Would your character follow a female in power?

PLEASE READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING!

Would your character follow a female in power?

Yes, as much as he/she would follow a man in power.
7
14%
Yes, as much as he/she would follow a man in power.
7
14%
Yes, but with reservations (explain in your post).
5
10%
Yes, but with reservations (explain in your post).
5
10%
No, never.
7
14%
No, never.
7
14%
No, unless she was truly a good leader.
2
4%
No, unless she was truly a good leader.
2
4%
My character couldn't give less of a fuck.
4
8%
My character couldn't give less of a fuck.
4
8%
 
Total votes: 50
User avatar
Darius of Turia
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:15 am
SL Name: Darius Vayandar
Caste: Red
Role: Ubar no more!
Home Stone: City of Turia
Contact:

Re: Would your character follow a female in power?

Postby Darius of Turia » Wed May 08, 2013 5:13 am

Problem is that this is one of normans contradictions, contradicted in both Outlaw of gor with that Tatrix that was braught back into power by the men willingly and happily at the end and the men of Ar cheering on Talena in magicians. Me i just kind of ignore the quote cus there are more examples of it being mostly untrue then true, So i put yes with reservations because Darius would feel a man would be a better choice but would not complain as long as the job is being done well enough. But he would watch her like a hawk (or tarn lol).
"Life is as a storm, one must be prepared for the hardship and scorn. But with in this is a light, one for which we must fight. For hope is our weapon and our dreams are our shield. When fully armed we can not be felled from the field."
User avatar
Allison Baker
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:19 am
SL Name: allisonbaker
Caste: Poets & Musicians
Role: Free Woman
Home Stone: Verr Fjord
Location: South Africa
Contact:

Re: Would your character follow a female in power?

Postby Allison Baker » Wed May 08, 2013 5:43 am

Mynerva wrote:
Allison Baker wrote:Well my character would have no problem with a strong Ubara, someone along the lines of Joan of Arc or Catherine the Great, however as JN seems to have largely ignored that aspect of mankind's history my point is largely moot.



Why would he have to acknowledge those things that happened in mankind's history? The setting of his stories is not on earth.


We are apparently of the same stock, but IMO the way he portrays women in power, is very one dimensional and a bit unfair. Leadership should inspire others to follow, and I don't see how that is an exclusively male trait.
RL Slave, doubt you'd survive

There were still things she had to do before the sweet tide of insanity ebbed
User avatar
Kiana Kuhr
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:08 pm
SL Name: Kiana Kuhr
Role: RL, mostly

Re: Would your character follow a female in power?

Postby Kiana Kuhr » Wed May 08, 2013 5:53 am

Allison Baker wrote:
We are apparently of the same stock, but IMO the way he portrays women in power, is very one dimensional and a bit unfair. Leadership should inspire others to follow, and I don't see how that is an exclusively male trait.


On earth, I would agree with you that it is not an exclusively male trait (although I would argue that it is a masculine trait, but that is a debate that is better suited for academia, I am certain). However, you still seem to come across as thinking that somehow the fantasy world of Gor operates like earth. It doesn't in many ways. And this is one of them. It says right in the books, plain as day, that Gorean men do not see women as leaders because they do not inspire men to follow them except in certain instances (and the books list which instances). Gor -is- unfair to women. Leadership, on the planet of Gor in the fantasy novels, is an exclusively male trait because the books say it is. Now, you can argue the merits of if that is realistic or not, but it is actually one of the things that JN is pretty black and white about.
Sometimes our power resides not in what we do, but in what we don't do.
-Paulo Coelho
User avatar
Mynerva
Posts: 661
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:22 am
SL Name: *****

Re: Would your character follow a female in power?

Postby Mynerva » Wed May 08, 2013 7:12 am

Allison Baker wrote:
We are apparently of the same stock, but IMO the way he portrays women in power, is very one dimensional and a bit unfair. Leadership should inspire others to follow, and I don't see how that is an exclusively male trait.



I guess your argument is with JN. That is how he decided to write his books - maybe one dimensional, maybe unfair - but it is how he set up with world.
Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden.
Rosa Luxemburg
User avatar
Pelopidas
Posts: 1119
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:49 pm
SL Name: Dion Diavolo
Location: North Greece

Re: Would your character follow a female in power?

Postby Pelopidas » Wed May 08, 2013 8:09 am

Yeah, he's being stupid like that.
User avatar
TheReader
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:45 am
SL Name: Resident Resident
Role: Reader

Re: Would your character follow a female in power?

Postby TheReader » Wed May 08, 2013 2:51 pm

@ OP
OOC I don't have an issue, neither jealousy of a leading woman or aggressiveness towards that achievement. I also have no BTB objection on such matter, according to the novels I read there were women in charge and with real authority and not just masking behind a Ubar. (Check Outlaw of Gor to verify how Lara was a decision maker in Tharna and even after the revolution she still was) So if JN did not deny such thing then why are we drawing tighter red circles around the RP?

IC I might act depending on the Leadership, Woman or not, it doesn't matter. If my character wanted to revolt she would, if she wanted to plot she would. So IC it depends on how I would be satisfied with my leader's qualities and my relationship to her.
.. The Reader
If you don't understand what you read, don't embarrass yourself.
Hawt Sommer

Re: Would your character follow a female in power?

Postby Hawt Sommer » Wed May 08, 2013 2:57 pm

Depends on the woman, the character or the character I'm playing.
User avatar
Keiser Koba
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:28 am
SL Name: Keiser Koba
Caste: Belcher's caste
Role: Ivar's oarsman
Home Stone: The pebble in my boot

Re: Would your character follow a female in power?

Postby Keiser Koba » Tue May 14, 2013 4:24 am

Hawt Sommer wrote:Depends on the woman, the character or the character I'm playing.
Yeah, and that's why the OP asked "Would your character follow a female in power" ...
User avatar
Adoveea Rau
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:45 am
SL Name: Adoveea Rau
Caste: Builder
AkA: Lady

Re: Would your character follow a female in power?

Postby Adoveea Rau » Tue May 14, 2013 12:38 pm

Follow?
To my character- a person being female/male doesn't matter to her, either is just a figurehead of power she will manipulate behind the scenes.

More people need a evil villain set of mind.
Reputation is what others know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself.

Return to “Debate It.”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron