Pregnancy and Kids RP - Should it be allowed on BtB sims?

PLEASE READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING!

Pregnancy and Kids RP - Should it be allowed on BtB sims?

1. Yes
12
26%
1. Yes
12
26%
2. No
11
24%
2. No
11
24%
 
Total votes: 46
User avatar
Leah
Posts: 1041
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:14 pm
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara
Location: Somewhere in Eorzea
Contact:

Re: Pregnancy and Kids RP - Should it be allowed on BtB sims

Postby Leah » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:12 pm

Hawt Sommer wrote:
Ghost wrote::popcorn: Is almost tempted to endure an immaculate conception just to piss off all the pregnancy haters.


It's not just the pregnancy, it's the marriages and family domesticated crap that has been injected into SL-Gor for years.

I'm sorry you are over 40 lady and your Biological Clock is kicking like a camptown philly on steroids OR you are really a dude REALLY in touch with your feminine side and you can't play mommy in real life; Gor was not designed to be Father knows best or Leave it to beaver.

Gor is about Masters and Slaves, Warriors and Combat, mystery, intrigue and suspense. It's an adventure damnit.

Shame on you Mommy and Daddy of Gor, you ruined it with your "Kitchen Serves" and crapping out all your stupid prim babies so that daddy can teach little Bobby how to swing his sword and collars slaves. Creepy.... stupid... weird....

Image


You could just not play with those people.

I know, I know - it's a crazy thought that people be allowed to RP what they want within the confines of the genre, and if you don't like it, you don't play with them.
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Hawt Sommer

Re: Pregnancy and Kids RP - Should it be allowed on BtB sims

Postby Hawt Sommer » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:35 pm

Leah wrote:I know, I know - it's a crazy thought that people be allowed to RP what they want within the confines of the genre, and if you don't like it, you don't play with them.


...A free woman's name, of course, tends to remain constant. A Gorean free woman does not change her name in the ceremony of the Free Companionship. She remains who she was. In such a ceremony two free individuals have elected to become companions. ...
---Explorers of Gor


The Confines of the Genre is the key phrase here.

A long time ago I did a thread on Gorean Love. I argued then that Free companionship was nothing but a loveless baby-making contract. It isn't Norman's vision to present "Ward and June Cleaver" to us. It's Norman's vision to present an alien world where the real love is between a master and his property.

I've watched and been involved in companionship roleplay over the last six years and you are correct- I don't have anything to do with *that* roleplay anymore. It's like by the book advocates and their opinion against Gorean evolved... They say "no no no" to one thing but embrace and twist things for their personal tastes within the by the book genre:
ie. Free Companionship, Bestiality or butt plugs for that matter. All of it twisted, all of it Evolved all of it a farce so someone can play what they want play tossing the books out the window.

but...

"EJECT THAT PERSON FOR WEARING COWBOY BOOTS!"

Hypocrites
User avatar
Sasi
Posts: 713
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:16 am
SL Name: Sasi

Re: Pregnancy and Kids RP - Should it be allowed on BtB sims

Postby Sasi » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:04 pm

Hawt Sommer wrote:
Leah wrote:I know, I know - it's a crazy thought that people be allowed to RP what they want within the confines of the genre, and if you don't like it, you don't play with them.


...A free woman's name, of course, tends to remain constant. A Gorean free woman does not change her name in the ceremony of the Free Companionship. She remains who she was. In such a ceremony two free individuals have elected to become companions. ...
---Explorers of Gor


The Confines of the Genre is the key phrase here.

A long time ago I did a thread on Gorean Love. I argued then that Free companionship was nothing but a loveless baby-making contract. It isn't Norman's vision to present "Ward and June Cleaver" to us. It's Norman's vision to present an alien world where the real love is between a master and his property.

I've watched and been involved in companionship roleplay over the last six years and you are correct- I don't have anything to do with *that* roleplay anymore. It's like by the book advocates and their opinion against Gorean evolved... They say "no no no" to one thing but embrace and twist things for their personal tastes within the by the book genre:
ie. Free Companionship, Bestiality or butt plugs for that matter. All of it twisted, all of it Evolved all of it a farce so someone can play what they want play tossing the books out the window.

but...

"EJECT THAT PERSON FOR WEARING COWBOY BOOTS!"

