Light or heavy moderation

PLEASE READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING!

I am a ... and this forum needs ...

Lurker/reader, and I prefer 'light' moderation.
1
1%
Lurker/reader, and I prefer 'light' moderation.
1
1%
Lurker/reader, and I prefer 'medium' moderation.
0
No votes
Lurker/reader, and I prefer 'medium' moderation.
0
No votes
Lurker/reader, and I prefer 'heavy' moderation.
0
No votes
Lurker/reader, and I prefer 'heavy' moderation.
0
No votes
Infrequent poster, and I prefer 'light' moderation.
19
22%
Infrequent poster, and I prefer 'light' moderation.
19
22%
Infrequent poster,and I prefer 'medium' moderation.
7
8%
Infrequent poster,and I prefer 'medium' moderation.
7
8%
Infrequent poster, and I prefer 'heavy' moderation.
4
5%
Infrequent poster, and I prefer 'heavy' moderation.
4
5%
Frequent poster, and I prefer 'light' moderation.
6
7%
Frequent poster, and I prefer 'light' moderation.
6
7%
Frequent poster, and I prefer 'medium' moderation.
2
2%
Frequent poster, and I prefer 'medium' moderation.
2
2%
Frequent poster, and I prefer 'heavy' moderation.
4
5%
Frequent poster, and I prefer 'heavy' moderation.
4
5%
Other (please explain)
1
1%
Other (please explain)
1
1%
 
Total votes: 88
User avatar
Garian
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:30 pm
SL Name: Garian Vidor
Contact:

Re: Light or heavy moderation

Postby Garian » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:27 am

Kaitlin wrote:Seriously, I'm making no judgments on this trip down memory lane you guys are having other than to point out it is exactly what most posters engage in all the time as a discussion evolves. The hope would be that the only moderation needed would be user choice in reading or moving on to the next post. None of you seem to believe that it does irreparable harm to a thread if it involves you or you wouldn't be doing it now. The hypocrisy is what I find ironic.

You mods are an odd lot. This thread explains quite a few things.


You're still basing this on an opinion that someone is in the wrong as we discussed earlier in the thread. The word hypocrisy is like a tennis ball, we can hit it back and forth all day. But the fact is we're players now, not mods, and we're playing within the parameters of the rules and moderation now provided. That doesn't mean we hold anything as some personal standard or even think all circumstances warrant such things.
GariansGoreanGuide.tumblr.com
Image

"In the heart of every male, there is a Gorean, even if only a secret, concealed Gorean."
Rebels of Gor
User avatar
Lacey
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:06 pm
SL Name: Lacey arentire
Caste: The White Ghost
Role: Haunting
Home Stone: Where Dead Goreans go.
Owner: Deka
AkA: Crazy
Location: South carolina

Re: Light or heavy moderation

Postby Lacey » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:32 am

I don't post much. I do like reading the posts though. That's right, I stalk you guys. I don't see what all the fuss is about. Except for one or two things that people find a big deal like outing alts, I find most the arguing either informative or amusing. Honestly, you guys could argue about what color dirt should be in a gorean desert and I'd find at least three different point of views. Also, I don't see where everyone keeps saying this place is drama ridden unless I'm missing something.
I should have never cut her hair!
User avatar
Alice McConnell
Posts: 227
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:17 pm
SL Name: Alice McConnell
Caste: For(r)est Girl
Role: Former gorum wordcount champ
Home Stone: Jara stole it
Owner: Var Viverra She

Re: Light or heavy moderation

Postby Alice McConnell » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:53 am

Off topic part (you have been warned:

Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler:
Ceri the Urt wrote:Garian, you and Alice need to just get naked and have some wet hot "Do it" just tear into each other, make animal noises and just get it all out in a good rough romp in the hay. Break all this tension up so you guys can move on.

Alice, you were banned the second time...because you were breaking rules left and right and just being a pida. I wanted to give you come cooling off time. I rarely ban anyone for very long. Especially if they are not purposefully malicious. You blow your top now and then, but then most of the board does. A good time out always seems to help.


To be perfectly honest, though my memory of things from 5 years ago are pretty clear, my memory of things later on are less so. There were two bans, one of which made more sense to me than the other. However, I can understand you feeling that I was being a pida, when I kept on dragging up the feud I had with Cliff and others. I tend to harbor grudges for a long time. From the perspective of you and the other forum mods, I can your decision to ban me. I was disruptive. And I had made myself deeply inpopular with some of the forum regulars at that time, so anything I said (including regular debate contributions, which constituted most of my posts) was bound to lead to flaming. The 'flags' must have been all over the place. So, whether it was me being a vindictive and frustrated bitch to others or others being the same way towards me, shutting me up at that time was probably the right thing to do. In a way, I was a walking drama-bomb at that stage. So, fair enough.

