The bane of Gor
4%
The bane of Gor
4%
Really annoying
2%
Really annoying
2%
Annoying but not everyone called a A.-W. is one.
24%
Annoying but not everyone called a A.-W. is one.
24%
Not much of an issue.
6%
Not much of an issue.
6%
A bracket category used by bitchy, jealous players.
14%
A bracket category used by bitchy, jealous players.
14%
Other.
No votes
Other.
No votes

Total votes: 50
Glaucon

Attention-Whores!!!

Postby Glaucon » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:16 pm

I really dislike the term 'Attention-whore'. And I don't like it not just because it is a rude term, but because I feel it is a loose term that tends to cover behavior by players that covers a range of things, from obviously annoying ways of RP-ing to ways of RP-ing that I would rate as pretty positive.

Some examples of stuff that people call others 'attention whores' over:

- Someone playing a 'special snowflake' character. Someone with a role that would be exceptional within the theme they are playing in. I don't see how someone doing that would automatically be seeking attention. Maybe they were just being overly creative when putting together their background. Maybe they didn't understand the theme. But whatever their background is, they could as well be very reserved and even shy players as the opposite.
- People that up-stage others in RP. This, I feel, is a 'suspect' accusation. It comes from the world of theatre. If one actor or actress (or performer) manages to impress the audience and attract more attention than the 'main act' or actor/actress playing the lead role, they are said to be 'upstaging them'. it is clearly related to jealousy/envy. Now, if one RP-er feels attention drawn away from him or her because the RP of another RP-er, it might be annoying to them, but... people are free to focus their attention on anyone they like. And it might just be that the other player is offering RP that is just more interesting to them. Who knows? Maybe that other RP-er is just a better RP-er, or at least one whose RP is of more interest to other people.
- People that break into RP ongoing RP-scenes (walk up to people already engaged in RP) and come up with RP (often without waiting to see what is going on) that interupts the RP of those already engaged, often because the RP they offer would, by virtue of the content, take priority. For example, while the others are having a deep conversation, another person comes up and brings up something really shocking or pertaining to something that is naturally 'urgent' and so forth. This can be annoying, obviously. Then again, it makes for a level of realism as well. This WOULD HAPPEN, on Gor, ongoing events/conversations being interupted. And there might be valid reasons for it. Some CHARACTERS might just 'be like that', more abbrasive, not caring about what others are up to, demanding of attention. And some people might actually NEED TO BE this way because of the role they play. An Ubar should NOT be afraid to interupt the ongoing conversation between one of his warriors and a slave, however much the players are all equal, OOCly. It is needed for the players of people with certain roles to dare to disrupt things if there is going to be any kind of IC organization as well.
I also feel that this dislike of 'interuptions' can stiffle RP. Sure, it can be annoying. But often, the events that interupt the usual goings on are also a source of RP themselves. Often, these events can liven things up, create a feeling of unpredictability. For every one player that resents their RP being interupted, there are probably two players that are glad to see something 'happening' (after all, the mosten heard complaint about RP in SL Gor is boredom).
- Someone using an avi that is too handsome/pretty/sexy (I haven't seen this argument used in a while, but I have seen it used in the past). No need to explain why that objection is based on envy.
- Extrovert characters. Again... while this type of character is likely to annoy some players, others will find that these characters tend to liven things up considerably.
- Other women. Given the proportions within SL Gor these days, it makes some players of female characters, eager for attention from male characters, might find the mere presence of other female characters annoying, and why they would be likely to see the other player as an attention thief. This will be especially true for those players of female characters that aren't interested in interacting with other female characters.
- Players offering non-written 'prods' to try to engage others to RP with them. Like people shooting bows into cities from afar, without any concrete purpose. Legitimate thing to complain about, I think.
- People that just do their own thing without paying any attention to the RP of others. This, to me, would appear to be a legitimate thing to complain over.

All in all, I believe that what most people call 'attention-whore' behavior isn't all that clear. And it is clear to me that a lot of those that are tend to throw this insult out are at least partially motivated by simple envy. I see it as a suspect term.

Also, the term itself automatically implies an 'attention-shortage', an economy of 'attention' with it being in short supply and people fighting over this 'scarce good', resenting those that 'demand' more than their due, guarding their own 'fair share' jealously. The prime motivator behind that is what I would call 'attention-envy'. I believe it is a pretty unhealthy thing. And I do think it plays a more significant in SL Gor today than it did many years ago (which probably has to do with the changed male-female proportions).

So, what is the dividing line between 'bad attention-seeking' RP and good RP that also 'gets attention'? I guess it is not easy to pin-point that. Maybe one might say that 'demanding attention' outright is tricky. But people resenting those that 'COMMAND attention' is pretty petty as well. All in all, I'd say that the term 'attention-whore' should be ditched, because it can cover anything, really. Were Ghandi and Jesus Christ attention-whores as well?
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Re: Attention-Whores!!!

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:20 pm

Isn't that the usual way that people behave in argumentation nowadays?

You want to do something unique? You're an attention whore.
You're not interested in storylines involving gay characters and their sexuality? You're a homophobe.
You've got criticism against something? You're jealous.

etc.
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:27 pm

Last edited by Kaitlin on Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
Frevet

Postby Frevet » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:32 pm

Unique character does not equal special snowflakes.

Overly special snowflakes are typically played by people who ONLY play these kinds of characters. There is no creativity in creating a special snowflake character because it is, in fact, the easiest way to create a 'unique and interesting' character, which is precisely why there is such an abundance of them.

It is much more challenging and requires MUCH more creativity to pull of an interesting, creatively played normal character. It also requires more work in order to attract people. Bumping your tits to max size and adding a phat ass while claiming you are a special oh so pleasure slave? Easy peasy.
Cassie
SL Name: Isabeus

Postby Cassie » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:35 pm

Calling someone an attention whore is extremely personal to one’s point of view and experiences. If I see people playing a particular character I don’t assume they seek attention but are just bored with the usual characters being used.
Now I like the other points:

Upstaging: In theater it’s important to have a certain flare and stand out but also you need to learn to work with actors, and yes… also become invisible to the audience if say you’re playing an inanimate object. Might not make sense to play one but there is a lot new age theater and if people follow only one character the play is ruined. It’s a power you need to keep in check.
In roleplay I think it’s easy to find out who wants to wow and audience and who just wants all the attention to herself.

Now who is an attention whore?
I do remember a girl in particular getting lots of attention, doing it mostly in the group’s OOC chat. Any topic she would come in and start acting like she loved every single person in the sim while she manipulated her ways acting all cutey to enter into any rp having established an OOC contact beforehand. I sure envy the extreme expansiveness of such people but it comes to a point where you just see it… by the results in her rp that was after all… an attention whore.
Ironically I even attempted to keep those women who were ganging up against her to stay put. I guess in my naivety I did come think she wasn’t so aware of it after all.
Godless heathens always waltz on the sky.
Hawt Sommer

Postby Hawt Sommer » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:40 pm

Attention Whore

An individual that routinely solicits attention through inappropriate tactics and provocation; To seek attention through inappropriate means or to an excessive degree

I think we are bringing too much attention to the attention whore subject.

Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:42 pm

@ Hawt: You just posted what 75% of the male characters in GE look like nowadays. :P
Cassie
SL Name: Isabeus

Postby Cassie » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:44 pm

Anarch Allegiere wrote:@ Hawt: You just posted what 75% of the male characters in GE look like nowadays. :P

Sadly true :( Even in urban rp too much is just TOO much.
Godless heathens always waltz on the sky.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:05 pm

Frevet wrote:Overly special snowflakes are typically played by people who ONLY play these kinds of characters. There is no creativity in creating a special snowflake character because it is, in fact, the easiest way to create a 'unique and interesting' character, which is precisely why there is such an abundance of them.

It is much more challenging and requires MUCH more creativity to pull of an interesting, creatively played normal character. It also requires more work in order to attract people. Bumping your tits to max size and adding a phat ass while claiming you are a special oh so pleasure slave? Easy peasy.

True. But still, I don't see why someone that goes for a less creative approach as you put it needs to be an attention-whore. Maybe some will be, but the two things are not directly related. Some people create these 'special snowflake' characters because they don't know any better. Maybe they take inspiration from the backstories of Superheroes (who are almost always special snowflakes by definition). I would say that the tendency to create these characters tends to be a bit immature and not really a sign of great sensitivity when it comes to RP, but I don't think that the common equation of 'special snowflake' and 'attention-whore' makes much sense.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:08 pm

Cassie wrote:
Anarch Allegiere wrote:@ Hawt: You just posted what 75% of the male characters in GE look like nowadays. :P

Sadly true :( Even in urban rp too much is just TOO much.

That. Most players in Urban RP are likely to be suffering from loads of mouth and face infections as well, given all the metal in their faces.

People tend to be sheep that do as others do. It becomes rather silly when doing that makes them feel special and unique. :roll:

Return to “Debate It.”