Everyone wants a house! I would build many
5%

Total votes: 62
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

IC Housing

Postby Tantus » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:37 am

'IC Housing' is something we take for granted now, it's expected the city you'll roleplay in will provide accommodation too.

Before the BTB phase, some cities restricted housing to leadership roles only(ubar and heads of caste), these were small apartments cramped into the Caste build. And then, there literally was a housing boom!

It made perfect sense, you created houses, people settled in and beyond roleplaying, they would AFK in their units and contribute towards traffic. I used to think housing was essential for a sim's success.

Years later, I visited situations where I'd see 20 avatars on a sim, and every one of them was sitting alone in their homes. I IM'd some of them and asked why they don't go out. Their responses would say, they didn't want to be the only ones standing on the streets alone. So they wait until a crowd forms before joining.

You can imagine there are people who have RL issues in interacting with others, and they recreate the same isolation for themselves in SL Gor too. But that's another matter.

Housing used to be given the least consideration, and now cities are planned with 80% housing. The Caste buildings are added as an afterthought. It correlates with the change in roleplay too, which is now heavily orientated towards relationships and family RP.

So the poll question is, as a player, how important is IC Housing to you. And if you were to run a city, how important you feel it is for others.

Could the focus of Gorean roleplay be revived, if there were only Caste and Social buildings on a sim.
Cassie
SL Name: Isabeus

Re: IC Housing

Postby Cassie » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:18 am

Personally I don't have a huge interest in housing, be it cause I am not a fan of interior decorating or because I am rping solo and having a house to be in alone makes no sense. I use my skybox to change clothes and put a photo studio so RP housing again for me comes out as a waste of space.

People with a companion and a slave kind of makes sense. I have roleplayed indoors and the eventual person that came knocking at our door was welcomed to interact but that’s it.

That's me so my personal thoughts about people sitting indoors can be related to many things. As you states social anxiety (usually) which apparently is not easily solved by using online gaming.
There are those who do find themselves more immersed in rp with a home base in the sim.

Then I would add how a lot of people stay indoors because they are not sure what to RP even just too lazy to start anything. Another consideration is directed to those who stay logged in a sim hoping to RP with only certain people.

I do prefer sims that take care of the furniture as well so I am also against allowing people to put their own prims if not temporary props. There are those who have no idea about prim count, scripts or even have any good taste.

Housing should be allowed but only to those that present good reasons. Such as a group of related characters and person who holds a plausible reason… a Magister for example would have people coming over constantly unlike a random rarius who would spend most time out in any case.
Godless heathens always waltz on the sky.
HorizonNinetails
SL Name: Horizon Ninetails
Caste: Pirate
Role: Scoundrel
Home Stone: Deck beneath my feet

Postby HorizonNinetails » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:50 pm

I dont know if its the housing thats doing it.

I feel like people use buildings as their home base.

But I can remember Avian having a house for everyone who wanted one. And Tyros always had houses. That was 08-09.

I like the idea of having a specific place to RP, and being able to set home on a sim I'm rping on.

When I had my ship builder I liked having a place at the docks where it looked like he worked. But other than that - *shrugs*. You can stick a warrior anywhere.
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Postby Tamar Luminos » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:15 pm

I've always loved having IC housing available (preferably for free and separate from the rental/OOC housing) but I think you bring up some good points in the OP.

A way to counter the "nesting syndrome" might be requiring people who are claiming IC housing must be regularly out r/p'ing with people. This would take having active and impartial Admins to keep tabs on things, though. Seems like that might be a decent compromise though- offer IC housing for people but make it a perk for the people who are active and out engaging others, and not just staying inside their house day after day.
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:35 pm

In my experience most people will want their own little home on a gorean sim, not offering it is like not using GM as combat meter, or thus shooting yourself in the foot.

Too bad that often it's so boring though, all houses the same sizes. I mean... It would be more fun to put the low ranks in the slums and have your commanders living in their own villas with plenty of guestrooms, imo.

Considering social interactions seems to be the main interest of most people in SL Gor, we should build our sims to play on these competitive drives.
HaulsRopesFaster
SL Name: Nikolai Krutschek
Caste: Sailors
Role: Quartermaster
Home Stone: Jungles of Schendi
AkA: Hauls Ropes Faster

Postby HaulsRopesFaster » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:52 pm

HorizonNinetails wrote:I like the idea of having a specific place to RP, and being able to set home on a sim I'm rping on.