For the record, I DID correct the poster that mentioned me being banned for no good reason at all, you may have noticed. Garian responded to that claim, which is what dragged this old argument up with me. I don't think anyone can object to me giving my account (or they can, and they did, but I don't think they had good cause). Especially since my little 'history' was factual and actually relevant to the topic, and I don't think that the stuff said in that little story I wrote there has been contested by anyone on the facts it contained, really.

As for me getting naked with Garian... I am not saying he is a bad person. In fact, I know that, in the end, he is a decent guy. But 'history' can sow bad blood, and putting us in a hottub together is probably not a good idea. Even soap can be used as a weapon.


As for the forum: I think that you are doing a fine job with it. Garrgon seemed like a very good moderator to me, and it is a great shame he stopped doing that. I like the fact that it is lightly moderated. Some will disagree. I also feel that, given the forum's present users (mostly people who have been using it for a long time and that know each other well) it is a good choice for pragmatic reasons. Even IF people would be happier with heavy moderation, such moderation is a lot of work. And we all know that mistakes made in moderation (like my own) will upset people greatly. So, for a forum that is unlikely to change radically, it makes sense to keep things as is.

I think Lacey is likely to be expressing the view of a lot of those that don't post often:

Lacey wrote:I don't see what all the fuss is about. Except for one or two things that people find a big deal like outing alts, I find most the arguing either informative or amusing. Honestly, you guys could argue about what color dirt should be in a gorean desert and I'd find at least three different point of views. Also, I don't see where everyone keeps saying this place is drama ridden unless I'm missing something.
User avatar
Kaitlin
Posts: 3057
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:16 pm
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM
Contact:

Re: Light or heavy moderation

Postby Kaitlin » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:00 pm

Garian wrote:
Kaitlin wrote:Seriously, I'm making no judgments on this trip down memory lane you guys are having other than to point out it is exactly what most posters engage in all the time as a discussion evolves. The hope would be that the only moderation needed would be user choice in reading or moving on to the next post. None of you seem to believe that it does irreparable harm to a thread if it involves you or you wouldn't be doing it now. The hypocrisy is what I find ironic.

You mods are an odd lot. This thread explains quite a few things.


You're still basing this on an opinion that someone is in the wrong as we discussed earlier in the thread. The word hypocrisy is like a tennis ball, we can hit it back and forth all day. But the fact is we're players now, not mods, and we're playing within the parameters of the rules and moderation now provided. That doesn't mean we hold anything as some personal standard or even think all circumstances warrant such things.


No I don't think anyone is wrong. I don't mind off topics. I think having a rule about them is ridiculous. Moderating them is even more ridiculous and disruptive to a thread. The idea that some situations warrant it and others don't is the subjective cess pool that posters complain about.

You are right that you are now posting as "players" and by your actions you are confirming what I stated above but you aren't playing within the rules of the forum that you yourself provided earlier in the thread. Ceri and whoever Foehammer happens to be has just decided not to paint the thread with a green pen admonishing everyone to "stay on topic". I'm glad about that.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
Viorel
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:03 am
SL Name: Viorel Daviau

Re: Light or heavy moderation

Postby Viorel » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:03 pm

Alice McConnell wrote:For those who are interested (but it is off-topic, and be warned that it concerns ancient history about a long-running feud):


Why? I said what needed to be said based on your shitty prima-donna attitude here, your "accuracy" you claim as well as crap in the past. If you can't let it go, then let that be your curse, but at least be the adult and accept the consequences for your actions. You may not win friends, but at least you might win respect.

Then? Get over it, then get over yourself, in no particular order.

As far as your spoiler hidden comments, feel free to have the last word and claim victory because I won't spar the truths and reasonable dialog you're so notorious for offering, right? Continue to celebrate your greatness. Unlike you, I'm not looking for little minions to hang off my tit and I certainly have nothing to prove, especially to the likes of you.

Oh, by the way, while you're slamming Garian, note that it was he who convinced me to keep you around longer (even after the color of your name when from red to black) when I was ready to just scrap you completely.

Friend fail.

Kaitlin wrote:Not new at all but honestly does that even matter? Should we compare forum alts? :lol:


:eh:

Kaitlin wrote:Aww...I see you like to spin on a word. Banned/Dismissed/Left? Strong argument you have there.


Wait, huh? Spin?

Considering she could still access the website, at least at that point, I would say that uh...yeah, it's a pretty significant difference between dismissed/resigned and banned. It wasn't an argument, it was sharing her membership status at the time.

