What is Para RP to you.

PLEASE READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING!
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Re: What is Para RP to you.

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:27 am

Glaucon wrote:You guys keep on redefining para-RP as you prefer to think of it (and keep opposing it to one-line RP with examples that essentially make that 'noob RP').

I agree. We should just call one-lining 'noob RP'. :P
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:14 pm

Anarch Allegiere wrote:
Glaucon wrote:You guys keep on redefining para-RP as you prefer to think of it (and keep opposing it to one-line RP with examples that essentially make that 'noob RP').

I agree. We should just call one-lining 'noob RP'. :P

Derp: Tal.
Unck: Hey, bro.
Derp: Whatsup?
Derp: u raiding?
Unck: Maybe. ^^
Derp (shouting): RAIDERS AT THU DOCKS!!!!

Uh...Uh... Ah... Uh... Uh... Ah... Ah.... Uh... Ah... Uh... Uh...

*Unck (Unck7 Resident) has been captured By Derp (Barby Resident)!*

Unck: LOL WTF, bro?
Derp takes their fallen opponent's weapon or weapons and tosses it or them far out of reach or into any nearby river, making sure it is lost forever, doing do the same for a bow and any weapon they have visible, also remove their boots and loose clothing where weapons might be hidden.
Derp inspects their captive, taking a knife cutting off any clothing from their body and checking every orifice carefully for any hidden weapons, pins, or lock-picks, including probing the fallen foe's crotch, mouth and hair. They also perform a deep probe of the opponents asshole and pussy, if applicable, making sure there is no sword or other contraband or weaponry there.
Unck: I was just messin with u.
Unck: Damnit!
Derp looks down at the fallen foe and down and grabs 3 binding fibers from his belt. He takes the first fiber and wraps it around his/her legs in a strong gorean capture knot.
Derp takes the second fiber and wraps it around their wrists tying it in the same fashion as the ankles.
Derp takes the third fiber and finally attaches it to the arms making severel figgure 8 loops finishing off with a gorean capture knot. Also, he takes a gorean gag from his belt, stuffing it into the captive's mouth.
Unck: Come on!
Derp: u r gagged! STFU.
Shjade
SL Name: Shjade Rajal
Caste: Entertainer (Singer/Poet)
Role: Inspiration
Home Stone: Shangrila

Postby Shjade » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:21 pm

Glaucon wrote:RP in which you emote stuff (rather than just using dialogue) is not what defines para-RP. Maybe the lack of this it is what defines most single-line RP-ers (those often only emote when they really have to, such as binding emotes), but using this as a definition of what makes para-RP makes no sense to me.

I could make that example work just as well in reverse.

Innkeeper: "Listen, lady, I don't care who you think you are or what you think I owe you, this is my place and I say who stays and who goes. I told you my prices, I told you what's available. Are you paying for a room or not?"

One-liner: One-liner hands the innkeeper his fee.

Para RPer: "Fine, take the damn money. Now get out of my way."

It's less about dialogue vs emote than it is about how much content you're adding to the scene. Content meaning material that others around you can incorporate into their own RP. Hooks to work with and build on. Just paying for a room gives the innkeeper less information to play with than paying for a room, being hostile and acting superior. Now he knows more about the kind of person he's dealing with and how he might play off of that, what kind of reactions he can expect and aim for.

Otherwise he just has a name sitting in one of his rooms.

To be fair, yes, this is just what it means to me, and in truth it's more like "this is what interesting RP is to me" than specifically Para RP, so I suppose I was cheating a little. But then, the kind of people I RP with, who would almost universally be described as Para RP players, understand the concepts I'm describing: that sometimes less is more, that context is king, that content outweighs volume, etc.

If you wanted me to give you a literal definition, Para RP, to me, is an abbreviation of Paragraph Roleplay. Is that more helpful an answer?

Sidenote: Glaucon, that last post is perfect. Only in SL have I seen this phenomenon and it completely baffles me.
Conversation is more useful than conversion.
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:54 pm

Shjade wrote:

One-liner: One-liner hands the innkeeper his fee.

Para RPer: "Fine, take the damn money. Now get out of my way."

Most one liners in SL Gor give something to react. It's just poor content without detail. Para-rpers give details in expressing their emotions and gestures, they can add details regarding the environment as well and yes, it will take more one line and give more interesting content to which to react.

Your examples are both one liners.
Shjade

Postby Shjade » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:14 am

*shrugs* Without more context, they're both one line posts. In context, I often see differences between players who always post as little as possible vs players who know when they don't need to bloat an exchange.

And while you're disagreeing with my example, you're agreeing with the description, which suggests to me I just need better examples. ;p
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:40 pm

Shjade wrote:And while you're disagreeing with my example, you're agreeing with the description, which suggests to me I just need better examples. ;p

I'd say that it suggests your understanding of para-RP is quite idiosyncratic. It seems to be pretty much equal to good RP.

The fact that you said earlier that "Oh." could be a para-RP post too makes that pretty clear, as I was having a debate in an earlier thread in which I claimed that that could be a perfectly good RP-post in the right context, with others making it clear that they could not consider such a post RP at all, let alone para-RP.

Clearly, Para-RP does mean different things to people. The most basic (and in my view best) definition is simply equates it to 'paragraph' length RP, with the 'paragraph's' in that understood as longer bits of text that you typically find in books or essays (yes, short paragraphs are possible, but that is not what people mean).

Sassy clearly does not consider a post that doesn't have any non-dialogue stuff to be para-RP. I have heard others voice the same opinion.

And you could call the better sort of RP that describes something, gives others something more to work with than 'Sheathe your sword!" or "X binds you", in short, something other than typical one-line/noob RP para-RP, but I have no idea why you would. I call that RP in general, or maybe decent RP if I want to distinguish it from typical one-liner RP.

Before people came up with the term para-RP (to describe habit of some RP-ers to post very long posts constantly), the stuff you describe was called RP. Why rename it?

Well, I know why. People think in funny ways, when they think collectively. A certain way of doing things arises. Some people that don't like it give it a name. The name sticks. That way of doing things has certain clear disadvantages, but people do it anyway, 'embracing' it and rallying behind it to distinguish what they do from what some others do. And when annoying dudes like Glaucon come along to criticize what they do, pointing to obvious problems (like people being anal about pose-length, para-fluffing, group RP taking so long as to become nearly impossible with larger numbers, and so forth) they start looking for ways to redefine what they do.

I guess it is natural. It is how ideas evolve, from religions and political parties redefining themselves to get rid of unfortunate associations to things from the past, to brands reinventing themselves.

And if para-RP-ers are redefining para-RP as something that is no longer ludicrously fluffed, idiotically slow when everyone tries to write a novel in a group of 10 or moronically anal about everyone sticking to the length conventions and the posting orders all the time, then the likes of me will have defeated the windmill by turning para-RP into something I'd call semi-para RP or just RP. :thumbup:
Shjade

Postby Shjade » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:10 am

Glaucon wrote:And you could call the better sort of RP that describes something, gives others something more to work with than 'Sheathe your sword!" or "X binds you", in short, something other than typical one-line/noob RP para-RP, but I have no idea why you would. I call that RP in general, or maybe decent RP if I want to distinguish it from typical one-liner RP.

Before people came up with the term para-RP (to describe habit of some RP-ers to post very long posts constantly), the stuff you describe was called RP. Why rename it?

There's a reason I don't use the term "para-rp" outside of SL, where it's only used as a necessity for the local lexicon. This is that reason.

Para-RP, to me, isn't a thing. There's only RP. You can measure how long someone posts, sure, but it's not an indicator of anything other than how many words they used. I've met people who can write a lot of shit; it's still shit.

I don't think of myself as a para-RPer. I'm just a roleplayer. I do like to think I do it well, but it's not just because I know how to structure a paragraph. So why do I belong to a Para-RP group in SL?

So people know to give me a minute when they say "Tal" rather than walk away assuming I'm not writing a response, mostly.