When I had my ship builder I liked having a place at the docks where it looked like he worked

+1
"They call me 'Hauls Ropes Faster', because the Non-Schendi struggle to say my name"

On indefinite shore leave in Lydius at the moment.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:10 pm

I do get what the OP is saying. There are other RP venues in SL where people usually don't have a home/house (or if they do, it is not on that sim). The sim is one big public RP place, and, generally, the people are supposed to be there to RP. (Which doesn't always happen, of course. Some people love logging in to be afk for days in the middle of a public RP space). Some sims offer limited housing (in exchange for rent). In SL Gor, the fight for traffic seems to have given rise to some sort of obligation on the part of sim owners to offer big-ass homes for free, Gorean 'cities' looking more like US suburbia, a landscape dotted with little parcels than like an actual city. And people want big-ass rooms, for their 8 foot avi's, with 20 meters between them and the nearest other place where someone might RP, so they can toss out freebie bondage equipment.

Still, as a player, I do get why people might find it fun to have a 'home'. Even for RP purposes. I like having something like that, myself, even if it is tiny. It helps with immersion. And, of course, in SL Gor, you do have the owner-slave relationships. If someone wants to be a full-blown slave owner of a private kajira, they will likely want a place to 'keep her'.

But like I said, I do get where the OP is coming from. A bunch of people sitting afk in houses, perhaps sometimes engaging in their own private RP doesn't make for much of a 'city', if you ask me.
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:13 pm

If people in a Gorean sim don't sit afk in their house, anyway, they will sit afk in a home off sim...

People love housing. I remember, in Malignance, it was a common complaint. The captain's houses didnt offer any private room that people could decorate and the few IC rental ones were too big apartments with just a very few furnitures making the whole space look empty.

I wouldn't join a sim which wouldn't offer a housing. Housing is necessary for private RP. The issue is that these housing should never be a safe place where a raid and should be pickable. And of course, the housing should be adapted to people's IC ranks and
functions.

Too, we should be encouraged to go to visit other citizens in their houses, following their position and job. From my point of view, the issue is not so much about people who stay in their home, even not afk, but about those who think that these houses are private areas where they cannot enter...
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:58 pm

Tantus wrote:So the poll question is, as a player, how important is IC Housing to you. And if you were to run a city, how important you feel it is for others.

Could the focus of Gorean roleplay be revived, if there were only Caste and Social buildings on a sim.

IC housing and work/living spaces are very important to me because frankly a large portion of the gorean life in the series was "inside". You will find far more storylines about family dynamics, specialized caste practices and shops than you will about infirmaries, "scriberies", warrior halls, and aimless street meetings. I wasn't sad to see a few sim owners stop building sims of huge caste buildings for scribes, warriors and physicians. There are still plenty of sims that cater to this limited idea of gorean RP.

As a sim owner I offered housing because it makes sense that a person would start their day in their home rather than rezzing in the street or in the middle of a "work" place where there might be an ongoing scene. It is not my business how they choose to spend their time from that point but I don't hesitate on knocking on their IC house or shop door if I need their services. What better place to find a slaver than his slave house and kennel? I can have a look around to see if I would want my slave trained there. There are plenty of opportunities for RP when you stop handling the issue OOCly by assuming that the person isn't available for RP.

I do understand your point Tantus to a point but I think the problem is that other players don't treat IC housing as IC other than in raids. Raiders have no problem barging in the door or picking a lock but suddenly if there is no raid it is too much to knock or just open the door. I certainly intended to knock on your door as my neighbor to ask for a cup of sugar. Housing has existed on sims since I first came to gorean RP in 2008 so is this really the issue?

Sasi wrote:Too, we should be encouraged to go to visit other citizens in their houses, following their position and job. From my point of view, the issue is not so much about people who stay in their home, even not afk, but about those who think that these houses are private areas where they cannot enter...

:yeahthat:
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
Melchior Wardell
SL Name: Melchior Wardell
Caste: Undertaker
Home Stone: None
AkA: Melchior Wardell

Postby Melchior Wardell » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:45 am

In truth it is the most difficult thing when you build a sim.

1. You want people to roleplay in spaces that might invite others too. When they are in their private homes others would feel left out and perhaps go to another sim.

2. When there is no housing people leave the sim to seek their privacy in which means you have no players in your sim to begin with.

I never really needed a house in Crow, but I do find it useful when I play with another character. Of course the roleplay there was very limited but it provided that little privacy I once in a while needed.

In Ayr I made a choice to make several homes, mixed in sizes and style. These are for those that contribute to Ayr (financial or via RP). The houses that aren't occupied by villagers can be used by anyone, but they can't be personalized by them.

In a way I hope to have made the both choices come together in that one choice.

Return to “Debate It.”