Hypocrites


People complain a lot about the lack of respect of the Gorean theme, but when a sim tries to enforce some standards for the purpose to encourage people to RP by the books, with realism, in the respect of the Gorean culture, they call the sim admins "infamous elitists"...
Hawt Sommer

Re: Pregnancy and Kids RP - Should it be allowed on BtB sims

Postby Hawt Sommer » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:17 pm

Sasi wrote:People complain a lot about the lack of respect of the Gorean theme, but when a sim tries to enforce some standards for the purpose to encourage people to RP by the books, with realism, in the respect of the Gorean culture, they call them infamous elitists...


There's enforcement, then there is the "exclusive country club and way impressed with ourselves infamous elitists".

"So impressed with ourselves and exclusive there's only 3 of us left" type of places.

And it isn't necessarily conformity to the Gorean theme for those places..... *BUTT SECKS!!!!* (cough.. sorry little turrets syndrome there) it's about freaky people who have to have control of everything, like the way you dress.. speak.. walk or crap for that matter, people that can destroy a sim about every three months with...

AN ENVIRONMENT SO STIFLING THAT IT'S LIKE BEING GASSED TO DEATH BY YOUR OWN FARTS

:D
Last edited by Hawt Sommer on Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Kaitlin
Posts: 3057
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:16 pm
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM
Contact:

Re: Pregnancy and Kids RP - Should it be allowed on BtB sims

Postby Kaitlin » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:19 pm

What a confusing thread. It really makes me wonder if people just got soundbites of the books.

Anyone who says that a FM can't love a FW obviously hasn't followed Tarl's escapades throughout the series not to mention the author explicitly saying it is possible.

The idea that kids are somehow protected from slavery is also odd. You have a 10 year old ogling boobs and another being taught how to exam naked slaves.

What books are people reading? Not the gorean series for sure.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
Hawt Sommer

Re: Pregnancy and Kids RP - Should it be allowed on BtB sims

Postby Hawt Sommer » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:26 pm

Kaitlin wrote:What a confusing thread. It really makes me wonder if people just got soundbites of the books.

Anyone who says that a FM can't love a FW obviously hasn't followed Tarl's escapades throughout the series not to mention the author explicitly saying it is possible.

The idea that kids are somehow protected from slavery is also odd. You have a 10 year old ogling boobs and another being taught how to exam naked slaves.

What books are people reading? Not the gorean series for sure.


I read six of them. Did anyone say that a FW couldn't love a FM?

Normally she ended up on her knees in a collar at some point or another though. Cept Verna .. the Xena Warrior Princess of Gor, who was into enslaving men and spanking their butts with a switch calling them naughty.. then getting bored and selling them..

Norman liked to switch it up sometimes when he got bored of collaring freewomen.
User avatar
Sasi
Posts: 713
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:16 am
SL Name: Sasi

Re: Pregnancy and Kids RP - Should it be allowed on BtB sims

Postby Sasi » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:40 pm

Hawt Sommer wrote:
Sasi wrote:People complain a lot about the lack of respect of the Gorean theme, but when a sim tries to enforce some standards for the purpose to encourage people to RP by the books, with realism, in the respect of the Gorean culture, they call them infamous elitists...


There's enforcement, then there is the "exclusive country club and way impressed with ourselves infamous elitists".

"So impressed with ourselves and exclusive there's only 3 of us left" type of places.

And it isn't necessarily conformity to the Gorean theme for those places..... *BUTT SECKS!!!!* (cough.. sorry little turrets syndrome there) it's about freaky people who have to have control of everything, like the way you dress.. speak.. walk or crap for that matter, people that can destroy a sim about every three months with...

AN ENVIRONMENT SO STIFLING THAT IT'S LIKE BEING GASSED TO DEATH BY YOUR OWN FARTS

:D


Hawt, for many people, just selecting a bit people before they join a sim, to make sure that they have a good understanding of the genre, is already acting like a freak control...

And yes, many FW end up on their knees when Tarl crosses their way, but we can figure as well, that not all Gorean men behave like Tarl, who, I think is sometimes more Gorean than the average Gorean guy born on Gor.

Else, Aphris of Turia becomes Kamchack's companion... She was his slave, he frees her, he companions her, she becomes the ubara of the Tuchucks.. And all this by love.
Hawt Sommer

Re: Pregnancy and Kids RP - Should it be allowed on BtB sims

Postby Hawt Sommer » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:04 pm

Sasi wrote:Hawt, for many people, just selecting a bit people before they join a sim, to make sure that they have a good understanding of the genre, is already acting like a freak control...

And yes, many FW end up on their knees when Tarl crosses their way, but we can figure as well, that not all Gorean men behave like Tarl, who, I think is sometimes more Gorean than the average Gorean guy born on Gor.

