Class Help/Suggestions

For all you Star Wars Junkies. May the Force Be With You.
Chron
SL Name: Chron Minotaur

Re: Class Help/Suggestions

Postby Chron » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:08 pm

There is not a need to follow other people's builds, that won't teach you how to play your class, it's only instructing you to add abilities 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5 onto your quickbar and to press buttons in this order; 1, 2, 3, 3, 2, 3, 3, 1, 4, 5.

That's not fun for anyone, it's not helping you or your group.
Take a look through the abilities tab, add all of your attacking actions to one QB. Then find an Elite or Champion to test them on. Hit it with each ability 3-5 times, taking note of how much damage it does. And when it's dead, you will know which are your most damaging, which have the longest cool down, which use the least resources.

Abilities with the longest cool down, should be used early in the fight. This is the only way you will learn you class, better than reading any number of guides out there.

P.S. If you have heals... use them! Interrupts, CC, Heals, Taunts, Debuffs all make the class more useful. Healing is one of the best back-up talents you can have, it's only difficult when the tank is failing to control agro, so it's not your fault if people died because everyone was being attacked, that's something you can blame on the lazy tank and noob DPS that's pulling agro.
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:03 pm

Thing is, if a non-healer attempts to move in and start healing because things get hairy, sometimes it works.

But a lot of the time, it does not. For one thing, those who go down the healing tree have access to talents and abilities that a DPS-specced person will not have access to. For instance, if a Lightning-specced Sith Sorcerer goes off and starts trying to heal through a period of heavy damage, they're going to run themselves out of Force very, very quickly. Then, their only recourse to get their Force back in a timely manner is going to be to use Consumption, which will eat their health and end up making them a further burden to the healer, who will have to heal them up. When you add in the fact that a Corruption-specced healer is going to have extra talents and abilities making their heals hit harder than an Inquisitor without those talents, it often makes more sense for a DPS to continue DPSing if the healer drops - if only because they are more likely to get the boss down before a wipe if they DPS. Most of the time, a DPS-specced character will not be able to heal a tank through damage that the healing-specced character was not able to.
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Chron
SL Name: Chron Minotaur

Postby Chron » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:23 pm

For difficult endgame encounters, you're right about people sticking to their roles as dedicated healers, tanks and DPS. During the leveling-up part of the game, there's some flexibility in the role for just about every class.

To give you an idea of how difficult it is to find a healing-spec Sage.... upto lv39, I have grouped with only two. In all of the other Heroics and FPs we got by on secondary healers; DPS spec'd Commandos and Scoundrels(Merc/Operative) and sometimes using just my healing pet.

When I played my Scoundrel, he was the only healer in groups and he does fine to keep a single target alive but he can't keep up if the agro spreads and everyone needs healing. That's where you need a dedicated healer.. or.. a tank who can control agro. It was those instances that led me to rolling a Vanguard, which I overlooked in December as it appeared to be the most boring class of all.

I've never been into tanks before, prefering rogues, healers or CC, but I'm having a blast with the Vanguard, it's more than a tank, he can debuff, CC, shutdown casters and you can tell who the rotation-addicts are, they're the ones who turn away in confusion when you've blocked their combination and with your snare, stuns, charge and harpoon, there's no escaping from a vanguard.

That is why I suggested to C&T not to base her levelling on a single guide, take a look at everything you have and start using it. A 'how to wtfpwn with your sorcerer" guide by a lv30, with screenshots of him earning x6 and x7 medals is trolling, at best. It's more a summary of the abilities which work for him.

What I like about this game is there is not a single cookie-cutter spec which everyone is using. Every build can be adjusted to your particular playstyle. Though I might roll a Sage next to try this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1O0y73chUw
Leah

Postby Leah » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:46 pm

This probably explains why my RP partner is like, "NO WE MUST LEVEL TOGETHER!" when I mentioned rolling a Jedi Sage to try out the Consular questline (I'm a healer through and through - I always end up taking the class with the option to heal).

Of course, RPing through the questline with a Gunslinger and a Jedi Sage is just...well, many lulz were had.

Protip: the Gunslinger (it may actually be the Smuggler ability, but I only know one, a Gunslinger) ability that drops threat is hilarious and everyone should see it at least once. Utterly fantastic.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

Elle Couerblanc
SL Name: Elle

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:49 pm

Lia wrote:Protip: the Gunslinger (it may actually be the Smuggler ability, but I only know one, a Gunslinger) ability that drops threat is hilarious and everyone should see it at least once. Utterly fantastic.

I love my Smuggler and I am trying to get Ice to move from the Empire so I can play with him on this character. I rolled in a new character thinking I wanted to give up the gunslinger class but after reading what you just said..I am not so sure now LOL.
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Visit me at Elle's World http://ellecouerblanc.com/
Leah

Postby Leah » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:46 am

Elle Couerblanc wrote:
Lia wrote:Protip: the Gunslinger (it may actually be the Smuggler ability, but I only know one, a Gunslinger) ability that drops threat is hilarious and everyone should see it at least once. Utterly fantastic.

I love my Smuggler and I am trying to get Ice to move from the Empire so I can play with him on this character. I rolled in a new character thinking I wanted to give up the gunslinger class but after reading what you just said..I am not so sure now LOL.

You scream like a girl, drop a pile of coins and jewelry at your feet, and throw your hands up in the air like you're surrendering. You can actually run around with your hands like that. It's totally hilarious.

Caria
SL Name: Passion
Role: slave
Owner: Drenusius I Bernard
AkA: Passion Quintessa

Postby Caria » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:33 am

Chron wrote:What I like about this game is there is not a single cookie-cutter spec which everyone is using. Every build can be adjusted to your particular playstyle. Though I might roll a Sage next to try this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1O0y73chUw

Yes that!

I am getting into more and more pvp outside of warzones as I level up. I have had a few on me at a time, higher level than I. I am glad I stack endurance because I last a little longer and can put some hurting on them.

In the video, the sage player has a real good sense of the space, moving to out of line of sight. They look so calm. :D But outside warzones you have to deal with Imperial companions whaling on you as well.

Lvl 33 Master Sith Inquistor killed, me (lvl 30)Jedi Sage. But I got him half way down in hit points. He had his companion and then another Imperial helped him finish me off. I was dead on the ground and he stood over me and seethed before he left. Haha! Was fun.

So I stack Willpower, Endurance then Critical. Those crits hurt and I believe crit is most excellent for healing as well.

See what works. I am going up the healing tree and it works for me. Just have to get use to my abilities and use them well for the situation.

So I think there is lots of flexibility in the builds and go with what works for your play style. I like looking at builds and trying new ones out.
passion may encourage them to put their principles in the cabinet of tomorrow...
(Swordsmen of Gor)
Allison Millet
SL Name: Allison Millet
Role: bondmaid
Home Stone: Kalana Woods
Owner: Jarl Wolf

Postby Allison Millet » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:31 pm

I like to do my twilek social dance over and on the bodies of higher levels I catch trying to beat up on our lower levels that I kill with my sorcerer.
Hockey Stick!
Caria
SL Name: Passion
Role: slave
Owner: Drenusius I Bernard
AkA: Passion Quintessa

Postby Caria » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:21 pm

Allison Millet wrote:I like to do my twilek social dance over and on the bodies of higher levels I catch trying to beat up on our lower levels that I kill with my sorcerer.

Haha, very funny! I do not think that I have ever danced with my twiliek though I did accidently buy a dancer's top when I was just trying to see what it would look like on my character. I forget where that was, Nar Shadda or Alderaan.

I thought it was great that he seethed though. Then he left which was better. haha!
passion may encourage them to put their principles in the cabinet of tomorrow...
(Swordsmen of Gor)
Leah

Postby Leah » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:17 pm

Caria wrote:So I stack Willpower, Endurance then Critical. Those crits hurt and I believe crit is most excellent for healing as well.

No, you actually want to go Willpower, Power, and Alacrity if you're healing. Power is an overall, consistent boost to your healing. Crit is RNG, and thus not dependable. Alacrity beats out Surge because Alacrity is not tied to Crit (Surge increases the size of your overall Crits), and is also a consistent boost to your healing (the faster you cast, the more heals you can get off, the faster your Innervate ticks).

Return to “Star Wars”