SWTOR : Free to Play model

For all you Star Wars Junkies. May the Force Be With You.
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

SWTOR : Free to Play model

Postby Tantus » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:04 pm

After resignations and two rounds of layoffs, they're turning to the Free-to-Play model:

SW:ToR wrote:
SUBSCRIPTION VS. FREE FEATURES

Story Content: Players can play their full class stories from levels 1 to 50.
FULL ACCESS | FULL ACCESS

Character Creation Choices: Some character creation options, such as species, are limited to subscribers.
FULL ACCESS | LIMITED ACCESS

Warzones: Free players are limited in terms of how many Warzones they can play per week.

Flashpoints: Free players are limited in terms of how many Flashpoints they can play per week.

Space Missions: Free players are limited in terms of how many Space Missions they can play per week.

Operations: Only Subscribers may complete Operations.
FULL ACCESS | NO ACCESS

Travel Features: Subscribers have access to all travel functionality, making getting around the world easier.

Game Login: Subscribers will always be in login queues ahead of free players.
PRIORITY ACCESS | NORMAL ACCESS

Galactic Trade Network: Subscribers can post up to 50 auctions for sale.
CAN POST 50 LISTINGS | EXTREMELY LIMITED ACCESS

Price$14.99 / MONTH | FREE

This will happen after their server mergers, but after Guild Wars 2's release!

I probably will install it again to play through the class stories - if GW2 fails on the PvP front.
Elle Couerblanc
SL Name: Elle

Re: SWTOR : Free to Play model

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:29 pm

I think this is a good move on there part. I like SWTOR PVP but I am slowly losing interest in the game in general. I also have a group I play with that love to RP - but the text interface annoys me too much to hold my interest regarding any long term stories.
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Visit me at Elle's World http://ellecouerblanc.com/
Resolver Bouchard

Postby Resolver Bouchard » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:38 pm

SWTOR just wasn't a good game.

I have no problem with paying, what is really a trivial amount, to play a good game. Hopefully its failure will bring some innovation back to the MMORPG market.
Mat
SL Name: Mat
Caste: Warrior
Role: Defender of Freedom

Postby Mat » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:46 pm

Resolver Bouchard wrote:SWTOR just wasn't a good game.

I have no problem with paying, what is really a trivial amount, to play a good game. Hopefully its failure will bring some innovation back to the MMORPG market.

Somehow I doubt it it seems that a game failing is just a dime a dozen. Dont know what a winning formula would be either because you clearly can not please everyone. To many competing agendas pvp, casuals, hard core, raiders. Tho real problem is how to balance the casual gamers demands with the person who is not casual? I love Age of Conan but they watered it down to much for me and it is no longer fun it is so easy.
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him
Resolver Bouchard

Postby Resolver Bouchard » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:24 pm

Mat wrote:

Somehow I doubt it it seems that a game failing is just a dime a dozen. Dont know what a winning formula would be either because you clearly can not please everyone. To many competing agendas pvp, casuals, hard core, raiders. Tho real problem is how to balance the casual gamers demands with the person who is not casual? I love Age of Conan but they watered it down to much for me and it is no longer fun it is so easy.

To me it came across very much as an attempt to cash in on the reputation of the KOTOR games by introducing a subscription element but failed miserably at the KOTOR part (and so it has turned out - the subscription part as well). I loved KOTOR 1 & 2, I might actually dig them out and play games with stories that generate immersion and emotion.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:06 am

Resolver Bouchard wrote:
Mat wrote:

To me it came across very much as an attempt to cash in on the reputation of the KOTOR games by introducing a subscription element but failed miserably at the KOTOR part (and so it has turned out - the subscription part as well). I loved KOTOR 1 & 2, I might actually dig them out and play games with stories that generate immersion and emotion.

I loved KOTOR 2 (2 not so much, since it was published in an unfinished form, with the ending cut off, pretty much and replaced by one that didn't make much sense, something that reviewers at the time failed to notice, for some strange reason). But this game... I never played it, but everything about it made me think: meh.

I get that they want to make money. But if they want mine, they are just going to have to either make really interesting MMO's that make sense as MMO's, or they are just going to have to be satisfied taking my money in exchange for decent single player games for which I will pay once.

Return to “Star Wars”