Player Etiquette

For all you Star Wars Junkies. May the Force Be With You.
Crack and Thump
SL Name: 1

Player Etiquette

Postby Crack and Thump » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:38 am

So I joined a group that was doing Heroic 4s, last night. I am level 20, there were two 21s and a level 32, for some reason. I try to be as nice as possible to people and being malicious is just not my style, most of the time *grins*. I am still learning all the gaming etiquette stuff and one of the best ways to learn is by making a mistake, right?

When rolls are going on for stuff, I usually pass or greed. I just don't want to be involved when people are crying over losing and crap like that. A roll came up last night and when I saw the item, I thought of my companion and made a split second decision to need on the item. I had no idea a shit storm would roll in being that the entire time we had been running, I was letting everyone else have the stuff.

This sucky and I mean SUCKY Merc asked why I needed on the item. I answered, not knowing I was breaking a freaking gaming law. When I said that it was for my companion, the three of them blasted me. I had to hear that what I did was like needing for an alt, players come before companions and that I was so uncool. Normally, I feel bad and just drop out but freak that! After four years in Gor, I handed everyone their asses and then left and I was the healer. I did feel bad about making my last statement to the lvl 32. I told her that she sucked and that she got to her current lvl due to player Affirmative Action. I have no problem with Affirmative Action being that we never got the promise of forty acres and a mule but that is besides the point. They REALLY pissed me off.

I need some etiquette tips before I make it on the bad player's list. I guess being nice is not enough.
Crack and Thump

Re: Player Etiquette

Postby Crack and Thump » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:55 am

http://internetgames.about.com/od/gettingstarted/a/etiquette.htm

I guess this is a start, mostly common sense but I rather know stuff that irks players, especially in groups.
Caria
SL Name: Passion
Role: slave
Owner: Drenusius I Bernard
AkA: Passion Quintessa

Postby Caria » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:29 am

With friends and if they do not need the item, I need on an item for my companions. In groups of strangers I do not need for my companion. I do not usually look at the loot unless it is an upgrade for me. I only need for me. I find that the safest path. I hate loot angst.

And if I go from that path, I always ask.

Still getting all pissy about it seems a bit over the top. I would have left them as well. Be nice to the healer. Explain your view, move on. It is only loot and they will get better in a few levels.

But even in saying that, what irks me in groups is people needing on everything. That I would say something about, politely. After loot it is the situational. I have had ok groups so far and have not really had a problem. I am just so busy trying to get it done so I can got shop at GTN. This is why I never have money :D haha!

Good link as well C&T. :clap:
passion may encourage them to put their principles in the cabinet of tomorrow...
(Swordsmen of Gor)
TreatRothschild
SL Name: I'm Treat Dammit!
Role: Magistrate and Love Cthulhu
Home Stone: Hesius

Postby TreatRothschild » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:13 pm

I love you, T. You're my kind of woman.

*laughs*
Let me give you some advice bastard. Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.
Allison Millet
SL Name: Allison Millet
Role: bondmaid
Home Stone: Kalana Woods
Owner: Jarl Wolf

Postby Allison Millet » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:32 pm

Yea..I kinda just play it as it goes, for instance I was doing a group with a bunch of heroics before and we were greeding all the loot, and they were getting every single thing, finally on the last boss these awesome goggles come up and I was like screw it im needing them for andronikus, and I did and they were all whiney about it and I was like whatever and blew em off as we'd finished the heroics and disbanded any ways. The bottom line if there's something you want, go ahead and need it, don't worry so much about being all prim and proper. Now that said yea don't go needing every single item you see, that is just a bit of a jackass move but if there is something you want need it, if they really want it, they can need it as well. I have to laugh because I was running the esseles flash point for republics after they leave there first ship on my commando the other night, and the guy in my group was being a major lame ass, demanding I space bar through everything any time I let the story play out some, so I did just because it was easier to do that then listen to him bitch and moan, any ways I got my revenge, every single piece of loot that came up, I would let him select need or greed first, and then would pick the same option as he did....yea I cleared that place out and pulled every piece of loot, he was raging mad at the end. And of course the other night on my bounty hunter someone was going off at me because I won the greed roll for some nifty orange light saber and planned to send it to my alt later on, I just told him to bite me and go blow a light saber he shut up after that. Generally I pass on something if I don't need it, or will just greed roll for it, as for worrying about trying to appease everyone else, I wouldn't bother, you'll never be able to, just play your game and have your fun and look out for like minded invidividuals to group up with and play with.
Hockey Stick!
Crack and Thump

Postby Crack and Thump » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:51 pm

@Caria - Yeah. If they would have explained that what I did was frowned upon in their opinion, I would have taken it as constructive and been more careful, even asking if I did want something for my companion.

@Treat - HeHe. My virtual skin is definitely getting thicker.

@Allison - Telling someone to blow on a lightsaber is going to make me laugh throughout the day.

I do get what you mean though. I can't be Strawberry Shortcake all the time. I have to find my inner Cruella deVille with some of these mofos.
Caria
SL Name: Passion
Role: slave
Owner: Drenusius I Bernard
AkA: Passion Quintessa

Postby Caria » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:42 pm

Crack and Thump wrote: I do get what you mean though. I can't be Strawberry Shortcake all the time. I have to find my inner Cruella deVille with some of these mofos.

haha! I know what you mean. I usually get irritated at the ones whining on pvp ops channel. I say something now and then that is summed up with, quit your whining and just play or leave.

Generally I try to be polite. But I can turn and give them a piece of my mind but I always think in the back of my mind, this could be someone's child.
passion may encourage them to put their principles in the cabinet of tomorrow...
(Swordsmen of Gor)
Elle Couerblanc
SL Name: Elle

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:04 pm

OMG I take everything. Am I not supposed to? :hiding:
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Visit me at Elle's World http://ellecouerblanc.com/
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:55 pm

The easiest way to deal with this is...

Just ask before you roll. Just type in party, "Hey, my companion could really use that. Anyone mind if I take?"

9 times out of 10, no one cares. They'd rather have it be used than become vendor trash.

Just keep in mind the stats and armor types that your fellow party members may need, and ask before hitting the need button unless it's something YOU can use.
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Aphris
SL Name: Aphris Myoo
Role: Yearkeeper & Trader
Home Stone: Kataii

Postby Aphris » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:26 pm

She smiled. "I have grown fond of the smell of bosk," said she. Kamchak smiled. He held his hand to the girl. "Ride with me, Aphris of Turia," said Kamchak of the Tuchuks. Image

Return to “Star Wars”