36%
2. No
36%

Total votes: 14
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Spycam?

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:39 pm

What is your opinion on the use of a spycam to listen in on people's roleplay on the same sim?

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/BE ... 10/3638784

I've contemplated using it a few times, but mostly then so I can see wether people standing together are in a RP scene (so I might join in)... or wether they're just hanging around talking OOCly.
Architeuthis
SL Name: ~

Re: Spycam?

Postby Architeuthis » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:45 pm

I think anyone caught using such a device (whether their intentions are allegedly benign or not) should be ejected as these things are mostly used for OOC spying and harassment, not to mention benefitting ICly from knowledge gained while your avatar is nowhere near the scene is a major major cheat. I'd not even consider using such a device if I were you. You want to RP with someone, go find out what's up ICly.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:34 pm

Listeners used by sim-owners/admins are allowed, of course. And used. I'd call that good or bad depending on the use.

Players using it? Usually some sort of attempt at cheating the pew pew or getting drama-fuel, somehow.
Elle Couerblanc
SL Name: Elle

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:39 pm

Who would have the time to scroll all that extraneous chat? So silly.
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Visit me at Elle's World http://ellecouerblanc.com/
Architeuthis
SL Name: ~

Postby Architeuthis » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:51 pm

Glaucon wrote:Listeners used by sim-owners/admins are allowed, of course. And used. I'd call that good or bad depending on the use.

Players using it? Usually some sort of attempt at cheating the pew pew or getting drama-fuel, somehow.

Allowed by who? The owners themselves? If I found an owner was chat spying on me or others that would be the last time I went to that sim. I've known plenty of sim owners who didn't use this sort of thing.
Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:18 pm

Elle Couerblanc wrote:Who would have the time to scroll all that extraneous chat? So silly.

You can specifically select whose RP you listen in on. All you've to do is cam them and the script will show you all local chat of the people you're camming.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:07 pm

Architeuthis wrote:Allowed by who? The owners themselves? If I found an owner was chat spying on me or others that would be the last time I went to that sim. I've known plenty of sim owners who didn't use this sort of thing.

Sure, most don't. But some sim owners have that control-freak bug. And with RP sims, they probably have an excuse too: moderation.

Is it very nice? Not really. If you visit a friend at home, and that friend has camera's and recording devises everywhere, which are on, you may well consider that rude. But it is allowed. By whom? Linden Labs & the law.
Cassie
SL Name: Isabeus

Postby Cassie » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:06 am

I've been on a sim where such device was used so rp spread to your local chat everywhere. Honestly quite annoying and for rp not useful... doesn't make sense you know what others are saying IC.

For Moderation and as long as I am not flooded I personally would not have a problem with it as long as I am aware of the device being there.
Same with my friend having cameras installed in his house, as long as I know about it.

I am surprised this item does not seem to require an authorization from the one spied on.

Usually such devices are a real fraud. The only decent one I found shows when people are online even out of your friendlist.
Godless heathens always waltz on the sky.
Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:13 am

It's actually very easy to script, so kinda a waste to spend money on it when you know how to make it yourself. (Only requires a very few lines of codes)... And it's pretty much undetectable as well. You could put the script for it in any of your modifiable clothing and call the script "resizer" and nobody would know any better. You can even use it to see people's RP even if you aren't on the same sim.

So it's kinda something nobody can really check or prevent from happening. I've never actually really used it, besides for goofing around OOC with some scripts. Just the past few days I've been pondering on using it for something useful, because in GE Gor it's sometimes not simple to figure out that people who are standing around IC are RPing (which they sometimes are) or if they're just OOC chatting. And if you walk over to RP while they're just OOC hanging around ... it'd be akward. :P

Also, when I think about it, I don't really see what the huge deal would be. Does it matter wether your RP is private or not?

Edit: Also I noticed that the link I posted isn't the kind of spycam I had in mind. ( https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/BE ... 10/4760138 )
Cassie
SL Name: Isabeus

Postby Cassie » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:48 am

You know you can im them and just go, "Yo, wanna rp?". I know it seems silly to point out but perhaps this script is so simple that it's easier for you than have to deal with the the OOC chatter.

Point set.

Hearing out of range chat in RP it's a bit like watching the end of a movie. Meaning they could say something that would influence your rp and or even surprise you.
Honestly it's like you are claiming the use of metagaming Alts when people try to use OOC info for their own IC profit is ok.

I know if I used it I would be influence by what people say IC ineviably.
Godless heathens always waltz on the sky.

Return to “Debate It.”