Else, Aphris of Turia becomes Kamchack's companion... She was his slave, he frees her, he companions her, she becomes the ubara of the Tuchucks.. And all this by love.


I'm sure there are instances of "love" in the gorean novels because it happened on Occasion.

"There is no marriage, as we know it, on Gor, but there is the institution of the Free Companionship, which is its nearest correspondent. Surprisingly enough, a woman who is bought from her parents, for tarns or gold, is regarded as a Free Companion, even though she may not have been consulted in the transaction. More commendably, a free woman may herself, of her own free will, agree to be such a companion. And it is not unusual for a master to free one of his slave girls in order that she may share the full privileges of a Free Companionship. One may have, at a given time, an indefinite number of slaves, but only one Free Companion. Such relationships are not entered into lightly, and they are normally sundered only by death. Occasionally the Gorean, like his brothers in our world, learns the meaning of love." --Outlaw of Gor, page 39


So... John here (in one of the earlier novels of course) says sometimes in these legal contract companionships, there actually might be some love. I would think more likely in the case where a man frees his slave so he can make a baby with her.

Again my point: This isn't Ward and June cleaver or a traditional marriage with romantic love... I still feel it's been twisted into Mommy/Daddy marriages of Earth because people can't play it without the sloppy sappy brady bunch shit- they don't get nor want to play the Gorean norm.
User avatar
Glaucon
Posts: 2832
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:07 am

Re: Pregnancy and Kids RP - Should it be allowed on BtB sims

Postby Glaucon » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:20 pm

@ Hawt: Let's be fair: It doesn't HAVE TO be the Brady bunch. Stuff involving children and stuff could be anything, from 'normal' to bleak, dramatic, tragic, harsh. In theory, a FW might play a role of a mother that cannot bring herself to love her children, or loves them so much she goes too far in protecting them. Plenty of interesting options. It can result in realistic and good RP that I would not have any issue with (and I doubt you would really have an issue with it). In theory, the whole children thing might also be something that only plays a background role. A good RP-er can do good stuff with it, nevermind what the prim-luv-baby-cuddly-Brady-Bunch-moms do with (even if there are perhaps a lot of those). Norman may not felt like writing about this stuff, and it is clearly not at the core of what makes the Gorean theme what it is, but there is no need to follow Norman in what he writes about, we can simply RP in his world.

A few bad apples spoils the bunch, is the saying. But we are letting them spoil the bunch, by looking at the bunch as a bunch, and not as individual apples. As far as I am concerned, the fact that 10 people play something in a way that is annoying doesn't mean that we should assume that the 11th will do the same.

The only thing I have an issue with is the idea (not endorsed publicly by anyone here) that good by the books RP by FW SHOULD involve any of this stuff.
Hawt Sommer

Re: Pregnancy and Kids RP - Should it be allowed on BtB sims

Postby Hawt Sommer » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:24 pm

Glaucon wrote:@ Hawt: Let's be fair: It doesn't HAVE TO be the Brady bunch. Stuff involving children and stuff could be anything, from 'normal' to bleak, dramatic, tragic, harsh. In theory, a FW might play a role of a mother that cannot bring herself to love her children, or loves them so much she goes too far in protecting them. Plenty of interesting options. It can result in realistic and good RP that I would not have any issue with (and I doubt you would really have an issue with it). In theory, the whole children thing might also be something that only plays a background role. A good RP-er can do good stuff with it, nevermind what the prim-luv-baby-cuddly-Brady-Bunch-moms do with (even if there are perhaps a lot of those). Norman may not felt like writing about this stuff, and it is clearly not at the core of what makes the Gorean theme what it is, but there is no need to follow Norman in what he writes about, we can simply RP in his world.

A few bad apples spoils the bunch, is the saying. But we are letting them spoil the bunch, by looking at the bunch as a bunch, and not as individual apples. As far as I am concerned, the fact that 10 people play something in a way that is annoying doesn't mean that we should assume that the 11th will do the same.

The only thing I have an issue with is the idea (not endorsed publicly by anyone here) that good by the books RP by FW SHOULD involve any of this stuff.


So, does this mean I can come wearing my cowboy boots and sunglasses?

That isn't the norm, Nor is love in a Gorean companionship.

I don't have a problem with people playing romantic earth-like love in their gorean companionships- But I'm calling them out on what they are in By the Book rp sims: Hypocrites.

Return to “Debate It.”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron