Do "Online-isms" Add to RP?

PLEASE READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING!

Do "Online-isms" Add to RP?

Poll ended at Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:35 am

Yes
3
8%
Yes
3
8%
No
14
35%
No
14
35%
Other (Please Explain)
3
8%
Other (Please Explain)
3
8%
 
Total votes: 40
...

Re: Do "Online-isms" Add to RP?

Postby ... » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:08 am

Violetta Daviau wrote:
Oor wrote:My eyes started bleeding halfway through the second question. Sorry.

Yes, I am sorry, should have made more breaks in the text, but I found out in RL that I was near too late to drive to an appointment so I hurried through a bit more...


It's more to do with my inability to concentrate and your ability to write OMGALOT being non-compatible. I'm on number four. :P
Violetta Daviau
Posts: 289
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:55 pm
SL Name: Violetta Daviau

Re: Do "Online-isms" Add to RP?

Postby Violetta Daviau » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:48 am

Oor wrote:
Violetta Daviau wrote:
Oor wrote:My eyes started bleeding halfway through the second question. Sorry.

Yes, I am sorry, should have made more breaks in the text, but I found out in RL that I was near too late to drive to an appointment so I hurried through a bit more...


It's more to do with my inability to concentrate and your ability to write OMGALOT being non-compatible. I'm on number four. :P

Also sorry - was always an issue of me, and no matter how I tried, it never became less.... rather more when I tried to reduce the length, as then I somehow had other ideas what else to write, and since the text was so short, thought I could add... and ... well...
User avatar
TreatRothschild
Posts: 969
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:11 pm
SL Name: I'm Treat Dammit!
Role: Magistrate and Love Cthulhu
Home Stone: Hesius
Location: NJ

Re: Do "Online-isms" Add to RP?

Postby TreatRothschild » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:57 am

I find that you can play generalities quite well in Gor. A warrior is a warrior. A merchant sells stuff. Yes, there are intricacies involved but, if you have a grasp of history, it's not that hard to figure Gor out.

I am completely and utterly against the egregious things like vampires, minotaurs and Xenas (femlaws). Because these break the basic premises of Gor. They are not part of the mythos. I find that I really could not care less about Chillas and 10 point serves and Scriptories(been awhile, whatever they call libraries.). If that is what floats your boat have fun.
Let me give you some advice bastard. Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.
User avatar
Sasi
Posts: 721
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:16 am
SL Name: Sasi

Re: Do "Online-isms" Add to RP?

Postby Sasi » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:05 pm

Kaitlin wrote:
DarbyDollinger wrote:As much criticism as Port Haifa get, they've lasted five years, which is a hell of a lot longer than the book-accurate, EPIC roleplay sims that are favoured on this board have managed.

Sims like that provide a service, especially to newbies to Gor and people interested in a simpler, more service-oriented type of slave roleplay. Most of the onlineisms are pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, compared to the complete inability of fashionable, book-accurate Gorean sims to last longer than six months.


Any sim that relies on a constant influx of new players is going to have longevity. It's a never ending churn. This OP and the majority of the comments have nothing to do with the type of sim they have chosen to offer. The same could be done without the online-isms.


And longevity, too, is not a label of quality. Also, yes, Port Haifa provides a service. But obviously, not a good one since onlinisms are taught, since they confuse these newbies to whom they pretend to teach the RP basics about IC and OOC separation, source of dramas.

Some shitty Gorean sims exist since years, too.

If you provide a service, make sure it is a good service, else, year after year, your service is harmful. And the newbies do not need these schools. The e-books are sold for cheap on Amazon and you do not need to read them all. There is too the Goreancave.com
Mat
Posts: 2269
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:47 am
SL Name: Mat
Caste: Warrior
Role: Defender of Freedom

Re: Do "Online-isms" Add to RP?

Postby Mat » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:04 pm

And that is where the problem is what exactly is providing a good service. To me a good service is providing an environment where people want to play and continue to play.
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him
User avatar
Sasi
Posts: 721
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:16 am
SL Name: Sasi

Re: Do "Online-isms" Add to RP?

Postby Sasi » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:43 pm

Mat wrote:And that is where the problem is what exactly is providing a good service. To me a good service is providing an environment where people want to play and continue to play.


With such argument, I will say that a drug dealer provides a good service, too... After all, years after years, he has still a lot of customers enjoying his services and the environment that crack, heroine, cocaine etc provide to them...
...

Re: Do "Online-isms" Add to RP?

Postby ... » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:23 pm

Sasi wrote:
Mat wrote:And that is where the problem is what exactly is providing a good service. To me a good service is providing an environment where people want to play and continue to play.


With such argument, I will say that a drug dealer provides a good service, too..i. After all, years after years, he has still a lot of customers enjoying his services and the environment that crack, heroine, cocaine etc provide to them...


This argument is so utterly stupid.

Not only could drug dealers be said to provide a good service, it could be further noted that drug dealers' service is SO good that people will risk prosecution to avail of it.

Sorry to break it to you, sweetheart, but 'good service' is not synonymous with 'something Sasi likes'.
User avatar
Sasi
Posts: 721
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:16 am
SL Name: Sasi

Re: Do "Online-isms" Add to RP?

Postby Sasi » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:45 pm

Oor wrote:
Sasi wrote:
Mat wrote:And that is where the problem is what exactly is providing a good service. To me a good service is providing an environment where people want to play and continue to play.


With such argument, I will say that a drug dealer provides a good service, too..i. After all, years after years, he has still a lot of customers enjoying his services and the environment that crack, heroine, cocaine etc provide to them...


This argument is so utterly stupid.

Not only could drug dealers be said to provide a good service, it could be further noted that drug dealers' service is SO good that people will risk prosecution to avail of it.

Sorry to break it to you, sweetheart, but 'good service' is not synonymous with 'something Sasi likes'.



Love the condescending tone....

Actually, I was -ironic- in my answer to Mat....... My point was to prove that something which can look like a good service because people expect and enjoy it, is not obligatory a good service, when at the end, the negative points take over the positive points.

And actually, when a slave school teaches onlinisms and creates a confusion into new RPer's minds when it comes to the IC/OOC separation - risking to put these people in drama situation in role play sims - no, it does not provide a good service.

A good service is not synonymous with "something Sasi likes", I agree, totally, and I am sure that you will agree with me too, that a good service is not synonymous with "something that people like"........ Finally, you did break nothing to me, don't feel sorry.
User avatar
Cassie
Posts: 259
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 1:09 am
SL Name: Isabeus

Re: Do "Online-isms" Add to RP?

Postby Cassie » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:16 pm

Just because a gran amount of people follow a believe does not make it right.
Promoting right is where the mass of people are is bullshit.

Open critical minds might suffer cause they can't settle but I prefer that to settling to the mass opinion.

Still the debate is against the onilineims instead of questioning why do people listen without looking into other sources.
Godless heathens always waltz on the sky.
User avatar
Glaucon
Posts: 2832
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:07 am

Re: Do "Online-isms" Add to RP?

Postby Glaucon » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:06 am

On the 'good service'-bit...

I'd say that people enjoying playing in a sim, enjoying playing in it for a long time IS an indication of that sim doing something right. So, being 'good'. At least, from the perspective of the people that enjoy playing in that sim. Mat has a point, there.

My criticism wasn't about that sim itself, however. It was about those classes they offer. Those claim to be classes on Gor and gorean RP. In general. That raises an expectation, introduces a standard that goes beyond that sim or what people might enjoy.

If some organization offered classes on English medieval history, and the stuff they taught was all about Arthur and his knights of the round table and Robin Hood and his merry men, I'd not call it a good history class, even if the participants did enjoy it.

Return to “Debate It.”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron