RP should be exactly as the books, even the characters and names
No votes
RP should be exactly as the books, even the characters and names
No votes
RP should be Close to the books, with freedom of making one's character
37%
RP should be Close to the books, with freedom of making one's character
37%
RP should be at a distance from the books not to mix up their characters to the roleplayers'
5%
RP should be at a distance from the books not to mix up their characters to the roleplayers'
5%
RP should be further off from any written character or even the opposite
No votes
RP should be further off from any written character or even the opposite
No votes
RP should only use the theme and background of the books nothing more
8%
RP should only use the theme and background of the books nothing more
8%

Total votes: 62
Hawt Sommer

Re: The thin red line for BTB RP

Postby Hawt Sommer » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:39 pm

Glaucon wrote:My point was simply this: Unless it changed totally, SL Gor at the moment is NOT full of male characters being completely selfish, crude and only interesting in enslaving and screwing every woman they meet. SL Gor probably has some...

*raises his hand*

Me!

I had to buy another belt because by last five ran out of space for notches.

But to the point: I happen to like screwing and enslaving all the women of SL-Gor, and they all take it like a champ- well except for some of those special feminist earth like RP Gorean free women. Some still this that enslavement has to be candy fed to them with roses and chocolates and big diamond ring after speaking with their fathers.

*sigh* :|
Mehrunes Unsworth
SL Name: Mehrunes Unsworth

Postby Mehrunes Unsworth » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:34 pm

I guess I did embellish my description a bit in my last post, heh. I'm with you on the douchey overcompensating types, I guess there is a spectrum running from delicate femboy and jangling leashes at every free woman that happens by, and I'd put the ideal at about 75% towards the jangly side.

Everyone seems to be hyper delicate these days and it is frustrating, I didn't think we came to gor to be a world full of nice boy beta males.
DarbyDollinger
SL Name: Darby Dollinger
Caste: Slaver
Home Stone: Amongst the ruins of Salernum.

Postby DarbyDollinger » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:06 am

I wouldn't take all the moaning and complaining on here too seriously.
JackoS
SL Name: Jacko Stawberry

Postby JackoS » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:28 am

I have to agree with Meh. Gor is a tough world, really a rough and brutal one, with very low technology in many aspects (except for medicine) so that tends to make men tough ones. So probably men would tend more towards the strong, tough, even rascal side. And especially if the woman in question is one with whom the man doesn't share homestone.

Having said that, yes, there are issues of etiquette and propriety that men and women observe, according to their position, caste, and situation in which it finds itself at the moment. A man would treat a FW in her homestone with all the deference and courtesy she is entitled to, however, find her outside her city walls alone and he wouldn't even doubt of collaring her.

However, I find a bit difficult this "thing" many, especially warriors, play of a white knight defending the weak. A warrior would defend his homestone and those inside of it with his life. But in a world where survival of the strongest is the first commandment, there is no place for the weak, whether from my homestone or others.
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:33 pm

Mehrunes Unsworth wrote:I guess I did embellish my description a bit in my last post, heh. I'm with you on the douchey overcompensating types, I guess there is a spectrum running from delicate femboy and jangling leashes at every free woman that happens by, and I'd put the ideal at about 75% towards the jangly side.

Everyone seems to be hyper delicate these days and it is frustrating, I didn't think we came to gor to be a world full of nice boy beta males.

We're all delicate flowers, man. Easily squished. Careful, I'ma call my Outlaw Protector on you! :twisted:

JackoS wrote:I have to agree with Meh. Gor is a tough world, really a rough and brutal one, with very low technology in many aspects (except for medicine) so that tends to make men tough ones. So probably men would tend more towards the strong, tough, even rascal side. And especially if the woman in question is one with whom the man doesn't share homestone.

Having said that, yes, there are issues of etiquette and propriety that men and women observe, according to their position, caste, and situation in which it finds itself at the moment. A man would treat a FW in her homestone with all the deference and courtesy she is entitled to, however, find her outside her city walls alone and he wouldn't even doubt of collaring her.

However, I find a bit difficult this "thing" many, especially warriors, play of a white knight defending the weak. A warrior would defend his homestone and those inside of it with his life. But in a world where survival of the strongest is the first commandment, there is no place for the weak, whether from my homestone or others.

I still think this is confusing the ideals of chivalry with the reality of how it worked. I guess a lot of people (not you, but the ones you are talking about) are unaware that chivalry only applied to women of your social peer group. It didn't apply to peasants or serfs, or merchants, etc. If you were a knight, it only applied to those of noble birth (like yourself) and higher.
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
JackoS

Postby JackoS » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:24 pm

Leah wrote:
Mehrunes Unsworth wrote:I guess I did embellish my description a bit in my last post, heh. I'm with you on the douchey overcompensating types, I guess there is a spectrum running from delicate femboy and jangling leashes at every free woman that happens by, and I'd put the ideal at about 75% towards the jangly side.

We're all delicate flowers, man. Easily squished. Careful, I'ma call my Outlaw Protector on you! :twisted:

JackoS wrote:I have to agree with Meh. Gor is a tough world, really a rough and brutal one, with very low technology in many aspects (except for medicine) so that tends to make men tough ones. So probably men would tend more towards the strong, tough, even rascal side. And especially if the woman in question is one with whom the man doesn't share homestone.

I still think this is confusing the ideals of chivalry with the reality of how it worked. I guess a lot of people (not you, but the ones you are talking about) are unaware that chivalry only applied to women of your social peer group. It didn't apply to peasants or serfs, or merchants, etc. If you were a knight, it only applied to those of noble birth (like yourself) and higher.

Not only in your social peer group, but with whom you shared some common nationality or something. In the case of Gor, a homestone. Richard the Lionheart, king of England and one of the commanders of the third crusade, the epitome of a chivalrous knight for many, had no problem in sacking and butchering cities just to get the money to pay the crusaders army. Of course, they were infidels, but still wasn't something very chivalry.
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:50 pm

JackoS wrote:Not only in your social peer group, but with whom you shared some common nationality or something. In the case of Gor, a homestone. Richard the Lionheart, king of England and one of the commanders of the third crusade, the epitome of a chivalrous knight for many, had no problem in sacking and butchering cities just to get the money to pay the crusaders army. Of course, they were infidels, but still wasn't something very chivalry.

Yes, although I would point out that because they were infidels, they were, by definition, not in his social peer group. Muslims weren't even considered to be people, and if you were Jewish it was almost worse.

With that said, Gor always seemed far more "clannish" to me. You are loyal to your "Clan" (your homestone) and it's very much an "us against the world" with respect to outsiders. Could someone become part of that clan (even a woman!)? Of course. But it would take time and work, or really special circumstances (a Companionship for a woman).
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
JackoS

Postby JackoS » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:41 am

Leah wrote:
JackoS wrote:Not only in your social peer group, but with whom you shared some common nationality or something. In the case of Gor, a homestone. Richard the Lionheart, king of England and one of the commanders of the third crusade, the epitome of a chivalrous knight for many, had no problem in sacking and butchering cities just to get the money to pay the crusaders army. Of course, they were infidels, but still wasn't something very chivalry.

Yes, although I would point out that because they were infidels, they were, by definition, not in his social peer group. Muslims weren't even considered to be people, and if you were Jewish it was almost worse.

With that said, Gor always seemed far more "clannish" to me. You are loyal to your "Clan" (your homestone) and it's very much an "us against the world" with respect to outsiders. Could someone become part of that clan (even a woman!)? Of course. But it would take time and work, or really special circumstances (a Companionship for a woman).

Yes you nailed it right Leah with regards to Gor. It is indeed a "either you are one of us or you are against us mentality"

Return to “Debate It.”