Visitors and Ranged Weapons

PLEASE READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING!
Dyce
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:49 pm
SL Name: Dyce Boucher

Re: Visitors and Ranged Weapons

Postby Dyce » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:20 pm

Architeuthis wrote:Also as a side note it would be grand if they would make a change to the blocking system--pressing block shouldn't make you duckwalk attack and block, it should just raise your shield and make it so you block but cant swing. You could still run though. Just some ideas to make it more fun and balanced without touching the big GM moneymaker.



Blocking without swinging? That would kill half of the in-novel combat strategies. People throw spears, thrust with spears, scorpion swords, etc. with their shields risen in the novels.

The idea of holding up a shield but not being able to swing is just... no. It defies all combative logic.

Only in 'OHSHIT!' moments would a person lift their shield and run at high speed without worrying about their weapons. The duckwalk is far more realistically frequent in combative terms than the ohshit-run.
Viggo
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:00 pm
SL Name: Saxon Rhiannyr
Caste: Scarlet
Role: Gorean Campus Teacher
Home Stone: Ar

Re: Visitors and Ranged Weapons

Postby Viggo » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:52 pm

Couple things to remember:

1. The torvie are the only that had quick firing bow, so to have is not gorean and ge to even have one. Scarlets had slow firing crossbows, peasants had slow firing long bow. Rest of the southern people had no ranged weapons, but everyone wants to be mr tough guy with a bow.

2. the quick fire and unlimited supply of arrows is godemoded and a cheat, but men enjoy the damage able to be done. So btb bows are for peasants and cowards gets thrown out, because people want to win against several people.

3. btb if you go to a city you are not apart of you are put on a pike by the scarlet and never welcomed, so to think they would let some stranger/enemy well armed to walk their city without guard is nonsense.

4. In sl gor is it because there are a lot of Aimbot and ge douches that come to btb sims to meter bully players and with bow one guy can defeat an entire sim. It is not realistic and sadly their lag hacks and Aimbot can't be detected.

....we have to deal with cheats and ge bow, but we don't have to be stupid and throw our lives and free women to a man's
User avatar
Leah
Posts: 1043
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:14 pm
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara
Location: Somewhere in Eorzea
Contact:

Re: Visitors and Ranged Weapons

Postby Leah » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:00 pm

Viggo wrote:3. btb if you go to a city you are not apart of you are put on a pike by the scarlet and never welcomed, so to think they would let some stranger/enemy well armed to walk their city without guard is nonsense.


I'm really not sure that fits with the setting, tbh. That would mean there was 0 trade occurring between cities, and we know that's not true. In Dancer, I know that the main character is transported through several cities before she's sold, and the men who own her aren't impaled or otherwise accosted even though they're not from the cities they're travelling through.
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Viggo
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:00 pm
SL Name: Saxon Rhiannyr
Caste: Scarlet
Role: Gorean Campus Teacher
Home Stone: Ar

Re: Visitors and Ranged Weapons

Postby Viggo » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:18 am

Leah wrote:
Viggo wrote:3. btb if you go to a city you are not apart of you are put on a pike by the scarlet and never welcomed, so to think they would let some stranger/enemy well armed to walk their city without guard is nonsense.


I'm really not sure that fits with the setting, tbh. That would mean there was 0 trade occurring between cities, and we know that's not true. In Dancer, I know that the main character is transported through several cities before she's sold, and the men who own her aren't impaled or otherwise accosted even though they're not from the cities they're travelling through.


Merchants usually would set up outside the city, they had large caravans. Like we learn in Tarnsmen of Gor,the merchant has a train of wagons with several goods and he sets up small camps outside a city. Though I am sure slavers and merchants might be allowed in cities for their caste work, well armed scarlets going around just to visit is a different thing.

I have to also remind you of outlaw of Gor and Priest-kings of Gor, when Tarl visits and talks about the sardar festivals. He says it is very rare for free to communicate or visit from other cities, so the festivals was set up as neutral grounds where everyone can go to share caste ideas and merchants selling things. This is not SL gor, because we need to visiting and moving between sims, but can't use BTB to support letting well armed men entering a city without any care taken to ensure they don't offer any threat to the citizens is my only point.
User avatar
Anarch Allegiere
Posts: 1000
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:01 am
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Re: Visitors and Ranged Weapons

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:29 am

The only example in the books where men had to disarm themselves entering a city was because they were an entire army. They also had to pay a fee to be allowed inside.

The men of Skjern seldom ventured as far south, or as much inland, as Ko-ro-ba, the Towers of the Morning. Haakon, with his tarnsmen, it seemed, came in peace. They paid for their entry into the city, claiming to need supplies for ventures, in trading. Their weapons, for they were a goodly number of warriors from a distant state, were surrendered at the great gate, to be returned to them upon their departure
Captive of Gor, pg, 295


An individual or a small group of men having to give up their weapons seems unlikely. Not only would it come across as somewhat cowardly, eg. Black Castes get permitted to come in and attempt to murder their mark with the notion that the mark might be able to defend himself anyway or might have his own guards to deal with private matters, but it would also be ineffective to tell a small group of men to disarm as they could easily visit a blacksmith or a fletcher to rearm themselves again within a city. When they are an entire army however it would be implausible for a blacksmith to have enough equipment to outfit them all.
User avatar
Anarch Allegiere
Posts: 1000
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:01 am
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Re: Visitors and Ranged Weapons

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:47 am

As for the subject of raidrules...

Not allowing bows on a sim as per combat- or raidrules is like adapting a new meter barely anyone else uses in SL Gor. It's a good way of choking your sim to death and a good way for your moderators having to be busy all day sorting angry IMs.
User avatar
Leah
Posts: 1043
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:14 pm
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara
Location: Somewhere in Eorzea
Contact:

Re: Visitors and Ranged Weapons

Postby Leah » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:41 pm

Viggo wrote:
Leah wrote:
Viggo wrote:3. btb if you go to a city you are not apart of you are put on a pike by the scarlet and never welcomed, so to think they would let some stranger/enemy well armed to walk their city without guard is nonsense.


I'm really not sure that fits with the setting, tbh. That would mean there was 0 trade occurring between cities, and we know that's not true. In Dancer, I know that the main character is transported through several cities before she's sold, and the men who own her aren't impaled or otherwise accosted even though they're not from the cities they're travelling through.


Merchants usually would set up outside the city, they had large caravans. Like we learn in Tarnsmen of Gor,the merchant has a train of wagons with several goods and he sets up small camps outside a city. Though I am sure slavers and merchants might be allowed in cities for their caste work, well armed scarlets going around just to visit is a different thing.

I have to also remind you of outlaw of Gor and Priest-kings of Gor, when Tarl visits and talks about the sardar festivals. He says it is very rare for free to communicate or visit from other cities, so the festivals was set up as neutral grounds where everyone can go to share caste ideas and merchants selling things. This is not SL gor, because we need to visiting and moving between sims, but can't use BTB to support letting well armed men entering a city without any care taken to ensure they don't offer any threat to the citizens is my only point.


It's probably really freaking rare for a Warrior, Physician, Scribe, or any of the high castes, as well as most peasants, to interact with or meet people not of their cities, yes. I don't buy that it was rare for merchants to be trading in a city, as that makes little to no sense - both from a setting point of view and from a logic point of view.
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
User avatar
Theoden
Posts: 398
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:20 am
SL Name: Theoden
Caste: Warrior

Re: Visitors and Ranged Weapons

Postby Theoden » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:14 am

Viggo wrote:Couple things to remember:

1. The torvie are the only that had quick firing bow, so to have is not gorean and ge to even have one. Scarlets had slow firing crossbows, peasants had slow firing long bow. Rest of the southern people had no ranged weapons, but everyone wants to be mr tough guy with a bow.



Actually, panther girls and tuchuks had quick firing bows as well.

A melee focus would be better for SL Gor, but it won't ever happen due to a collective action problem on behalf of sims.

It is a good compromise, then, to have melee only in no raid sections of a city, and the crossbow/bow for raid sections of a city, in order to interact effectively with other sims.


Viggo wrote:
4. In sl gor is it because there are a lot of Aimbot and ge douches that come to btb sims to meter bully players and with bow one guy can defeat an entire sim. It is not realistic and sadly their lag hacks and Aimbot can't be detected.



It's mostly lower tier GE sims and noob BTB sims that do Waw huds and such. The upper-tier GE sims have the most effective fighters and do not cheat.

So it's actually the people who aren't so good at the meter that resort to cheats, often.

The ones from GE that you've mostly interacted with, that can down an entire sim singlehandedly, do not cheat. They're just good at what they do. They do not have 'lag hacks' or aimbots.

Most of the time cheat allegations arise from people just angry that other people have that sort of power over them, and aren't based on any evidence.
Escapee
Posts: 228
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:00 pm
SL Name: elzbieta balfour
Caste: gone
Home Stone: gone
AkA: Hollie
Contact:

Re: Visitors and Ranged Weapons

Postby Escapee » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:04 am

Theoden wrote: The ones from GE that you've mostly interacted with, that can down an entire sim singlehandedly, do not cheat. They're just good at what they do. They do not have 'lag hacks' or aimbots.

Most of the time cheat allegations arise from people just angry that other people have that sort of power over them, and aren't based on any evidence.


This
it was
User avatar
Cassie
Posts: 259
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 1:09 am
SL Name: Isabeus

Re: Visitors and Ranged Weapons

Postby Cassie » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:36 pm

Its very hard to cheat in GE, I learned a lot about using the GM properly and my viewer to see meters away in distance, using bandages and properly timing when being taken down and your enemies to know who to be ready to tie up. At the end of every raid there is a 70% someone will be banned because they think they are cheating. Most of the times its lag keeping the arrows from shooting so when they REZ you are down complaining.

Some people are really good at aiming at your meter from a distance and change the stances of the weapon accordingly in a second (talk about fast thinking). Usually when someone is caught cheating the reputation of a sim will follow by one individual so it is quite unwise.
Godless heathens always waltz on the sky.

Return to “Debate It.”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest