Pregnancy and Kids RP - Should it be allowed on BtB sims?

PLEASE READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING!

1. Yes
26%
1. Yes
26%
2. No
24%
2. No
24%

Total votes: 46
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:31 pm

Had a brief discussion about this a moment ago in groupchat, and my sentiment pretty much is that people shouldn't RP pregnancies or NPC children on BtB sims.

Why?

Because it's at odds with the theme and feel of the books. There wasn't a single pregnant woman mentioned in the books (just some references to breeding slaves in slave-girl iirc). Nor anything but brief sideline remarks or mentions regarding kids.

It's like going to a brothel and suddenly being surrounded by pregnant women and toddlers and cooing babies.
Last edited by Anarch Allegiere on Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isabella Bergiere
SL Name: Isabella Bergiere

Re: Pregnancy and Kids RP - Should it be allowed on BtB sims

Postby Isabella Bergiere » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:35 pm

:fryingpan:

haha its one of the few things some fw have to rp!

I dont see the issue with it, I prefer to FTB anything to do with children though.

Child avatars, no, hell no.
Consuelo
SL Name: Consuelo Albanese
Role: Kajira

Postby Consuelo » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:09 pm

I see nothing wrong with FW role-plaing their pregnancies behind closed doors. Really, the only viable reason for a companionship was for the man to get heirs... i.e. sons. Or daughters to dole out as political prizes. Do you really think he's going to let his woman parade around the city with her belly bulging out? Any random slaver can grab two for the price of one, and Joe Manly-Man loses his heir forever.

No, lock 'em up.
"Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things."
Steven Tyler
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:53 pm

I don't think children avi's should have a part in a gorean sim. It borders on the illegal (it need not be, but it is close) because the gorean theme contains overt sexuality. It can be done well, of course and I know some sims (non-gorean) had some excellent RP-ers play children roles. But it is like putting candles on a barrel of gunpowder. Not wise. It will tend to attract age-players, and it might tempt those that are not really into age-play at all. After all, we, the players are adults. And however innocent children may be, or not, we, looking at the RP with adult eyes, will tend to see the adult side of things. Frankly, I'd rather leave the writing about child characters up to novelists and such. Not to RP-ers in a environment with an unusual and overly sexually charged theme.

Sure... realistically, there would be children. But realistically, there would be lots of things we don't see. Just NPC it, if you need to.

Pregnancies? Well... I am not a great fan. Nothing against it, in principle. Though I do think that there is a tendency to dramatize pregancies, to invoke white-knight behaviour, and so forth. And again... SL is a strongly adult place. So, where you have pregnancies, you are going to see examples of people engaging in extreme torture of pregnant women and such. I have seen it. Rather icky, really.

And why should all those FW play at being pregant anyway? They aren't rabbits. If they bred as fast on Gor as they seem to do in SL gor, the whole of Gor would be as over-populated as our planet is.

Rant Start:

I think that this is another typical 'btb' misunderstanding. Sure, if you go by the books, the most important 'function' of FW is to have children. There would be many FW that were pregnant and/or mothers, in the Gor of the books.

So, one of the BtB 'ideas' is that people playing FW must there fore play that role: A companioned FW, preferably with child or already a mother. That would be the really btb thing to do.

Except... as Anarch points out: You don't see them in the books. They must be there, but Norman pretty much skips all these 'free mothers' of Gor. Why? Because it doesn't interest him. Because that is not what he wants to write about. Because, ultimately, that role doesn't isn't really relevant to the themes he writes about in his Gor books.

So, is it really the by the book thing to seek to play out these roles (and try to coerce others to do the same thing?). Depends on how you look at it. Does it really matter? I'd say it doesn't, because it is RP, and you can play any role you feel like that fits wihin the RP setting. So what if a city is full of childless FW (and many uncompanioned FW)? It doesn't change the basic RP setting or the theme. Norman didn't seem fit to fill his books with these mothers and children and we still call them by the books (because they are the books) so why should we?

Rant End
Lokia Spiritor
SL Name: Lokia Spiritor
AkA: Lokia Spiritor

Postby Lokia Spiritor » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:29 pm

I once stole a baby from Olni.
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:02 pm

I RPed a pregnancy, last year, in ORS, that was the center of a political intrigue. I have no issue in Rping a pregnancy, when it's realistically done and not in lovey dovey mode... Too, a miscarriage is not one of my taboos in RP, I dont consider my character being untouchable when pregnant, I would just require the use of dices to decide if yes or not, she lost the foetus.

And of course, my character wore robes that concealed her belly.

For me, a pregnancy should be played with a pure IC motivation, in a good storyline, it's after all, a FW's duty.

Regarding the kid, I would just NPC him, for months, he would be just that, a kid, And no one of my character is a rabbit, if pregnancy, it's ONE baby, not twins, not triplets which are ridiculously common in SL-Gor.

I dont think that a pregnant woman would have to fear more from a slaver. First, within the walls of her city, she shouldnt have to fear too much from men with whom she share the same home stone. Second, not sure that a slaver who is entitled to covet a beautiful woman would bother with a pregnant one who will be more a charge until she totally recovered after her delivery. And when slavers breed their slaves, these select carefully the progenitors...

Where I dont see the purpose to RP a pregnancy, it's when after the delivery, suddenly, the child is adult.. Non sense and it's even confusing for your usual RP partners.. Im sorry, but it's not because a woman with whom Im used to play gave birth, and then considers that she jumped 20 years forward once she found someone to play her adult kid, that my character will take 20 years in the teeth (French expression)...

Too, NPC a pregnancy is very fine too, particularly for female physicians when they want to perform caste work... A bit silly to RP two pregnancies for that...

Child avis in Gorean sims? No... Just no...

Postby ... » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:48 pm

Should it be 'allowed'?

What a dumb fucking question.

Yes. It should be allowed. :roll:
Isabella Bergiere
SL Name: Isabella Bergiere

Postby Isabella Bergiere » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:11 pm

Sasi wrote:I RPed a pregnancy, last year, in ORS, that was the center of a political intrigue. I have no issue in Rping a pregnancy, when it's realistically done and not in lovey dovey mode... Too, a miscarriage is not one of my taboos in RP, I dont consider my character being untouchable when pregnant, I would just require the use of dices to decide if yes or not, she lost the foetus.

I wanted to have Anarch's illegitimate (npc) child killed IC way, way back but was encouraged to 'not go there' by the admin of the sim I was on at the time. :rrt:

Wonder what happened to it! There must be hundreds more by now :lol:
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:24 pm

Isabella Bergiere wrote:
Sasi wrote:I RPed a pregnancy, last year, in ORS, that was the center of a political intrigue. I have no issue in Rping a pregnancy, when it's realistically done and not in lovey dovey mode... Too, a miscarriage is not one of my taboos in RP, I dont consider my character being untouchable when pregnant, I would just require the use of dices to decide if yes or not, she lost the foetus.

I wanted to have Anarch's illegitimate (npc) child killed IC way, way back but was encouraged to 'not go there' by the admin of the sim I was on at the time. :rrt:

Wonder what happened to it! There must be hundreds more by now :lol:

You mean Anarch's first son? :mrgreen:

I would figure he is an outlaw, somewhere, the poor guy, lol! Abandoned by his mother, abandoned by his father... Sad sad...
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:26 pm

What an odd question.

I see no reason why it shouldn't be allowed. Personally I enjoy pregnancy RP. I've been lucky enough that I can add it to my storylines along with other familial RP sometimes for unexpected and interesting reasons. I see it as an integral part of gorean society with plenty of references to children in the books. I've also delivered babies for others and that has been interesting RP

Anarch Allegiere wrote:Because it's at odds with the theme and feel of the books. There wasn't a single pregnant woman mentioned in the books (just some references to breeding slaves in slave-girl iirc). Nor anything but brief sideline remarks or mentions regarding kids.

A woman, veiled, passed me. She held a baby inside her cloak, nursing it.
I continued down the sloping street, toward the bazaar and market.

~Tribesmen of Gor
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait

Return to “Debate It.”