Everyone wants a house! I would build many
5%
Everyone wants a house! I would build many
5%

Total votes: 62
DarbyDollinger
SL Name: Darby Dollinger
Caste: Slaver
Home Stone: Amongst the ruins of Salernum.

Re: IC Housing

Postby DarbyDollinger » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:53 am

Personally I like sims that have somewhere outside where you can park your av if there's no one else around to RP with. When I feel like RP and there's no one around I go and sit on a bridge or a wall near a major sim throughfare and surf the net or play a game on my ipad while I wait. Usually it doesn't take too long for someone to approach.

Sims should have a few of those public places to encourage people to get out of their houses. Maybe an outdoor cafe with a great view that people walk by, or cushions on a low wall, or wherever.

The best houses I've always thought have the owner's home upstairs and their business downstairs. That way people have an excuse to come and knock on your door.
Escapee
SL Name: elzbieta balfour
Caste: gone
Home Stone: gone
AkA: Hollie

Postby Escapee » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:50 pm

I echo the sentiment of others. I've always enjoyed IC housing, as it enhanced the overall rp experience. I loved the houses in Port Kar, as they brought people to common places, but still afforded some privacy where privacy was required.

There are times when privacy is warranted, especially between companions or families. IC housing provides the scene for those stories to be written as well.
it was
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Postby Tamar Luminos » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:03 pm

The best houses I've always thought have the owner's home upstairs and their business downstairs. That way people have an excuse to come and knock on your door.

Excellent point, this. I remember when we were in Imperial Ar and had Cadence's workshop on the lower level and a small apartment just up the stairs on the second level. It worked great because we had a sign out, and word of mouth for people to seek him out for building/siege engine projects and we had plenty of people coming by even when we weren't out walking around or in a common area. It was the best setup I've personally experienced roleplaying in a Gor sim and I think it's because of that right there- the business being attached to the living quarters providing an easy "in" for people to come by and interact. I think most people are just much more comfortable knocking on the door of or entering a shop/business than they are an apartment or private residence.
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
Eternity
SL Name: Eternity Starsmith

Postby Eternity » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:16 am

I understand the appeal of having an IC home. People can benefit from a little extra personal space and time via residential housing because it can provide a means to deepen one's character and provide for more immersion in RP when the character does emerge to RP with others in public. Some reasons for preferring IC housing may include: 1) Wanting a quiet, private place to RP away from others, so that people can weave their own stories together without interference; 2) people need time to adjust their avatar appearance, e.g., shop in the marketplace, fix outfits, hair, etc., before engaging in RP; 3) while you're on the sim, soaking up the atmosphere, have an opportunity to immerse your character in the surrounding scene, in preparation for RP; and 4) private homes give a person a chance to take a break from the intensity of the RP.

Women in Gor are mostly confined to their houses, by default. If you don't provide housing on a sim, then women are forced to be outside, exposed to public RP, which may or may not work with their idea of how to play their character. One does tend to assume that if we are coming to RP on a sim, we are not going to hide behind walls all day and not engage in RP. Then there would be no point to any of it. But it's better if housing is provided and the public RP is not forced. That way, the edge of being stuck in one's house vs. emerging into public can be played out, if one wishes.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:03 pm

Kaitlin wrote:IC housing and work/living spaces are very important to me because frankly a large portion of the gorean life in the series was "inside". You will find far more storylines about family dynamics, specialized caste practices and shops than you will about infirmaries, "scriberies", warrior halls, and aimless street meetings.

The books tend to follow those moving in fairly 'high circles'. They often deal with people with important positions in cities. So, it is only natural that most 'time' is spend describing events in private surroundings.

I believe that the closest historical parallel to Gor would be the classical world. In cities there, the upper class would also spend most time in 'private' environments. But the 'common' people would spend far less time 'inside' private homes and far more time on/around public streets or semi-public spaces like enclosed courtyards, halls, barracks and such. And a lot of time in the open if they lived in villages or estates. I think the same would be true for Gor (though that seems to lack the sort of grand estates outside of cities we know from Roman times).

