RP should be exactly as the books, even the characters and names
No votes
RP should be exactly as the books, even the characters and names
No votes
RP should be Close to the books, with freedom of making one's character
37%
37%
RP should be at a distance from the books not to mix up their characters to the roleplayers'
5%
RP should be at a distance from the books not to mix up their characters to the roleplayers'
5%
RP should be further off from any written character or even the opposite
No votes
RP should be further off from any written character or even the opposite
No votes
RP should only use the theme and background of the books nothing more
8%
RP should only use the theme and background of the books nothing more
8%

Total votes: 62
TheReader
SL Name: Resident Resident
Role: Reader

The thin red line for BTB RP

Postby TheReader » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:54 pm

How close should your Gorean Roleplay be to the Books?
Tell me what you think. Do you think Gorean SL RP should be identical to the books, picking the same characters and events and playing them all over? Or should you take the other extreme and only take the theme and background of the books and make your own?

When RPing BTB, does this mean you should play your role based on the ending of the novels? Or would you rather prefer to have the novels as a guide and make up your own "Tarl Adventures" based on how the novels start?

When do you find that a your creativity is being hindered by the rules? Would you break them rules or hinder your creativity even if it was mutually accepted with your RP partners?

What are the things you have read in the books that are inapplicable in SL and you have to revert to Onlinism for? Would those things be considered GE? Is there a way to have it done in a BTB fashion?
.. The Reader
If you don't understand what you read, don't embarrass yourself.
JackoS
SL Name: Jacko Stawberry

Re: The thin red line for BTB RP

Postby JackoS » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:44 pm

The problem with SL and the books is that in SL we have things that are not available in the books, like:

- teleporting, which makes traveling and raiding really easy enterprises, while in the books they are dangerous,
- knowledge of what goes on in other sims (from announcements, alting, etc). In the books communications are scarce,
- the easiness to build a character (in the books being a tarnsman depends on really many hard issues, including the tarn accepting the rider. In SL, well all you need to do is buy a tarn)

And we could go on and on with the list. Because of this, reality is that roleplay can't be exactly as the books. Though if you want to be btb you should really try to roleplay as close as possible to the books.

No need to make your character like the ones there, but seriously trying to make a character that would be plausible to find in a certain number in Gor. What I means is we would all love to be the super warrior (Rask or Marlenus), but if we all create that character, then it stops being an exception and becomes a norm which is unrealistic. So probably one should try to make a good warrior character. Or if a merchant, not the super rich powerful influential merchant of gor, but a normal one.

As to breaking the rules. In general i try to work with them. I don't break rules, and if i feel there is a rule that might be a hinder to me, and which is not book based i try to talk to a moderator about it before deciding what to do.
TheReader
SL Name: Resident Resident
Role: Reader

Postby TheReader » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:07 pm

JackoS wrote:The problem with SL and the books is that in SL we have things that are not available in the books, like:

- teleporting, which makes traveling and raiding really easy enterprises, while in the books they are dangerous,
- knowledge of what goes on in other sims (from announcements, alting, etc). In the books communications are scarce,
- the easiness to build a character (in the books being a tarnsman depends on really many hard issues, including the tarn accepting the rider. In SL, well all you need to do is buy a tarn)

I agree on that as well. I can tell that most disputes are all about adapting the Books to SL.
.. The Reader
If you don't understand what you read, don't embarrass yourself.
UmewakaKotori
SL Name: UmewakaKotori Resident
Role: Roleplayer

Postby UmewakaKotori » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:25 pm

My personal opinion is that people should be able to use their own creativity to add things to the SL take on Gor. No world is static, and culture evolves.

Some things, such as the commonly-used example of women carrying and using weapons openly, are probably not likely to happen on Gor as they directly contradict things we know are important in the Gorean world. But there's no reason why minor things can't be played with.

As an example, I was looking for quotes on black wine just now, and came across the "first slave/second slave" argument. In the books, people only used "second slave" to refer to a specific order, but it is possible that people may have began to use "first slave" as well. After all, online roleplayers also came to that conclusion.

Likewise, although Gorean culture holds up the ideal of the perfectly submissive, happy slave, it isn't impossible to imagine that some women, especially those from Earth, may not have taken to it as well.

It's probably difficult to decide what's appropriate to mess around with and what isn't, and of course, everyone will have their own opinions. However, I think my point is that Gorean roleplay shouldn't need to be frozen by every tiny detail in the books.
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:55 pm

After having read the advertisings I get from different Gorean groups, I would say that people should do an effort to play a plausible character in the respect of the Gorean culture, customs and traditions...