(If you're wondering why I would need more than a second to reply to "Tal," it's because I generally think the first post in any given scene needs some of the most meat. It's what sets the scene, so to speak. That's the pose that tells you, Person Who Just Approached Me, what you're seeing. What I'm doing. What's going on in the area you've just entered. That takes a minute or two.)
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:36 am

Shjade wrote:Para-RP, to me, isn't a thing. There's only RP. You can measure how long someone posts, sure, but it's not an indicator of anything other than how many words they used. I've met people who can write a lot of shit; it's still shit.

I don't think of myself as a para-RPer. I'm just a roleplayer.

Well, no disagreement with that. Except that I think para-RP is still 'a thing'. But mostly a thing connected to the anal attitude you mentioned before.

So why do I belong to a Para-RP group in SL?

So people know to give me a minute when they say "Tal" rather than walk away assuming I'm not writing a response, mostly.

Fair enough. Personally, in mixed places, I just let them walk away, usually ending my post with something like "... stops talking, seeing the other person has wandered off halfway through his sentence." And if I am expecting someone to maybe be typing, I usually give them about 2 minutes, or more, depending on how high they rate on my noobimeter in terms of appearance. It has happened that I have walked off and they IM-ed me, annoyed that I did not give them more time. But only once that I recall. Far more common that I am waiting in vain and that the other person turns out to be another SL zombie. That happens everywhere. In para-RP places as much as elsewhere
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Postby Tamar Luminos » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:27 pm

Derp: Tal.
Unck: Hey, bro.
Derp: Whatsup?
Derp: u raiding?
Unck: Maybe. ^^
Derp (shouting): RAIDERS AT THU DOCKS!!!!

Uh...Uh... Ah... Uh... Uh... Ah... Ah.... Uh... Ah... Uh... Uh...

*Unck (Unck7 Resident) has been captured By Derp (Barby Resident)!*

Unck: LOL WTF, bro?
Derp takes their fallen opponent's weapon or weapons and tosses it or them far out of reach or into any nearby river, making sure it is lost forever, doing do the same for a bow and any weapon they have visible, also remove their boots and loose clothing where weapons might be hidden.
Derp inspects their captive, taking a knife cutting off any clothing from their body and checking every orifice carefully for any hidden weapons, pins, or lock-picks, including probing the fallen foe's crotch, mouth and hair. They also perform a deep probe of the opponents asshole and pussy, if applicable, making sure there is no sword or other contraband or weaponry there.
Unck: I was just messin with u.
Unck: Damnit!
Derp looks down at the fallen foe and down and grabs 3 binding fibers from his belt. He takes the first fiber and wraps it around his/her legs in a strong gorean capture knot.
Derp takes the second fiber and wraps it around their wrists tying it in the same fashion as the ankles.
Derp takes the third fiber and finally attaches it to the arms making severel figgure 8 loops finishing off with a gorean capture knot. Also, he takes a gorean gag from his belt, stuffing it into the captive's mouth.
Unck: Come on!
Derp: u r gagged! STFU.

That- is a really good example of noob roleplay. I think I died a little inside just reading that. lol
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
BlueConover
SL Name: Blue Conover
Caste: Red
Home Stone: Torcadino
AkA: Blue Conover

Postby BlueConover » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:58 am

Para role play when I started rping in chat rooms 18 years ago meant sharing a story between the various role players using lengthy posts.

Now it seems to be a way to gurgitate words ideas and eemotions to not further the story as a whole but to selfishly further one's own vanity and ego.

Do not godmode
do not metagame
thought emotes are bad.

These are basic principles of rp that everyone is asked to ssubscribe to... Until you begin para rping
now we become psychics empaths and seers able to read read minds emotions and the past just for some one to say "greetings" with not one part or their posts furthering the storyline except their own forced agenda .

Most of the time in para rp I grow bored of the fluff pomp and 5 - 10 minutes I'm waiting for posts.

I have come for rp.

If I wanted to read a book or write one. I would do so
He Lives....
Happiness is like Orgasms... The More you think about it.. The less you get...

Return to “Debate It.”