Visitors and Ranged Weapons

PLEASE READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING!
Dyce
SL Name: Dyce Boucher

Re: Visitors and Ranged Weapons

Postby Dyce » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:25 pm

Objects freezing in mid-air isn't because of script lag. That's a physics overload where the sim temporarily shuts down its physics to dump the server RAM. It restarts again normally after a few minutes.
Architeuthis
SL Name: ~

Postby Architeuthis » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:41 pm

Dyce wrote:
Architeuthis wrote:Perhaps if they were nerfed and brought more into balance with melee weapons there would be no need for this--but then people would bitch and plus the weapons makers wouldn't make as much money so there's your answer as to why this hasn't been done.

Primus Weapons made a realistic line of bows per my request ... about 3 or so sims of mine back. They're still on the market.

Giving someone the option of voluntarily using a nerfed weapon or just nerfing the weapons to bring the system more in balance are two different things.
Dyce
SL Name: Dyce Boucher

Postby Dyce » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:35 pm

Architeuthis wrote:Giving someone the option of voluntarily using a nerfed weapon or just nerfing the weapons to bring the system more in balance are two different things.

Not necessarily. Sim owners simply have to refuse to permit non-nerfed weapons.

As far as nerfing ALL weapons, that will never happen unless you talk to the GM creators. You see, weapons are made based on a standard (not an obligation) listed by the GM makers in a notecard titled "GM Weapon Guide" that comes in the meter package. Until that guide is altered, the weapons will never be altered.
Mehrunes Unsworth
SL Name: Mehrunes Unsworth

Postby Mehrunes Unsworth » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:27 am

Before Primus had his realism Bow I had one, and Shermer had one before me, Mykael had one before her, the realism bow goes back really far and has never caught on. Only the vocal minority wants it.

I think we just have to accept that combat in SL sucks and the masses prefer its current shitty state. GM is entrenched with little hope of de-throning it. We have all these brilliant artists and scripters that have tried time and time again to fix combat, but the fixes never achieve popularity. Getting any of these projects off the ground is a political pain in the ass, you spend far mor than you can hope to earn when you account for the time, art, land rentals and promotion involved, and all you get is an ungrateful mountain of complaints.

SL combat has always been and will always be a laggy frustrating waste of time. We need a new engine that combines customizable avatars, user created scenery, and real-time combat that we aren't likely to get any time soon. Until then we are stuck with complicated rulesets trying to reconcile the ridiculousness of SL combat with the desired RP setting, like the warrior playing "TSA Agents of Gor" in every city sim.
Lacey
SL Name: Lacey arentire
Caste: The White Ghost
Role: Haunting
Home Stone: Where Dead Goreans go.
Owner: Deka
AkA: Crazy

Postby Lacey » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:57 am

Dyce wrote:

Further, the law is pretty ridiculous in my opinion as a roleplayer, because if I wanted to sneak in with a ranged weapon and kill someone with it, I could just agree to stow my bow/crossbow/whatever, go into the city, go straight to the fletcher or blacksmith, npc purchasing a bow/crossbow/whatever, strap my weapon back on my avatar and go gonzo.

Invalid! NPCs are not allowed either. :fryingpan:
I should have never cut her hair!
Architeuthis

Postby Architeuthis » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:50 pm

Dyce wrote:
Architeuthis wrote:Giving someone the option of voluntarily using a nerfed weapon or just nerfing the weapons to bring the system more in balance are two different things.

Not necessarily. Sim owners simply have to refuse to permit non-nerfed weapons.

As far as nerfing ALL weapons, that will never happen unless you talk to the GM creators. You see, weapons are made based on a standard (not an obligation) listed by the GM makers in a notecard titled "GM Weapon Guide" that comes in the meter package. Until that guide is altered, the weapons will never be altered.

There's a simpler solution I have in mind. Instead of nerfing the bow, which so far has been a very unpopular idea, power the shield up to allow it to block a high number of arrows. Then so long as you have your shield drawn and are actively blocking they can't just run circles around you and pepper you with arrows. Imagine how the sphincters would pucker at the sight of an advancing line of fighters with sword and shield drawn shaking off arrow after arrow.

Also as a side note it would be grand if they would make a change to the blocking system--pressing block shouldn't make you duckwalk attack and block, it should just raise your shield and make it so you block but cant swing. You could still run though. Just some ideas to make it more fun and balanced without touching the big GM moneymaker.
Harlequin
SL Name: Harlequin Salome
Caste: Scripter
Role: Guy Who Stares In Confusion
Home Stone: Blender, mostly.

Postby Harlequin » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:42 pm

I like what you're saying, at least in part. I just don't think we'll see a major change in the GM. There's a number of even basic functional changes that have gone untouched... and to redo things would cause weapon makers to flip out.

So I think as long as Gor uses the GM, they're not going anywhere.
There used to be a gif here. It was awesome. But it's gone now.
Architeuthis

Postby Architeuthis » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:52 pm

I've had talks with Jara in the past and basically she thinks things are fine the way they are and they won't change anything unless sim owners and weapons makers really really really really really really really really really want them to. They seem pretty complacent and under zero pressure to change anything or modernize a system based on 2005 era scripting.
Harlequin
SL Name: Harlequin Salome
Caste: Scripter
Role: Guy Who Stares In Confusion
Home Stone: Blender, mostly.

Postby Harlequin » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:19 pm

well why would weapon makers want to change? As you said, they're good reusing the same scripts.

As for sim owners, changing weapon stuff would mean risking cutting out a huge chunk of weapons people already own. So better to have machinegunbows.
There used to be a gif here. It was awesome. But it's gone now.
Theoden
SL Name: Theoden
Caste: Warrior

Postby Theoden » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:50 pm

She doesn't change it because all Gor sims use the meter. what has she to lose? The only way that got her to change anything was the rival GCM that died out. That pushed her to fix the shield run glitch.

Return to “Debate It.”