The jarl from the North who makes his slave, former panther girl, the mother of his children, freeing her for the time of the delivery, it's bullshit.

The people born of a warrior father, physician mother, who start to RP a physician (it's the father who gives the caste), then, becomes slaver, then, start a scribe apprenticeship, etc etc, so, the caste velcro people, it's unrealistic.

The people who change of homestone every time they change sim, same, not plausible.

The half mambas, the son of a panther chieftess, those who will go to travel from the Voltai to Turia for finding a physician who will take care of a wound, the FW with loose hair, no veils in the South, the people who confuse Gor with a fashion show because they think that some uncommon outfit will make them look creative, the female administrators of city, the females head of caste, the female magistrates, etc, etc, all that is nothing BTB.

It is not difficult to be BTB and creative without playing some snowflake character under the influence of our Earthen mentality.

For me, actually, being BTB means just that: To do not recognize the GE fighting females.

And must I point that Gor is a RP world where people have a big issue with the separation between IC and OOC and the OOC equality for all players regardless their role? How many sims continue to make OOC discriminations following you play a slave or a free? Maybe it is another debate, though.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:43 am

I am amazed that 13 people here would vote for the second option. :shock:

I mean, I do get that many here are engaged in the 'I am mo btb!'-contest and would want to vote for an option that has 'close to the books' in it, but really, it seems slightly insane to want to RP the books themselves, the characters in them, the stories in them. Slightly childish, even. "I want to be Darth Vader." "And I want to be Han Solo!" "And I'll be Han Solo's long lost son!"

For sane btb RP, all you need to do is RP in the world, follow the theme, and let the theme and the world inform (and thus, partially shape) your character. Doing that might yield characters that might actually BE in the books and stories that might have been in them. It might also lead to characters and stories that aren't in the books (since Norman uses his own world to tell the stories he wants to tell, which may not be the same stories that people RP-ing characters in his world might end up with, just as two imaginary people really living on imaginary Gor and interacting might very well end up doing stuff one isn't likely to find in the books, unless the PK's were making them follow Norman's usual scripts, somehow).

I can only attribute the fact that so many folks here seem to think that it isn't enough to just RP in the world and embrace the theme and culture to the fact that a strong force in one direction (let's say... GE players that loudly proclaim to be following the 'theme' as well, while doing nothing of the sort) tends to summon up a force in the opposite direction.
Mynerva
SL Name: *****

Postby Mynerva » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:47 am

Glaucon wrote:I am amazed that 13 people here would vote for the second option. :shock:

I mean, I do get that many here are engaged in the 'I am mo btb!'-contest and would want to vote for an option that has 'close to the books' in it, but really, it seems slightly insane to want to RP the books themselves, the characters in them, the stories in them. Slightly childish, even. "I want to be Darth Vader." "And I want to be Han Solo!" "And I'll be Han Solo's long lost son!"

Read again Glaucon! Most people chose this option....

....which says nothing about playing characters from the books or playing the books themselves. It might be worded a bit odd - and I believe (or hope) the person wanted to say "with freedom of making one's own character."
Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden.
Rosa Luxemburg
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:07 pm

Well, in that case it would be hard to distinguish the second option from the last one. Or rather... I would not really know how to compare the two. RP-ing close to the books can mean a lot of things. As I would read it, it would mean sticking to the world, theme and culture, and letting those inform your character. But since that is another option, and, it would appear, on the other end of the spectrum, I don't think she meant that. Not sure.
Cassie
SL Name: Isabeus

Postby Cassie » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:37 pm

Some rules in my opinion are always needed, without rules... we are another multi race fantasy sim. This speaking of the gorean aspect.

Being BTB is rather questionable and limited by SL and the amoutn of people we play with.
Companion to a panther might not be realistic but we also don't have the necessary amount of citizens to play every role we require.

Some bending is required, of course people will always take advantage of this bending though I am of the strict idea also that people who enter a sim planning to turn the system to their own values is already making a bad impression as rper.

Use your good sense rather than the desire to do anything you want? Enjoying rp is important of course but if you find the need to bend every rule in the book might question why even bother coming to play Gor.
Godless heathens always waltz on the sky.
Mynerva
SL Name: *****

Postby Mynerva » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:35 pm

Glaucon wrote:Well, in that case it would be hard to distinguish the second option from the last one. Or rather... I would not really know how to compare the two. RP-ing close to the books can mean a lot of things. As I would read it, it would mean sticking to the world, theme and culture, and letting those inform your character. But since that is another option, and, it would appear, on the other end of the spectrum, I don't think she meant that. Not sure.

Hm, I am not sure either - maybe she will enlighten us.
Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden.
Rosa Luxemburg

Return to “Debate It.”