But those considerations aside, I think that if you think it terms of gameplay, RP, sims that do not have suitable and used 'public' meeting spots tend to fare badly. Even urban sims that depict modern western city life (in which most people only walk on the streets to hurry to their car or means of public transportation to go to work, drop the kids off or get groceries) seem to focus on the RP taking place 'in the streets' or at least in publicly accessible locations (bars, for example). An RP sim in which most of the RP takes place behind closed doors is just not going to generate a lot RP relationships that didn't exist before, is not going to draw people in, create a sense of community, ensure that people get to know one another.

Like I said, I get why people like private housing. I like it, myself. But if private housing is the focus, people RPing there, or people using it to talk in IMs or be afk or whatever, the traffic on that sim is not going to translate into a sim that 'does well' in generation RP for the people spending time there. It won't produce a long-term viable sim, I think.
TheReader
SL Name: Resident Resident
Role: Reader

Postby TheReader » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:24 pm

IC housing is very essential. Lots of rp scenes can happen there as well, it could start on the streets or the roads outside and end up there. Also a lot of slave rp is carried out within the folds of the household, specially private slaves not city ones.

Personally I had an IC house beside my work space. I used it to seal the deals and show hospitality to my clients during the contract writing part. Also I used it in many scenes with house serving slaves and it was very much enriching in rp. I never went AFK unless when I was really that in real, otherwise I was available at my work space for rp.

I have seen the misuse of private housing like people who just camped their avis/alts all day long for traffic or whatever. I have also seen some who only rp privately in their homes with partners or objects of affection but barely seen in public places.

In general we need to change our attitude towards housing.
First we need not to judge those using their housing for rp as if they're terribly selfish people as long as they exist in public rp on a regular basis.
Second we need to stop treating homes like arrow proof sanctuaries and use that space wisely not excessively.

No housing option? Simply people will move to other sims with that, or just a skybox somewhere. Problem still unsolved.
.. The Reader
If you don't understand what you read, don't embarrass yourself.
Aphris
SL Name: Aphris Myoo
Role: Yearkeeper & Trader
Home Stone: Kataii

Postby Aphris » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:26 am

In Omen Valley we give most players a wagon. But the problem we have is that once people have a personal spot they do like dogs, they start marking it with lots of personal stuff.
Thats fine in a Full sim, we have a Homestead, so it's a struggle between lag and peoples desire to have a cosy place.
She smiled. "I have grown fond of the smell of bosk," said she. Kamchak smiled. He held his hand to the girl. "Ride with me, Aphris of Turia," said Kamchak of the Tuchuks. Image
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Thu May 01, 2014 1:09 am

Aphris wrote:In Omen Valley we give most players a wagon. But the problem we have is that once people have a personal spot they do like dogs, they start marking it with lots of personal stuff.
Thats fine in a Full sim, we have a Homestead, so it's a struggle between lag and peoples desire to have a cosy place.

Have you considered using a standard set of furnishings for all the wagons and limiting prims beyond that to a very low amount like 10 prim?
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
Aphris
SL Name: Aphris Myoo
Role: Yearkeeper & Trader
Home Stone: Kataii

Postby Aphris » Sat May 03, 2014 5:41 am

Kaitlin wrote:
Aphris wrote:In Omen Valley we give most players a wagon. But the problem we have is that once people have a personal spot they do like dogs, they start marking it with lots of personal stuff.

Have you considered using a standard set of furnishings for all the wagons and limiting prims beyond that to a very low amount like 10 prim?

Yes we did that, pre furnished wagons. But still they add sex beds, spears which tells if they are online etc.
She smiled. "I have grown fond of the smell of bosk," said she. Kamchak smiled. He held his hand to the girl. "Ride with me, Aphris of Turia," said Kamchak of the Tuchuks. Image

Return to “Debate It.”