35%
Other (Please Explain)
8%
Other (Please Explain)
8%

Total votes: 40

Re: Do "Online-isms" Add to RP?

Postby ... » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:56 pm

Sasi wrote:@Oor, since I worked in volunteering with young drug addicts people years ago, I am perfectly aware of the consequences that encounter as well these people and their drug dealers. And my example was still good, I will stand by my position, when the negative points take over the positive ones, even if a service is good for someone, that does not make it obligatory a good service. ]

So you're coming from a perspective heavily biased by experience with a very small portion of the drug using community and unable to be objective. Thanks for the heads up. I think we're done here.
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:36 pm

Indeed, Oor, we will continue to disagree...

Oor wrote:Not only could drug dealers be said to provide a good service, it could be further noted that drug dealers' service is SO good that people will risk prosecution to avail of it.

Because if you ponder seriously, your (ironic?) argument was anyway, quite stupid as well... These drug addicts don't risk their security, don't break the legal laws because of these good services, no, they risk because they don't see any other alternatives. The lack of alternatives (from their point of view), not the service...

Anything to say about my Kim Kardashian's example, too?

Postby ... » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:49 pm

Sasi wrote:Indeed, Oor, we will continue to disagree...

Oor wrote:Not only could drug dealers be said to provide a good service, it could be further noted that drug dealers' service is SO good that people will risk prosecution to avail of it.

Because if you ponder seriously, your (ironic?) argument was anyway, quite stupid as well... These drug addicts don't risk their security, don't break the legal laws because of these good services, no, they risk because they don't see any other alternatives. The lack of alternatives (from their point of view), not the service...

Try THINKING a little. The proportion of people terribly affected by drugs is very small compared to the people who take them. This applies to even the hardest drugs.

Your KK 'argument' isn't an argument at all; it's you being a dense headed snob. TO THE PEOPLE WHO LIKE KK, SHE PROVIDES A GOOD SERVICE. This is really a very basic exercise in non-solipsistic thinking.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:06 pm

Are we talking about your onlinisms taught in classes about Gor or have we moved on to your stance on drugs, now? The two topics seem fairly unrelated.

Postby ... » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:13 pm

Glaucon wrote:Are we talking about your onlinisms taught in classes about Gor or have we moved on to your stance on drugs, now? The two topics seem fairly unrelated.

It's related in the context of the ongoing discussion. Keep up.
Sasi

Postby Sasi » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:20 pm

Oor wrote:
Sasi wrote:Indeed, Oor, we will continue to disagree...

Try THINKING a little. The proportion of people terribly affected by drugs is very small compared to the people who take them. This applies to even the hardest drugs.

Your KK 'argument' isn't an argument at all; it's you being a dense headed snob. TO THE PEOPLE WHO LIKE KK, SHE PROVIDES A GOOD SERVICE. This is really a very basic exercise in non-solipsistic thinking.

Well, it's probably because I am a dense headed snob that your usual lecturing pompous style does not affect me...

Try thinking yourself rather. The proportion of people terribly affected by drugs is small, indeed, if you compare this proportion to the proportion of those who will just sniff a dose of cocaine from time to time, or smoke marijuana. Still, the negative effects of all these drugs, hard or not, take over the positive effects, always (damages caused on the brain are now, rather well known even with the less hard ones). And well, all depends of your standards of what make a "terrible effect"...

And I dont give a fuck if don't share my opinion but when a service provides at the end, something negative, to the individual or to the community, no, it is -never- a good service. And this, even if for the individual, it is seen like a good service. So, from my point of view, still, it is not because an individual of even, a group of individuals, perceive a service as being good for them, that it makes of this service a good one.

That is my opinion, not your. Fine, as I said, we can only agree to disagree.
Violetta Daviau
SL Name: Violetta Daviau

Postby Violetta Daviau » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:16 pm

Facebook offers a "good" service too, and some actually manage to handle that exhibitionism/voyeurism quite good and have an advantage from it. Many though run themselves into quite deep shit, and others maybe too, without perhaps even knowing yet. And that is because they often do not know what bad can come from it.

Just as those thousands of people who non-knowingly enter their RL info, bank info, and what not to some random online shop websites and wonder after that they get profiles in the web from that, their info sold for use by others. Or those who use the offers of "good service" providing websites from which they catch viruses, etc.

Unlike all that internet criminality though, the problem here is not that people learn onlinisms at the beginning. Some of the people leave, due to problems with other players or out of boredom. Some learn the "true lore" and play accordingly to it.

The issue in the end is the two main streams in roleplay: Focus on interaction quantity at the cost of quality if needed versus focus on quality at the cost of interaction quantity if need be...
If people who prefer quantity would stay amongst each other over enforcing low quality on others who prefer quality - and vice versa - a lot of hatred, grief, badmouthing and drama would be prevented throughout Gor.
Just... one cannot read from a sim description often if a sim is good to play in, with likeminded players... or not...

Postby ... » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:52 am

Sasi wrote:Still, the negative effects of all these drugs, hard or not, take over the positive effects, always (damages caused on the brain are now, rather well known even with the less hard ones). And well, all depends of your standards of what make a "terrible effect"...

Cite your sources, please.

This is the opposite of pretty much everything I've read from the people studying drug use and effects, and everything I've experienced as someone with many friends who are drug users (and some who are or have been addicted to drugs). I should also mention that I've also volunteered to help people dealing with drug addiction, and led intervention "getaways" for teenagers and young adults at high risk of addiction. Oh. And the only drug I use is alcohol. Just in case you thought I was speaking without thinking, and trying to protect my own interests.

Unless of course you think it is impossible for a bar tender or a waiter who serve alcohol to provide a good service. If you do then kudos for consistency, but we're just not going to agree. If you don't, why not? How does a bar tender differ from a drug supplier?
Sasi

Postby Sasi » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:17 pm

Google is your friend but I will not spare you too much efforts, if you need to update your knowledges and just give you two samples of that I have in stock:

http://sante.lefigaro.fr/actualite/2012 ... nt-cerveau

http://sante.lefigaro.fr/actualite/2012 ... ie-cerveau

I don't think you need an article on the effects of the heroin on the long terms, right?

Ah yes, these 2 articles are in French, but I am sure that you can use a translator or do your own searches. I felt lazy.

Is serving alcohol in a bar a good service? Depends... When a barman continues to serve a guy who is already drunk, certainly, he responds to a need and the guy is probably satisfied. That is still not a good service, the guy will maybe kill himself or kill someone else, once at the wheel.

I am done with this discussion, I will not convince you that from my opinion, you cannot judge of the quality of a service from the point of view of the individual who gets it because his satisfaction and you will not convince me. Especially when you seem willing to minor the effects of drugs (which are not only negatives for the health, but as well have a social negative effect).

Have fun.
Violetta Daviau
SL Name: Violetta Daviau

Postby Violetta Daviau » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:48 pm

Sidenote...

I see Oor's account info aside her posts only as

SL Name: ...

anymore... I did not know one can change one's username...
How does that work? (not that I want to do it)

Return to “Debate It.”