I mean, are you genuinely serious with that comment? Jesus, I'm actually fricking laughing at this in RL.

I do have to admit that your argument-grading scale is amusing. You can't even interpret plain english yet you can judge the ferociousness of a post offering, of all things, clarity?

Me: Hi.
You: You must be a fucking alt!
Me: Nooo? Anyway, I think the sky is blue because that's the color I see when I look at it.
You: WHAT A SHITTY ARGUMENT.

Honestly, I really don't mean to pry, but are you normally this...blonde? I'm sincerely trying not to be insulting, but it's almost as if you went to urban dictionary, figured out all the cool words to say like "spin", "weak argument" then just randomly shoot them off all tourettes-like.

STRAWMAN!

Stick to just making babies and/or giving blowjobs. If you don't have it/can't figure it out after 8000+ posts... :thumbdown:

Kaitlin wrote:Not. Why not address my comment that your statements are inconsistent with Garian's previous posts since you appear to be here to clear the record based on those exchanges in this thread. Or are you suggesting they were arguing two different things?


I think YOU are talking about something completely different, at least I hope you are. If not, I have the number to a hotline that might help you with your...issues.
User avatar
Garian
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:30 pm
SL Name: Garian Vidor
Contact:

Re: Light or heavy moderation

Postby Garian » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:13 pm

Kaitlin wrote:No I don't think anyone is wrong.


The opinion it is based on doesn't have to be yours, but anyone's. Once someone saying someone's post is off-topic, that's directly an off-topic post of their own, and considering the post they point at isn't the beginning of it, it's more harmful and hypocritical.

Moderating them is even more ridiculous and disruptive to a thread. The idea that some situations warrant it and others don't is the subjective cess pool that posters complain about.


To me, even if I'm off-topic, and not the originator of getting there, I don't mind if mods step in to get it on topic, in fact I'm glad! Even if I participated in it, the reason why I did wasn't because of my personal moderation beliefs. But we have some forums that have different rules, so that's part of what I meant by some times it's warranted. We also have complex situations arise as some mentioned where moderation is hardly black and white. Again, discernment.

but you aren't playing within the rules of the forum that you yourself provided earlier in the thread.


But isn't that your opinion? Because it's not clear what the reason you think otherwise and given my reading, I am.
GariansGoreanGuide.tumblr.com
Image

"In the heart of every male, there is a Gorean, even if only a secret, concealed Gorean."
Rebels of Gor
User avatar
Kaitlin
Posts: 3057
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:16 pm
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM
Contact:

Re: Light or heavy moderation

Postby Kaitlin » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:17 pm

Viorel wrote:Jesus, I'm actually fricking laughing at this in RL.


That makes two of us.

Like I said, mods, an odd lot. I'm amazed you managed to get blond, making babies and blow job in one post in an attempt to be insulting. How old are you? What super debate skills you have there. What's next? Caps?
:taunt:
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
User avatar
Alice McConnell
Posts: 227
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:17 pm
SL Name: Alice McConnell
Caste: For(r)est Girl
Role: Former gorum wordcount champ
Home Stone: Jara stole it
Owner: Var Viverra She

Re: Light or heavy moderation

Postby Alice McConnell » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:18 pm

@ Cliff/Viorel: Thanks for giving me the last word. But I suppose yours serves well enough.

One last 'jab': You keep saying I am fool for not letting it go. Who gives a fuck? You don't. But have you noticed the other person, that came back to the forum just so he could post about this stuff? Check his name.
Lokia Spiritor
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:14 pm
SL Name: Lokia Spiritor
AkA: Lokia Spiritor

Re: Light or heavy moderation

Postby Lokia Spiritor » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:28 pm

Alice McConnell wrote:@ Cliff/Viorel: Thanks for giving me the last word. But I suppose yours serves well enough.

One last 'jab': You keep saying I am fool for not letting it go. Who gives a fuck? You don't. But have you noticed the other person, that came back to the forum just so he could post about this stuff? Check his name.

I keep feeling like I should know you for some reason, I remember the Var Viverra She, they where a random noob group of Panthers that cried a lot when they lost fights.. but I can't seem to place you for some reason.
User avatar
Alice McConnell
Posts: 227
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:17 pm
SL Name: Alice McConnell
Caste: For(r)est Girl
Role: Former gorum wordcount champ
Home Stone: Jara stole it
Owner: Var Viverra She

Re: Light or heavy moderation

Postby Alice McConnell » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:33 pm

Lokia Spiritor wrote:I keep feeling like I should know you for some reason, I remember the Var Viverra She, they where a random noob group of Panthers that cried a lot when they lost fights.. but I can't seem to place you for some reason.


Nice try, Lokia.

Return to “Debate It.”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron