Star Wars the Old Republic

For all you Star Wars Junkies. May the Force Be With You.

Will you play SWTOR?

Yes, I will.
33%
Yes, I will.
33%
No, I will not.
17%
No, I will not.
17%

Total votes: 66
Allison Millet
SL Name: Allison Millet
Role: bondmaid
Home Stone: Kalana Woods
Owner: Jarl Wolf

Re: Star Wars the Old Republic

Postby Allison Millet » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:05 pm

My names more original lol its just Allison lolz, as for guild names why not just call it The Hermits.
Hockey Stick!
Victor.
SL Name: Victor Klavinham
Role: Mister Internet
Home Stone: SalernuM
Owner: V for VESSEL

Postby Victor. » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:22 am

Allison Millet wrote:
Victor. wrote:Well the gist of the matter is I DO achieve those FPS numbers - at least I did in the past. And lately it just comes down crushing.

Guess my system is past its life cycle after that year already -_-

SWTOR always reminds me of Second Life in that regard - it looks like a piece of shit, considering it's a 2012 released MMO and the engine still can't get its stuff together when there are multiple avatars on one screen. Kinda pathetic.

I'll grant you it doest look super ultra new and flashy compared to something like skyrim, but then you do have to recall it's an MMO and they are trying to make the game as accessible to as many people with whatever sort of pc's that they might have as they possibly can. As to the second part, about the engine and stuff, I've yet to see that in any war zone I've played in my fps has been fine and plays around 60 fps, the whole time it dips down to the 30's is when I'm on the empire fleet, republic fleet I get by on fine, mostly that may be due to the fact republic fleet has about 75-100 people on it at any given time and the empire fleet has 250-300

Not to derail the FPS thread - but have you ever been in Illum? :D

The whole point of an engine like that - and let's face it, the Hero engine just doesn't shine in a MMO - is to make it run SMOOTH.

Sure, I don't get lags either when I am levelling or standing around in a capital - but if there are a couple players around you, engaged in combat it's usually quite disastrous.

So yeah, you can't compare it to Skyrim - but you sure can compare it to Tera Online & Guild Wars 2 and for that...it looks absolutely lacklustre, plays clumsy (ability delay anyone?) and worst of all - has more bugs than a dog has ticks.

I loved levelling, I love doing some warzones, but if you're doing hard mode flash points or yet alone raids, you'll curse the game out pretty soon.
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft. // Jealousy is a passion, seeking zealously what causes suffering. Franz Grillparzer
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:23 pm

Victor. wrote:I loved levelling, I love doing some warzones, but if you're doing hard mode flash points or yet alone raids, you'll curse the game out pretty soon.

2 hours in Battle for Illum trying to figure out why we had been able to do the second (or was it third? I forget) boss the night before but not that night. Two hours. And we had no solution until I asked around and found out there was a (hahahaha) bug with how the guy's shield worked.

No combat log. No way to edit my UI. Persistent bugs that not only affect the quality of life in the game, but also affect raid progression. The encounters are simplistic because they can't be anything else until they get a combat log. There's no real point in trying out the end content because it's a terrible chore - at least in part because you can't see what's actually killing people (it could be stupidity, it could be a bug, you'll never know for sure!), you can't see who isn't pulling their weight, etc. In fact, you can't even see who the bad guys target - so how the hell are you supposed to save your healer from them?

Until they fix a lot of issues, the only thing keeping me playing SWTOR is the friendships I've made. The endgame is not remotely engaging.
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Elle Couerblanc
SL Name: Elle

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:11 pm

After a years break, I have returned to SWTOR with a vegeance! So much about it has improved and it seems to have a pretty healthy player base. My friend who is a hardcore gamer and started SWTOR with the beta then left gives it a huge thumbs up now.

If you haven't tried it in a while, you may want to now. I am really enjoying it and of course I am huge fan of the SW universe.
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Visit me at Elle's World http://ellecouerblanc.com/
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:17 pm

I've been told the game had been made very 'pay-2-win' lately with a heavy emphasis on requiring essential items to be bought from the item shop?
Elle Couerblanc

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:27 pm

No not at all. I just chose to buy from the store because I liked the way some of the armor looked (Even in SW I am still a Fashion whore). You can still get plenty of modifiable gear through drops or spending your commendations. The store bought armor though can be worn by all classes and all levels. Also the items in the store are limited releases so it has helped revive the GTN too because with an unopened box you can place it up for sale for others to buy.

In terms of commendations what's nice now is they have combined all the planet comms into a universal comm called a planetary comm. So you aren't forced to use your comms before you leave the planet. Plus PVP comms can be converted to Planetary comms.

Edited to Add: For those who don't want to buy "cartel coins" (the money you buy with RL money to spend on the web based cartel market) they can utilize the GTN to buy armor releases - which has helped boost the GTN. The items in the store are limited releases and if you have an unopened box you can place it up for sale for others to buy.
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:36 pm

Elle Couerblanc wrote:After a years break, I have returned to SWTOR with a vegeance! So much about it has improved and it seems to have a pretty healthy player base. My friend who is a hardcore gamer and started SWTOR with the beta then left gives it a huge thumbs up now.

If you haven't tried it in a while, you may want to now. I am really enjoying it and of course I am huge fan of the SW universe.

Do you still have to pay to hide your helm slot?

And for extra action bars?
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Elle Couerblanc

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:48 pm

Leah wrote:
Elle Couerblanc wrote:After a years break, I have returned to SWTOR with a vegeance! So much about it has improved and it seems to have a pretty healthy player base. My friend who is a hardcore gamer and started SWTOR with the beta then left gives it a huge thumbs up now.

Do you still have to pay to hide your helm slot?

And for extra action bars?

Not sure. I went ahead and bought a subscription pack which included some coins for shopping :lol:

Return to “Star Wars”