PLEASE READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING!
Darius of Turia
SL Name: Darius Vayandar
Caste: Red
Role: Ubar no more!
Home Stone: City of Turia

Re: What is Para RP to you.

Postby Darius of Turia » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:36 pm

Does your screen size have to do with all this also? I mentioned it in the OP and im really curious. What if you are someone who has a huge massive screen and your chat box is streached out across half of it. Doesnt 3 lines normally become one in such a massive area? Does that mean that someone is only para to some people and not everyone?
"Life is as a storm, one must be prepared for the hardship and scorn. But with in this is a light, one for which we must fight. For hope is our weapon and our dreams are our shield. When fully armed we can not be felled from the field."
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:33 pm

Darius of Turia wrote:Does your screen size have to do with all this also? I mentioned it in the OP and im really curious. What if you are someone who has a huge massive screen and your chat box is streached out across half of it. Doesnt 3 lines normally become one in such a massive area? Does that mean that someone is only para to some people and not everyone?

The true para-RP-er will sometimes smugly remark that they have a huge screen, play SL in a high resolution, with a tiny font and that they have their chat-box blown up all the way from the left to the very right of their screen. So, one line for them would already be 3 lines for me.
Theoden
SL Name: Theoden
Caste: Warrior

Postby Theoden » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:59 am

Darius of Turia wrote:Does your screen size have to do with all this also? I mentioned it in the OP and im really curious. What if you are someone who has a huge massive screen and your chat box is streached out across half of it. Doesnt 3 lines normally become one in such a massive area? Does that mean that someone is only para to some people and not everyone?

I've thought about this today as well. I wouldn't say a line is a sentence, for there could be very short sentences. I'd say 1 line is basically the length of your question here, imo.

What if you are someone who has a huge massive screen and your chat box is streached out across half of it.
Oor
SL Name: Oor Breen
Home Stone: ROIAF: GoT RP

Postby Oor » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:30 pm

SO. Having taken a little more notice of my own RP over the last while, I basically call bullshit on myself :)

I tend to mirror. If I'm getting long posts, I give them. If I'm getting shorter posts, ditto. And the amount of 'unknowable' information I give also tends to mirror what I'm getting, even if I do try to stay away from obvious spoilers and link info given in narrative with actions, words or visual cues.

Lied to you all. Muahaha.
I call my vagina "New Yorker cartoon" because it's dry and a handful of people have laughed at it.

Flix
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:05 pm

Oor wrote:SO. Having taken a little more notice of my own RP over the last while, I basically call bullshit on myself :)

I tend to mirror. If I'm getting long posts, I give them. If I'm getting shorter posts, ditto. And the amount of 'unknowable' information I give also tends to mirror what I'm getting, even if I do try to stay away from obvious spoilers and link info given in narrative with actions, words or visual cues.

Lied to you all. Muahaha.

You fiend. :fryingpan:
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Rhett
SL Name: Rhett Aelric

Postby Rhett » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:06 am

I'm a para RPer who doesn't count how many lines or sentences I write. It's just that I tend to type about one solid paragraph by feeling almost every post. By one solid paragraph, in this case, I mean about 3-5 sentences. Every so often, and mostly when I play with friends, I will do 2 or 3 paragraphs, but it really depends on the flow and how much everyone is writing.

I agree with giving hooks or tidbits of information before revealing anything big about your character. I try to do this myself. I want people to ask what happened, why my character is like that, or even to ask other people when my character is not around. That is how you create a web of RP. RP should be more like a network rather than some linear thing, in my opinion. I also want to play detective to a certain extent. That's half the fun of RP and creating a story with others. Although, I do agree that there are some things that I, the typist, like to know, but that I will make sure my character doesn't know. I think sometimes this is necessary when doing big story arcs with multiple people. Just some kind of trajectory. Other times, though, I thoroughly enjoy being as surprised as my character. So, the short answer is...a paragraph is whatever I write to cover a response to most everyone in the scene and drop a few bits of info for you to follow up on or that help set the tone. I don't enjoy para-fluff but I do enjoy a decent bit of prose.
He is but a poor philosopher who holds a view so narrow as to exclude forms not to his personal taste. - John Galsworthy
Dyce
SL Name: Dyce Boucher

Postby Dyce » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:47 am

I have come to realize that I stand by what my high school english teacher said.

A paragraph is roughly around 5 sentences. Can be more or less, but yeah. That's about it.

SENTENCES.

Not lines.

I shouldn't need to type and reply to 1 post while waiting for another to be posted while I am in a group larger than 3 people.

If I have to keep typing in notepad in order to keep up time-wise for a fluid session of roleplay in between incoming posts, then I don't feel like I am actually enjoying an interactive read/post session. It starts to feel like a job with a deadline.

I like to sit back, enjoy my drink while reading, and once the last person has posted and I've enjoyed reading their post, THEN I start typing.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:33 pm

Dyce wrote:I shouldn't need to type and reply to 1 post while waiting for another to be posted while I am in a group larger than 3 people.

If I have to keep typing in notepad in order to keep up time-wise for a fluid session of roleplay in between incoming posts, then I don't feel like I am actually enjoying an interactive read/post session. It starts to feel like a job with a deadline.

I like to sit back, enjoy my drink while reading, and once the last person has posted and I've enjoyed reading their post, THEN I start typing.

That also points to a beef I have with (long) para-RP. To pass the time waiting for very long posts and to be able to come up with a very long one in turn in a reasonable amount of time, many para-RP-ers engage in this 'prep-work' for when their turn comes along. You can often tell which part was written before the last reply: It is the stuff that isn't really a reaction to what the other characters do or say that makes up the first half of the post (and usually could be cut out without any impact to the scene). Why would people willingly engage in an interactive activity such as RP, and then spend part of their energy writing stuff that is essentially NON-INTERACTIVE (because it is written before there was anything to react to)? To me, that is an indication that a lot of para-RP is partially a contest of semi-interesting wordsmithing rather than actual RP.

(Not that I have anything against people sometimes writing a post while the other person is still typing, mind you. There can be instances in which your inspiration simply takes you, whether you are a para-RP-er or a normal/semi one.)
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Postby Tamar Luminos » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:42 pm

I'm admittedly impatient, and really don't like waiting 10+ mins. for a post, myself- so I try to give people the same courtesy and post as quickly as possible. Way I do it is I open up a Notepad page, and as my scene partner/s post, I read their post and type out my character's reactions to each post- this also helps keep me from missing someone's post or leaving someone out. Then by the time it gets back around to me, I generally only have to add the last few lines/reaction to the last person's post before me, and then c/p my post into the local chat. I'm usually able to keep my posting time down to about 5-7 minutes this way, even with having to go back and spellcheck on the fly. lol
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:16 pm

Exactly what I am talking about, Tamar.

I do wonder: say, if you had the option to RP with faster but shorter-form RP-ers... say, the type that usually puts out a post 2 to 3 minutes after you posted one, but with everything that is posted being a reaction to what you posted, assuming the people you play with are equally good as RP-ers, would you still feel obliged to start writing your post before they posted?

Return to “Debate It.”