Traffic and you

PLEASE READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING!

Does traffic effect your decision on playing at a sim?

Yes, I look for places to play based on highest traffic.
13%
Yes, I look for places to play based on highest traffic.
13%
No, I look for a city or theme I'm interested in and try playing in that sim.
29%
No, I look for a city or theme I'm interested in and try playing in that sim.
29%
Other(please explain)
8%
Other(please explain)
8%

Total votes: 78
Darius of Turia
SL Name: Darius Vayandar
Caste: Red
Role: Ubar no more!
Home Stone: City of Turia

Traffic and you

Postby Darius of Turia » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:30 pm

With the closing of Camerius Gorge due to a lack of traffic, I was curious why traffic seems to be so paramount in people's minds.

So I ask you, good forum goers, what does the traffic numbers mean to you? Is it all that matters or do you seek something more focused on quality then numbers?
"Life is as a storm, one must be prepared for the hardship and scorn. But with in this is a light, one for which we must fight. For hope is our weapon and our dreams are our shield. When fully armed we can not be felled from the field."
Glaucon

Re: Traffic and you

Postby Glaucon » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:51 pm

I do look for places with fairly high traffic. When/if I am trying to find a new place to RP, and when/if I were to use SL search, I order 'places' by traffic, highest first.

Why? Well, pretty simple. With low traffic, it is likely I will not find RP when I am there. And if I find RP, it is likely going to be just a few individuals I will end up RP-ing with and, depending on what characters they play, I might run out of RP ideas with them. Also, low traffic might change into 'no traffic' easily. And there is no comming back from no traffic.

With medium to high traffic, there are likely to be people there up for RP. And with high traffic, a sim will be less likely to fall into law traffic, which can lead to no traffic, which is why high is probably preferable to medium.

Of course, it does depend on what sort of players play in a sim. If they are nearly all noobs, zombies, idlers, non-RP-ers, etc. then high traffic won't help much.

Now, there is a scale, ranging from 'exclusive', with people knowing what they are doing, to 'inclusive', often noob-friendly. The noob-friendly sims tend to have higher traffic. But you'll encounter more people that you might not want to encounter. Exclusive sims tend to be lower-traffic, but because a greater portion of players tend to be people you might want to play with, the numbers might work out in your favor. However, the exclusiviy itself might lead to 'elitist' RP (like over-the-top para RP, which I am not a fan off) and elitist attitudes. And the risk of traffic falling down to nearly zero is always there.
Violetta Daviau
SL Name: Violetta Daviau

Postby Violetta Daviau » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:57 pm

Lets wait for the valkyrie commercial, shall we? :D
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:59 pm

Violetta Daviau wrote:Lets wait for the valkyrie commercial, shall we? :D

Oh god... :hiding:
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:25 pm

I am sure that sim has seen more traffic than a 50 year old prostitute. GG! :thumbup:
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:52 pm

Darius of Turia wrote:With the closing of Camerius Gorge due to a lack of traffic...

Called it.
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:19 pm

Since most of the current best traffic sims are just lame (check their slave rules full of OOC discriminations, visit these sims and enjoy those one or semi one liners who have no clue about the RP etiquette), traffic for me is not a proof of quality.

After, it makes me laugh when I see people whine because another sim closed. They are the same people who didnt support the sim by their active presence.

A sim with low traffic but good rules, good administration and where the few RPers here RP decently, needs only to grow. If people give it a chance and show some patience, if they bring their friends, the sim will progressively get traffic.

And personally, I prefer to remain with no RP, rather to go RP in a noob friendly like Sais and its bunch of shot gun rpers.
JackoS
SL Name: Jacko Stawberry

Postby JackoS » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:30 pm

Sasi wrote:Since most of the current best traffic sims are just lame (check their slave rules full of OOC discriminations, visit these sims and enjoy those one or semi one liners who have no clue about the RP etiquette), traffic for me is not a proof of quality.

After, it makes me laugh when I see people whine because another sim closed. They are the same people who didnt support the sim by their active presence.

A sim with low traffic but good rules, good administration and where the few RPers here RP decently, needs only to grow. If people give it a chance and show some patience, if they bring their friends, the sim will progressively get traffic.

And personally, I prefer to remain with no RP, rather to go RP in a noob friendly like Sais and its bunch of shot gun rpers.

Yeap the same here. I usually prefer sims of the theme i am interested and with my few friends. And if any of my friends has a sim of its own, well i support it all i can.
Neka
SL Name: Littlejen Resident

Postby Neka » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:01 pm

I'm attracted to high traffic sims. If i go MIA for a while then choose to log in to sl now and again I don't feel I have missed the storyline I just slot back in
Cassie
SL Name: Isabeus

Postby Cassie » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:25 pm

Leah wrote:
Violetta Daviau wrote:Lets wait for the valkyrie commercial, shall we? :D

Oh god... :hiding:

Release the cracken.

I always wanted to say that.

I think high traffic as most of us know by now does not mean good rp. Looking at some of these high traffic areas a common things happens... they are all AFK inside their homes!

Now I did venture in some low traffic sims and I can say it's fucking hard to get rp with only 3-5 individuals online so the least medium traffic is required. Now the options are enter an empty sim and just hope someone pops in for rp... now this... this thing I have personally tried to help a sim and it sucks. Person comes... sees 1 and leaves... it's a fucking retarded method as well.
Person maybe approaches me for some rp dialog... after a while it's just us so things get awkward and we both delog.

No sorry... no solution.
Godless heathens always waltz on the sky.

Return to “Debate It.”