Visitors and Ranged Weapons

PLEASE READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING!
Dyce
SL Name: Dyce Boucher

Visitors and Ranged Weapons

Postby Dyce » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:01 pm

So, I've been visiting around and a lot of the populated cities/villages these days have a rule that really irks me. They do not permit visitors to make use of any kind of ranged weapon.

This would be all fine and dandy, except that I refuse to be caught in a city during a raid where arrows are getting slung around without the ability to defend myself as equally as the residents. What am I going to do as a combatant man? Duck my head into a cellar and hide like a Free Woman to avoid the onslaught of arrows? Try to run up to one with my sword while I get mowed down?

Now, I understand that the law is there for security reasons and blah blah, but some homes are missing out on good combatants exactly because of this law.

Some homes provide a decent workaround for this. They provide an inn, tavern or other roleplay area for people outside of their gates where everyone is permitted such weapons, however this is a huge minority of sims. Most who sport this law do not have such benefits for visitors.

Further, the law is pretty ridiculous in my opinion as a roleplayer, because if I wanted to sneak in with a ranged weapon and kill someone with it, I could just agree to stow my bow/crossbow/whatever, go into the city, go straight to the fletcher or blacksmith, npc purchasing a bow/crossbow/whatever, strap my weapon back on my avatar and go gonzo.

Instead, I come here to get the opinion of you lovely folks...

What do you think of this law of visitors being required to place their ranged weapons in a locker outside of a city/village's gate?
Syndel
SL Name: Syndel Daviau

Re: Visitors and Ranged Weapons

Postby Syndel » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:05 pm

I kinda believe that we started this rule in one of our sims and it became fashion like many other of our rules, Dyce (such as height limits, script counting etc etc) :D :P I cannot remember which but we had that at some point because the sim was melee only (maybe Malignance?) - with exception for Assassins as it was the tool of their trade and alike to ask a blacksmith to not have a hammer. It's a very stupid rule if the sim allows ranged combat, though.
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:09 pm

It's been that way for many years and it annoys me too. It's mostly an OOC thing because the defenders are afraid a visitor they let inside their gates (and thus past their bunker defenses against a raid) might start fighting them, so they want to cripple them and make sure they can't use the best weapon in the GM meter, a bow.
Dyce
SL Name: Dyce Boucher

Postby Dyce » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:38 pm

Well, if they wanted to bunker down without visitors being able to kill them so quickly with a bow, then they should either make their sim melee-only or enforce a realistic bow series with movement deviation, limited shots, etc.

Otherwise, there is nothing preventing someone going in and roleplaying purchasing a bow from a fence inside of the city itself or just hiding one that is disassembled inside of a backpack or whatever and putting it together inside of the city.

If I was entering with ill intentions, the law wouldn't deter me in the slightest. It just keeps people who have neutral or good intentions from being able to defend themselves.
Theoden
SL Name: Theoden
Caste: Warrior

Postby Theoden » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:46 pm

I've always hated this ranged weapon storage thing. What am I, at a museum? I have to store my valuables in the locker before I go in? What? Is this like gorean coat check at a club, and I get a number ticket to get my crossbow back?

As you said, could just purchase a weapon from a fletcher once inside. It really makes no sense RP wise.

This only came about because the GM bow is so OP. This is all done purely for OOC reasons rather than make sense from a RP standpoint.
Syndel
SL Name: Syndel Daviau

Postby Syndel » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:49 pm

I hardly think any Gorean man would comply with being told what weapons he can or cannot have.
Today I went to sim that forbids oriental weapons despite the advent of the Pani.. >.<
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Postby Tamar Luminos » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:46 pm

Ok, I'm apparently missing the point here- but...what's to stop someone from killing people inside the gates with a sword/dagger/poisoned hair pin/garotte/overly flatulent kaiila?

If they're going to be paranoid- might as well go all the way, demand visitors strip and have the tour guide slaves do a cavity search.
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
Darius of Turia
SL Name: Darius Vayandar
Caste: Red
Role: Ubar no more!
Home Stone: City of Turia

Postby Darius of Turia » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:48 pm

Im fairly sure i recall a passage in captive of gor where hakin and his men had all their weapons removed, swords and all. Id say the range weapon removal only is being generous.
"Life is as a storm, one must be prepared for the hardship and scorn. But with in this is a light, one for which we must fight. For hope is our weapon and our dreams are our shield. When fully armed we can not be felled from the field."
Harlequin
SL Name: Harlequin Salome
Caste: Scripter
Role: Guy Who Stares In Confusion
Home Stone: Blender, mostly.

Postby Harlequin » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:17 pm

I just think it shows how in Gor a bow is basically a handgun. A longbow or crossbow takes time to load, aim, and is not a fast weapon, whereas in Gor you may as well be packing a .45. It's a clear sign of just how far out of whack SL Gor's weapons and so-called "combat meter" is from the setting it's supposed to reflect. Though after this long I doubt anything will supplant the GM since it's easier to use a crappy system than it is to change.
There used to be a gif here. It was awesome. But it's gone now.
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:42 pm

Anarch Allegiere wrote:It's been that way for many years and it annoys me too. It's mostly an OOC thing because the defenders are afraid a visitor they let inside their gates (and thus past their bunker defenses against a raid) might start fighting them, so they want to cripple them and make sure they can't use the best weapon in the GM meter, a bow.

I always thought it was because bow weapons both clog up sims (causing horrendous lag) and are ridiculously OP. :-P
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499

Return to “Debate It.”