Light or heavy moderation

PLEASE READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING!

I am a ... and this forum needs ...

Lurker/reader, and I prefer 'light' moderation.
1
1%
Lurker/reader, and I prefer 'light' moderation.
1
1%
Lurker/reader, and I prefer 'medium' moderation.
0
No votes
Lurker/reader, and I prefer 'medium' moderation.
0
No votes
Lurker/reader, and I prefer 'heavy' moderation.
0
No votes
Lurker/reader, and I prefer 'heavy' moderation.
0
No votes
Infrequent poster, and I prefer 'light' moderation.
19
22%
Infrequent poster, and I prefer 'light' moderation.
19
22%
Infrequent poster,and I prefer 'medium' moderation.
7
8%
Infrequent poster,and I prefer 'medium' moderation.
7
8%
Infrequent poster, and I prefer 'heavy' moderation.
4
5%
Infrequent poster, and I prefer 'heavy' moderation.
4
5%
Frequent poster, and I prefer 'light' moderation.
6
7%
Frequent poster, and I prefer 'light' moderation.
6
7%
Frequent poster, and I prefer 'medium' moderation.
2
2%
Frequent poster, and I prefer 'medium' moderation.
2
2%
Frequent poster, and I prefer 'heavy' moderation.
4
5%
Frequent poster, and I prefer 'heavy' moderation.
4
5%
Other (please explain)
1
1%
Other (please explain)
1
1%
 
Total votes: 88
User avatar
Kaitlin
Posts: 3057
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:16 pm
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM
Contact:

Re: Light or heavy moderation

Postby Kaitlin » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:19 pm

Garian wrote:
Kaitlin wrote:And yet even you felt it was necessary to go off topic to clarify your own point. I think most posters here believe that should be allowed even if we could care less about the actual content. No one is going to die. People can still skip around your exchanges with Alice and answer the OP or even go back to posts before some of those exchanges and respond to other posters in just the way you did with Glaucon.


This is a unique occurrence but some clarity appears helpful, and these experiences have been somehow relevant to note for the OP, so mine must provide equal relevance. Nobody official told me I was off-topic. The OP didn't hold the same standards in his own thread, so I'm not going to listen to it. I recognize the rules and point of the thread I'm in, which means I'm within the parameters.

*Puts on hazmat suit*


Seems you know what bullshit that answer was my dear. :D
I'm certain every poster would share your reasoned view when they venture beyond the stated OP. Trying to moderate this type of stuff is like herding cats and it serves no purpose other than to annoy not only the posters involved but also the rest of the posters who could care less or have already told the those involved to get a room.

The fact is, it begins somewhere and causes the types of posts it reflects. I am deterred from many things however, which reflects my post amount. Once in participation with something off-topic, it's less about intending to be off-topic than it is to keep relevant with the flow of conversation. Again, another reason moderation helps.


Not really. Notice the complete lack of moderation in this case? No harm no foul.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
User avatar
Garian
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:30 pm
SL Name: Garian Vidor
Contact:

Re: Light or heavy moderation

Postby Garian » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:24 pm

Kaitlin wrote:I'm certain every poster would share your reasoned view when they venture beyond the stated OP. Trying to moderate this type of stuff is like herding cats and it serves no purpose other than to annoy not only the posters involved but also the rest of the posters who could care less or have already told the those involved to get a room.


Tolerate flames. Get annoyed by moderation. It's just an opinion on what you think people should do with various types of annoyances.

Not really. Notice the complete lack of moderation in this case? No harm no foul.


Then people telling others they are off-topic means nothing.
GariansGoreanGuide.tumblr.com
Image

"In the heart of every male, there is a Gorean, even if only a secret, concealed Gorean."
Rebels of Gor
User avatar
Ceri the Urt
Urtastic!
Posts: 455
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:55 am
SL Name: Ceri Kesten
Role: Being totally stinky.

Re: Light or heavy moderation

Postby Ceri the Urt » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:56 pm

Aweee Lokia! Love you too! (whoever you are) LOL

Garian, you and Alice need to just get naked and have some wet hot "Do it" just tear into each other, make animal noises and just get it all out in a good rough romp in the hay. Break all this tension up so you guys can move on.

Alice, you were banned the second time...because you were breaking rules left and right and just being a pida. I wanted to give you come cooling off time. I rarely ban anyone for very long. Especially if they are not purposefully malicious. You blow your top now and then, but then most of the board does. A good time out always seems to help.

I can't remember the rest of the questions I was going to answer, I am exhausted. My stress level is through the roof so do me a HUGE favor and play nice darnit!
Don't raise your voice, Improve your Argument.
Viorel
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:03 am
SL Name: Viorel Daviau

Re: Light or heavy moderation

Postby Viorel » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:07 am

Wowww. Just :o

I just read Alice's not-so-brief history recap regarding how the flow went & just...LOL.

You were never, ever, the "owner" of the goreanforums.com website. You were the co-admin along with me.

You want to throw your peacock feathers out while talking about you approaching Garian to add him to the team like it was some kind of sole decision? News flash: Garian would have been a team member with or without you.

Further, my wife approached me about you to involve you in the forum I was going to set up anyway because you were a moderator at Shaun's site...or did you forget our conversation after you spoke with her? Actually, I believe you completely gaffed it off with this notion like it's all yours, primarily when you pulled your stunt on deleting entire posts (which violated our "no delete for any reason" moderation policy that was intentionally made public) and in some cases a whole line because you got in a pissing match and didn't like what the other person said about you, so you removed it ALL.

And to this day you wonder why Garian and I said "enough"? Lame. Your credibility was hosed the moment you broke the one rule we said we as staff would never do. Garian and I were about consistency and fairness. You were all about you.

Shaun's forum was the springboard for goreanforums.com as well as Gor-SL.com (they opened right around the same time .com did) after he got pissed and gave up trying to roll back a past save of the database because forum content went missing. That's the truth. Did you delete it? I really don't care as I have more things to worry about, like digging lint out of my belly button. I will say that based on your previous shady activity and clearly flat out lies, I personally wouldn't be shocked.

goreanforums.com was a springboard for goreanforums.net and gorums.com I think it was? I don't fricking remember, nor do I give a shit. If you remember, I was even supportive of Gor-SL.com when they came around even though they were technically "competition".

In the end, so what? Shaun started it ALL.

So don't waddle around like queen penguin acting fucking special. You give yourself WAY more credit than what is truly due. Your attitude clearly suggests that you're more about the status of a cool-kid title and idiotic fame than it is actually giving a shit about the purpose of the project.

Honestly, this shit is STILL being brought up? Seriously, it's been YEARS.

Have a crack at masturbation. The relief is worth the mess.


Oh as far as moderation method? Who cares? People of like-mind will gather to whatever it is. People not of like mind will either tolerate it or leave. Once people get over this false sense of entitlement that only their opinion matters, the majority of the nonsense will simply go away.

The worst thing they could attempt to do is please everyone.

~Cliff
User avatar
Mynerva
Posts: 661
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:22 am
SL Name: *****

Re: Light or heavy moderation

Postby Mynerva » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:07 am

Kaitlin wrote: Shouldn't discussions be like conversations and evolve based on those participating and what they offer?



Yes!!!!! :clap:

The economy thread is the perfect example!
Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden.
Rosa Luxemburg
User avatar
Mynerva
Posts: 661
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:22 am
SL Name: *****

Re: Light or heavy moderation

Postby Mynerva » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:14 am

Ceri the Urt wrote:..... do me a HUGE favor and play nice darnit!



I am afraid this is as good as it gets :hrm: People have been nice enough lately....
Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden.
Rosa Luxemburg
User avatar
Kaitlin
Posts: 3057
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:16 pm
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM
Contact:

Re: Light or heavy moderation

Postby Kaitlin » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:41 am

Viorel wrote:Wowww. Just :o

I just read Alice's not-so-brief history recap regarding how the flow went & just...LOL.

You were never, ever, the "owner" of the goreanforums.com website. You were the co-admin along with me.


I'm pretty sure she didn't say she was. You seem to be reading something in her posts that wasn't there. The rest of your post is filled with similar misrepresentations of what she said which actually supports her position. The most telling is that you differ entirely from Garian in the reasons she was banned. Shouldn't that be a clear issue? Did one of you forget? Then you also have Ceri saying it was numerous rules. :problem:

All of it is just odd and off topic. Most amusing is that it violates the very rules that people have complained all along were silly and unclear and left a lot to the moderators interpretation and judgment. :thumbup:

This discussion makes me miss Garrgon a lot or hope that in the end there isn't a moderator.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
User avatar
Alice McConnell
Posts: 227
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:17 pm
SL Name: Alice McConnell
Caste: For(r)est Girl
Role: Former gorum wordcount champ
Home Stone: Jara stole it
Owner: Var Viverra She

Re: Light or heavy moderation

Postby Alice McConnell » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:52 am

For those who are interested (but it is off-topic, and be warned that it concerns ancient history about a long-running feud):

Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler:
The point I was making with my little 'history' wasn't about who started what. It was about light vs. heavy moderation. namely, that the people doing the posting determine the style and level of the debate. And the history of the gorums itself reflects that.

Also, that little history I wrote is accurate enough. Nothing said by Garian or Viorel 'counters' anything in that little history, even if they would write it up differently.

But hey... given the nonsense you wrote... I suppose people will understand that I can't resist offering a detailed response (some won't, but oh well):

Viorel wrote:You were never, ever, the "owner" of the goreanforums.com website. You were the co-admin along with me.


I didn't say I was the 'owner'. I announced I was re-creating the forums in world (through the CoFG-RP group, which was large at the time) and you contacted me, offering to host it. You said I would be in charge, and that you'd just be hosting it. I agreed, happily, because I knew little about forum technology, and this saved me the trouble of having to learn about it. Someone else offered too, but you seemed to offer the best deal for the new forum. Regardless of that agreement, we presented ourselves as being in charge together. Which is how I saw it, me being primarily in control of the content (including the idea that it should be lightly moderated) and you being in charge of the technical stuff. We even featured in an 'article' about the new forum, in which we presented ourselves as being in charge of it together. I am sure you have it still, if you want to check your 'evidence'.

You want to throw your peacock feathers out while talking about you approaching Garian to add him to the team like it was some kind of sole decision? News flash: Garian would have been a team member with or without you.


Garian would likely have been a team-member with or without you as well, should you not have made your offer. Because if you hadn't, I would have had to set up the forums myself, and would likely have asked him to help me out as a moderator, because I felt he was smart, supportive and reasonable. If you and him were in contact before your wife contacted me, I wasn't aware of it.

Further, my wife approached me about you to involve you [u]in the forum I was going to set up anyway because you were a moderator at Shaun's site...or did you forget our conversation after you spoke with her?


Your wife contacted me first. Not because I was the moderator at the previous forum, but because, after waiting and asking Shaun and Goodman about the status of the old forum for a time and figuring out it was not going to come back, I had made announcements in-world about starting a new one. She said (and you confirmed) that you had a webstire/forum that you weren't using for anything, and that you liked to use it for something related to Gor. There was no mention by her or by you of you wanting to re-start the old forum again, at that point. You weren't in contact with Shaun either. All you and her talked about was doing 'something' related to SLGor with it. The forum I was trying to bring back to life seemed like a good thing to become that 'something' to you and her. And it was perfect for me too. A match made in heaven. :heart:

I don't know if there is anyone here that was involved at the time and remembers it There are some 'ancients' in-world that remember the events. though. They might not have the full picture (because they didn't see you do the technical work needed to create the first forum, all they saw was me talking about it, making announcement and then there being a forum again, with me and you as admins) so they might be under the mistaken impression that it was just me starting the gorums. Now, I have no problem with you taking credit for co-founding the forums. That would be true. But over time, you seem to have changed the story to one in which you started the forums, all your idea, and attracting me and Garian as your moderators. That would be a clear lie. And that is the thing that got me all mad before, and made me counter the stuff you were saying, years ago, just a little before Garian, Ceri and you decided I needed to be banned (and I can actually understand that particular decision, in hindsight).

Actually, I believe you completely gaffed it off with this notion like it's all yours, primarily when you pulled your stunt on deleting entire posts (which violated our "no delete for any reason" moderation policy that was intentionally made public) and in some cases a whole line because you got in a pissing match and didn't like what the other person said about you, so you removed it ALL.


Untrue. What I did (and this WAS a mistake) was delete a few posts (not many) that were a complete repost of a post that was posted above, with either no addition or with a 'That' below. And I did this because I wasn't aware of the forum convention about doing this at the time. I didn't know this was a pretty standard thing to do in forums, to show endorsement of posts one agreed with. I saw a few of those posts, went 'WTF?' and 'cleaned' them up, the same as I cleaned up double-posts, figuring they were either mistakes or a kind of spamming. THAT was my BIG BAD. Was this wrong? Obviously, it was. The convention is very common now, but at the time, I had never come across it. I had moderated a forum before, but that forum didn't have this convention (yet). So, I screwed up, but because of lack of knowledge of current forum posting conventions. You or Garian MIGHT have explained the convention to me. But there was no time for that, because the first time a complaint about me doing this was raised was also the moment when things came to a head.

The other accusations are simply false. I never removed complete lines from people's posts, except when appropriate in my role as moderator (at that time, I did try to mod out the worst cases of profanity in people's posts, which I didn't do often, same as other mods did after me).

The last accusation, levied by Pelo was that I edited my own posts in debates with him after he had made his post. I did that. But that was something everyone could do (and anyone can still do) and I did that editing before anyone had replied to it. But Pelo was a fast poster and he had a bug up his ass about me, so yes, maybe it did happen once or twice that he had already replied before I was done editing my own post. But there is no 'foul' with that. It was me posting as a user, not using modding powers. And I didn't do it to make him look bad either, like he claimed. Sometimes you write something and regret writing it a moment later. I do, certainly.

And to this day you wonder why Garian and I said "enough"? Lame. Your credibility was hosed the moment you broke the one rule we said we as staff would never do. Garian and I were about consistency and fairness. You were all about you.


Oh, I did have a big ego. No denying it. I didn't like 'looking bad' (I am far from unique in that respect). But what I feel you 'ought' to have done is contact me, explain to me that my 'cleaning up' (deleting) of 'That-posts' was wrong, instead of simply accepting the mix of true and untrue accusations of Lucius and Pelo. It is what you do, when you are engaged in something together. You talk, discuss. Instead, you went for a public 'intervention', making it clear you bought into the nonsense about me deliberately changing people's posts and deleting them, etc. Which I felt was a total vote of no-confidence, humiliating and a complete stab in the back. Am I stupid to still be mad about it? Probably.

Shaun's forum was the springboard for goreanforums.com as well as Gor-SL.com (they opened right around the same time .com did) after he got pissed and gave up trying to roll back a past save of the database because forum content went missing. That's the truth.


I know how the forum of the CoFG-RP started. I was directly involved (unlike you). I don't know what Shaun did exactly to cause the contents to become lost. I do know that he and Goodman were pulling some weird shit when that forum was offline and we were waiting for it to come back up. Like trying to remove everyone from the related in-world group and reinviting them into another, to remove 'the taint' or something. My suspicion is that Mykael Goodman, who could be a really persuasive person (I know, because he persuaded me, often enough) somehow 'got' to Shaun and involved him into his SL-Gor-political games.

Point was, that forum was gone. And after waiting a while, patiently at first, less patiently later, I set about creating a new one. You have since tried to portray that as me being some kind of 'traitor' to Shaun. Very odd.

Did you delete it? I really don't care as I have more things to worry about, like digging lint out of my belly button. I will say that based on your previous shady activity and clearly flat out lies, I personally wouldn't be shocked.


What the fuck? Now I am supposed to have deleted the CoFG-RP forum? Complete bull, of course. Anyone with any knowledge of what happened at the time will know this is utter nonsense. The fact that you even want to imply it proves that you are completely deluded about past events.

goreanforums.com was a springboard for goreanforums.net and gorums.com I think it was? I don't fricking remember, nor do I give a shit.


I don't believe that the GOr SL forum was started as a kind of follow up of the first forum. It started out as a forum relating to one sim. And it was that, still, when you and me (or just 'you' as you like to think of it) started this one. It grew into something else. It became more generally popular sometime after I was gone as admin.

In the end, so what? Shaun started it ALL.


He did. But unintentionally.

Honestly, this shit is STILL being brought up? Seriously, it's been YEARS.


You felt the need to come back to this forum to 'set the record' straight, as it were. And to come up with some outrageous lies. Apparently, you care as much as I do.

Oh as far as moderation method? Who cares?


Some people here do. You don't post here any longer. So, you don't. Who cares about you not caring?

People of like-mind will gather to whatever it is. People not of like mind will either tolerate it or leave.


Now, that bit is true. So probably a good point to leave things at. Those readers that care to read this shit (and pressed the spoiler button, in spite of the warning) can make up their own minds.
Viorel
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:03 am
SL Name: Viorel Daviau

Re: Light or heavy moderation

Postby Viorel » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:44 am

Kaitlin wrote:I'm pretty sure she didn't say she was.


Hi. You must be new(ish) to the Gor forum scene.

Kaitlin wrote:You seem to be reading something in her posts that wasn't there. The rest of your post is filled with similar misrepresentations of what she said which actually supports her position.


Yep, new(ish).

Kaitlin wrote:The most telling is that you differ entirely from Garian in the reasons she was banned. Shouldn't that be a clear issue? Did one of you forget? Then you also have Ceri saying it was numerous rules. :problem:


Let me point out where you are misguided. This was her dismissal/resignation (left to how you look at it) as an admin on the .com website. This is the .net website. It has nothing to do with banning.

Kaitlin wrote:All of it is just odd and off topic. Most amusing is that it violates the very rules that people have complained all along were silly and unclear and left a lot to the moderators interpretation and judgment. :thumbup:


Indeed, though mostly (not completely) off topic, but it started two pages back and has clearly been viewed by a staff member. The irony of this being in a moderation "degree" topic is overwhelming, wouldn't you agree?
User avatar
Kaitlin
Posts: 3057
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:16 pm
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM
Contact:

Re: Light or heavy moderation

Postby Kaitlin » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:08 am

@Alice
Spoilers never work even with the idiots who complain about off topics.

Viorel wrote:[
Hi. You must be new(ish) to the Gor forum scene.


Yep, new(ish).


Not new at all but honestly does that even matter? Should we compare forum alts? :lol:

Kaitlin wrote:The most telling is that you differ entirely from Garian in the reasons she was banned. Shouldn't that be a clear issue? Did one of you forget? Then you also have Ceri saying it was numerous rules. :problem:


Let me point out where you are misguided. This was her dismissal/resignation (left to how you look at it) as an admin on the .com website. This is the .net website. It has nothing to do with banning.


Aww...I see you like to spin on a word. Banned/Dismissed/Left? Strong argument you have there. Not. Why not address my comment that your statements are inconsistent with Garian's previous posts since you appear to be here to clear the record based on those exchanges in this thread. Or are you suggesting they were arguing two different things?

Indeed, though mostly (not completely) off topic, but it started two pages back and has clearly been viewed by a staff member. The irony of this being in a moderation "degree" topic is overwhelming, wouldn't you agree?


Seriously, I'm making no judgments on this trip down memory lane you guys are having other than to point out it is exactly what most posters engage in all the time as a discussion evolves. The hope would be that the only moderation needed would be user choice in reading or moving on to the next post. None of you seem to believe that it does irreparable harm to a thread if it involves you or you wouldn't be doing it now. The hypocrisy is what I find ironic.

You mods are an odd lot. This thread explains quite a few things.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait

Return to “Debate It.”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest