Class Help/Suggestions

For all you Star Wars Junkies. May the Force Be With You.
Caria
SL Name: Passion
Role: slave
Owner: Drenusius I Bernard
AkA: Passion Quintessa

Re: Class Help/Suggestions

Postby Caria » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:57 pm

Lia wrote:
Caria wrote:So I stack Willpower, Endurance then Critical. Those crits hurt and I believe crit is most excellent for healing as well.

No, you actually want to go Willpower, Power, and Alacrity if you're healing. Power is an overall, consistent boost to your healing. Crit is RNG, and thus not dependable. Alacrity beats out Surge because Alacrity is not tied to Crit (Surge increases the size of your overall Crits), and is also a consistent boost to your healing (the faster you cast, the more heals you can get off, the faster your Innervate ticks).

Thanks Lia. I am just now seeing Alacrity and Surge on gear now. I am level 31.

I read somewhere that Crit over power for Sages. Power is for Sorcerers. But I'll look into it, thanks for the info. I have changed my order now... Endurance, Willpower primary just so I can take the hits when you Imps are ganking me :)
passion may encourage them to put their principles in the cabinet of tomorrow...
(Swordsmen of Gor)
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:10 pm

Caria wrote:Thanks Lia. I am just now seeing Alacrity and Surge on gear now. I am level 31.

I read somewhere that Crit over power for Sages. Power is for Sorcerers. But I'll look into it, thanks for the info. I have changed my order now... Endurance, Willpower primary just so I can take the hits when you Imps are ganking me :)

Since Sage and Sorcerer are mirror classes, the stat priority should be the same for both. Crit and Surge are better stats for non-healing Sorcerers, however, and for Assassins/Shadows.

You won't really be able to get a lot of secondary stats on your gear until about...I'd say the 40s. Towards the end, you start seeing more and more secondary stats, and you start having to really prioritize.

Of course, I always level up with moddable gear and either purchase upgrades with commendations or take the mods that are offered as rewards from quests.
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Caria

Postby Caria » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:14 pm

Lia wrote: Of course, I always level up with moddable gear and either purchase upgrades with commendations or take the mods that are offered as rewards from quests.

I love the moddable gear. I am Cybertech and I am able to keep up with crafting for my level. But I scavenge and slice like a fiend. I received a very nice mod for a quest reward as well earlier today. I very much enjoy how one can customize one's outfit somewhat and have been wearing the same outfit since my teens I think.

I know the Sorc and the Sage are somewhat mirror classes, but I have been reading up and for Sage it seems that crit is more important over power. Going up the Sage healing tree there is Resplendence Tier 6

Resplendence
Passive, 2 ranks
Requires 1 point in Healing Trance
Healing Trance crits have a 50/100% chance to make the next Noble Sacrifice activate without degenerating Force and without spending any health.

I have had to use Noble Sacrifice during a particular +4 where we were only +3. So getting it for free without having to sacrifice health and the degenerating Force would make getting crit umm...critical :) for Sages going up the healing Tree. It may be different for TK's and Balance trees.

Now if I have had more power, maybe I would not have needed to use Noble Sacrifice. I do not know.

Now how much crit? I have read 20 percent. Right now at lvl 31 I am at 13.52 percent.

I know there is discussion about this crit thing and some healers really disliking that crit is such an important stat over... let's say power, for Sages. The discussion gets too theorycrafty for me and my eyes glaze over. But at the end, it seems crit is it.

I solo quite a bit, so Presence is another important stat up there with Endurance and Willpower. After Crit there is surge then Alacrity. Someone mentioned accuracy as well, but I am not sure I have seen that stat on anything yet. :shifty:

passion may encourage them to put their principles in the cabinet of tomorrow...
(Swordsmen of Gor)
Leah

Postby Leah » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:21 pm

Here's the thing, Caria - the skills, the abilities, are exactly the same. They just have different names.

Sorcerers have the exact same talent that you listed. But what you failed to account for is the talent that affects Rejuvenate. If you go 2/2 into Conveyance (it causes it to give the target an armor boost, hastes your cast-time-heals, etc), it ALSO gives you a 25% Crit boost to your Healing Trance, making carrying around extra Crit unnecessary (as you are basically guaranteed that at least one of your Healing Trance ticks will crit).

You see, I don't just play a Sorcerer. I also play a Sage.

Any healer will tell you that consistent, reliable strength to your healing spells will always, always, always beat out RNG stats like Crit.

As far as Accuracy goes, as long as you spec 3/3 into Clairvoyance (which you absolutely should as a healer), you never have to worry about it.

Presence is also something you don't need to concern yourself with - 2/2 into Wisdom solves that problem for you. You should never gear for Presence over other stats that will do more for you. Surge makes your Crits "bigger," but is still tied to an RNG stat. So if you are given the option, you should always try to go for Power and Alacrity over Crit and Surge, as Power and Alacrity are much better for a healer.

Edited to add extra information, and fix spell names.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

Caria

Postby Caria » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:58 am

Power comes on most of my gear, so I can't get away from power even I wanted to. So maybe it is a bit of a miscommunication. When I get gear with crit as well I am pleased. I will choose it over gear that does not have crit. I will put an enhancement, mod that has crit.

'Alacrity allows you to heal more often, but at a cost to your resource efficiency. Crit allows your heals to provide much more throughput, but at a cost of predictability. Power provides less risk, but also less reward - consistent increased throughput and predictability.'
http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questio ... er-or-crit

So it comes down to play style. One thing I noticed in the discussions that I read was that there is no stat that directly effects the size of any healers resource pool, or the rate at which it regenerates. So different than WoW and I think that is brilliant. It kind of frees us up to make some choices about how we want to play, which I find totally refreshing and a challenge.

A person wants predictability, that is great, get more and more power. Someone else wants to cast faster, or crit because of talents or even because they like to see the big crit numbers and is not concerned with consistent predictability, that is fine as well. Our gear will give us power anyways. The other stuff can help us customize a play style.

So there is no one way to play it as far as I can see. We have options and a healer does not have to choose to stack power over what is on their gear they pick up. Or they can.

I may think differently when I am at endgame and choose to get more power because I am only healing encounters. But right now, crit works for me because I do many things at an encounter, even kick the enemy when I can :) I wonder if I can get a crit on doing that? :shock:
(Swordsmen of Gor)
Leah

Postby Leah » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:06 am

Anything that does damage or healing and does not have the language "but cannot crit" should be able to crit in SWTOR.

As far as what the quote said, that's nice and all, but I can tell you from 6 years of experience healing end game content in a variety of platforms that consistent, dependable boosts to your healing will always be stronger than RNG. Always. That "less risk, less reward" statement is a misnomer. As a healer, I need to know what my heal will hit for in order to correctly choose the spell that I use. If I'm depending on Crit to save my bacon, then sooner or later (generally sooner) it's going to let me down when I need it most. Unlike with DPS, when a healer takes a risk, people in your raid die and you risk a wipe.

I did a quick check with some healer friends currently healing endgame content in SWTOR, and every last one of them said that Power and Alacrity are by far superior to Crit and Surge for a healer. Interestingly, while you may have a lot of Power on your gear now, you will start to see that vanish as you get gear from hardmodes, PvP and operations, making mods and enhancements one of the only ways to get the stat on gear.

There will always be an "optimal" way to gear and spec. Statements like, "there is no one way to play it" are, again, misnomers. Perhaps on a casual level it is not so great of a detriment to your party or operation if you're gearing and speccing in a less than optimal fashion, but in any sort of progression environment, you're gibbing your raid because you think you know better than the math.

You are free to gear for whatever you want, however, as an experienced healer, I'm just saying that you're shooting yourself in the foot and you are not pushing your potential. But, I can tell that only time and experience will show that to you, so I wish you well on that one.

Caria

Postby Caria » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:33 am

Lia wrote:
There will always be an "optimal" way to gear and spec. Statements like, "there is no one way to play it" are, again, misnomers. Perhaps on a casual level it is not so great of a detriment to your party or operation if you're gearing and speccing in a less than optimal fashion, but in any sort of progression environment, you're gibbing your raid because you think you know better than the math.

You are free to gear for whatever you want, however, as an experienced healer, I'm just saying that you're shooting yourself in the foot and you are not pushing your potential. But, I can tell that only time and experience will show that to you, so I wish you well on that one.

I healed in WoW for 6 years, end game and all, so I know what you are saying. SWTOR is different than WoW in that most classes can heal except the warrior if they choose this path. And they can heal in a myriad of ways based on talents and how they shape their gear.

So I am in a group with a Commando and a Vanguard. The Commando can do a little healing. It is not dependent that I have the best heals all the time. In other instances, there are companion healers and it is best to put out a little more hard hitting dps, some crits. I am willing to experiment.

But I am a casual player currently, rping, pvping and running quests mostly on my own and am open to do things in a new way and I am just not convinced that SWTOR has to be played the same way as any other game in the past.

I welcome suggestions and do not profess to know it all, even after 6 years of only playing a healer in WoW. So I thank you for your opinions and will consider it as I am leveling up :)
(Swordsmen of Gor)

Return to “Star Wars”