you've got stellar DPS.

Which indicates a huge increase in DPS requirement.

As for my guild? It's imploded. We lost our second Holy Pally, one of our best Mages, our Enh Shaman, MM Hunter, and a Disc Priest app over two and a half weeks. Our healer lead, a Disc Priest, is moving home to China at the end of the month, and so we're losing him. I'm quitting, because raiding just fucking sucks in Firelands and in Cataclysm in general. Blizzard has sucked all of the fun out of it.

And no, Rift is not better. My god, it makes my eyes bleed, and I have yet to see an encounter more complicated than the encounters in Molten Core.

Maybe TOR. I'm not holding my breath.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

Victor.

Postby Victor. » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:02 am

The funny thing about that is - that Beth'tilac 10 HM was quite overtuned for the first few weeks of the content. Because the spiders all had the exact same health pool in the 10 man version, as it did in the 25 man one.

Majordomo Staghelm was too easy at first in 10 man - then got his health significantly boosted. It just took a bit for Blizzard to fine-calibrate it.

Baleroc 25 is a joke if you ask me, you can stack like crazy and make the fight so ridiculously trivial it's not even funny. Yes, Shadow Priest - I am looking at you.

Then you've got encounters like Alysrazor where you got to have the right composition or you will have the hardest time ever to pull it off. 1 person missing his kick is a near guaranteed wipe if you don't have a healer nearby who can dispel the kicker.

Same with Ryholith, it's way harder in 10 man as it is in 25 man in my experience, mainly because we did it with 2 Melees staying on those legs the first few times we beat it - and getting that asshat to turn with 2 people on it, it was a major pain in the ass.

So yeah, some encounters are easier, some are harder, and that's what DREAM Paragon said too. It's kinda logical too that it's that way, if you think about it.

And I still think the biggest "difficulty" in 10 man usually is that you got 1 battle rez, if it hits a healer it's over - if it's a DD you can't lose another or you WILL definitely wipe - sometimes even despite the battle rez you still wipe because you can't make the enrage timer (Or couldn't, when you first tried those encounters, now with the gear-improvement etc, that's another story of course)

So yeah, I don't agree that 10 man is easier. Although we downed Beth'tilac on our first try ever too ;)

And your comparison is a bit lackluster - since it basically shows that you had a ton of rotten apples in your 25 man raid. Usually you take those people to a 10 man that you know can get the job done, whatever it is.

So yeah, that's two different things entirely if you ask me.

----

And we grew a little lazy over the past few weeks, did our 6 Hardmodes on 1 or sometimes 2 days if we had to introduce the encounters to a new member - but I guess we'll start Raggy next week to finish the encounter, with the impeding nerf incoming I fear we won't get him down just by 2 days of trying so yeah - that will suck a little but then, I am only logging for raids these days to be in TS and have some trash-talking fun, not really that into WoW anymore.

Guild wars 2 looks great though, guess I'll play that next, besides more RPing again in SL ;)
Leah

Postby Leah » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:55 am

Not interested in Guild Wars 2 since they have gotten rid of the dedicated healer role (which is the only role that really appeals to me).

I have, instead, been RPing in WoW and eschewing SL. I've been having a lot of fun, got into two very good RP guilds, and have been doing an extensive amount of RP-PvP making use of RealID to facilitate cross-faction RP. We had 80 Horde show up to an event to defend Thunder Bluff from the alliance, and last night I got my face completely murderized by my dear Blood Elf friends when my Draenei guild confronted them in Crystalsong Forest.

I've even been doing Arenas. And, I'm having far more fun (with less stress) than I did raiding (although I'm convinced at this point that Arenas and PvP in general are far harder than raid content) or playing in SL. :problem:

As far as the 10 vs. 25 question goes, you might want to consider the number of 25 man guilds left. There aren't many. There is exactly one on my home server, and they're 1/7 HM. On most servers, the vast majority of guilds are 10 man at this point, because there's no point in going through the extra trouble of forming a 25 man - why should you when the raids are treated precisely the same, despite their myriad differences? There are fewer and fewer applicants available to 25 man guilds, and because of the differences between 10 and 25 man encounters (and yes, there are differences, especially with how healers perform during the encounter itself), there's a learning curve when dealing with people whose only experience at this point is with 10 man style raiding.

I understand that you like your 10 man raiding. And that's okay. If it's fun for you, that's great. Sadly, Blizzard has effectively destroyed the type of raiding I enjoy, and it upsets me greatly. It a perfect world, I guess we could co-exist, but that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Thyri
SL Name: Thyri Carver
Caste: Scribe
Role: Free Woman

Postby Thyri » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:13 am

Yes Lia's been RPing in goldshire.

I keed I keed.

But I've been raiding horribly casually since firelands. I really have not seen the ZOMGWOW factor in a lot of the firelands content.

Yes we get it Blizz, you love movement fights. I dont necessarily mind them on my spriest.. mwahahaha. WoW sucked the life out of my mage however.

And with the tanking changes, I just forsee all of the complaints about people having 15-30 minute heroic queues turning into a bitchfest about tanks unable to understand the concept of mitigation.

I dont know, I've pretty much also taken to RPing in WoW a lot and have been having a blast at it. Its been more fun than i've had in a long time.
Be very polite. -Flagg RIP 2009
Vylixan
SL Name: Massah Dude
Owner: I own.

Postby Vylixan » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:54 am

No RP in WoW at all. SL = for RP , WoW is for Pew Pew.

I left the US server and joined a nice guild in the EU. A raiding guild . Started last week Sunday and now a week later I am at lvl 51 of course as protpally what else :) Its now leveling to 85 , gearing up and raiding and having loads of fun.
Leah

Postby Leah » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:57 am

I used to believe that, but then I joined The Sha'nash, and I've since re-evaluated my position on the subject.

I've had fantastic RP with this guild, and even more cross-faction RP when we engage in RP-PVP events with Horde guilds on the server.

And the best part? I get to pew pew (well, "heal! heal!") my wee heart out during the RP-PVP events...yes...even while playing a female. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “World of Warcraft”