Caste: of thousands
Role: with the punches
Home Stone: more weight
Owner: H'ish or J'ish
AkA: tsk tsk

Re: Comprimising your Character in SL Gor

Postby Ghost » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:53 am

@ OP isnt getting caught and collared rather compromising? :taunt:
"Life is an opportunity, benefit from it. Life is beauty, admire it. Life is a dream, realize it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a duty, complete it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a song sing it" Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu ;)
Manon Seid
SL Name: Manon Seid
Role: Mostly gone building mesh
Home Stone: Isle of Sin

Postby Manon Seid » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:09 am

Hmm not sure what all this has to do with the OP Vio?

All i was saying is that in SL Gor i can't play a panther girl without compromising my character. If you can Vio - then great.

My experience is that you can play all this dayly life perfectly in character if you like. Most of that will happen as solo rp though since the majority of panther bands i have come into contact with are not really interested in playing out tanning hides for any extended period of time - they want their Ying...to use Glaucons expression. And this is valid for both GE and BTB players as far as i can see. When i say that i dont necessarily mean roleplay with men, but interaction with strangers in some way - new inputs and new faces.

I dont blame them. You know i was intending to join your band. But we would be playing in a skybox with each other 2 - 4? persons. Building btb storylines and all - i WAS excited. But i had to realize i need more people around. I isolated myself on our panther sim for 4 years. That is enough immersion and detailed roleplay with the 3 persons who were there on a dayly basis to fill my lifetime of need for exclusive panther band roleplay in sl gor.

What i do see mostly as rp in panther bands are people who are most probably manthers hating men to the extend they will do all sorts of ugliness to them when caught, they are usually all about fighting. Or when in camp, they are going solely after flirting/sex in any form, preferably female/female. They usually call themselves lesbians and will defend fiercely that its btb that panthers will seek each others for love and sex. Who knows a few of them might actually be lesbians as they claim. It does not change the fact though that i am met in panther bands with the assumption - every freekin TIME - that my character is a sassy girl looking for hawt sex with fellow panther girls. Bah! fucking NO...just ..NO! I am DONE with trying to weasel my way out of those situations.

The self isolation - immersion in band roleplay to proove being btb is just...sick. it wont solve the problems for panther girls to find btb roleplay interactions with btb sims and other btb players. As Glaucon said too. If people are content with that roleplay only seeing a handful of people when they log into sl...then thats great. Joining a band thats more open to interaction all the shit ge will follow too and thats when i need to compromise my character. Well no more.
A Demon Sin - Thanks for the gift Judas
Violetta Daviau
SL Name: Violetta Daviau

Postby Violetta Daviau » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:29 am

Manon Seid wrote:Hmm not sure what all this has to do with the OP Vio?

All i was saying is that in SL Gor i can't play a panther girl without compromising my character. If you can Vio - then great.

Indeed it was not a reply to the OP, but to your post.

Manon Seid wrote:My experience is that you can play all this dayly life perfectly in character if you like. Most of that will happen as solo rp though since the majority of panther bands i have come into contact with are not really interested in playing out tanning hides for any extended period of time - they want their Ying...to use Glaucons expression. And this is valid for both GE and BTB players as far as i can see. When i say that i dont necessarily mean roleplay with men, but interaction with strangers in some way - new inputs and new faces.

I dont blame them. You know i was intending to join your band. But we would be playing in a skybox with each other 2 - 4? persons. Building btb storylines and all - i WAS excited. But i had to realize i need more people around. I isolated myself on our panther sim for 4 years. That is enough immersion and detailed roleplay with the 3 persons who were there on a dayly basis to fill my lifetime of need for exclusive panther band roleplay in sl gor.

I do not blame anyone either, yet it is still possible to do - and in my perception and experience also needed. That yet says not if it is possible to "roll out SL Gor globally". The state of the panther girl role is so bad just because there are so many with low level simplified wishes or also very rudamentary skills, people learning from onlinisms and other evolved ways following people instead of the books.
My band was small as well, yet still the RP rocked for the time RL allowed us to stay together, and never I said that I would want it internal exclusively. I always craved for situations in which stories like with Marlenus, Rask or the Smugglers book would occur, but then two things made it assumingly impossible: People are too fed up and carry too many partly justified prejudices about panther girls already, and other people are just lacking imagination too much themselfes to come up with something that does not only evolve around sex and pewpew. We did not even manage to get a captive out of the few that actually dared to enter our woods for a moondance. What people approached for was usually to trade at the tradepost, offering paga for our arrows or something sensefree like that, or IMing me before entering the forest, aiming to promise them to not shoot them unless they would be granted to win.

Else, regarding this kind of play, daily life play, I do not nor ever did say that one has to do it for its own reason, just to display how to gutt a tabuk 10 times in 12 days. The chores and daily life plays are to be a hook, a sideline, a reason, to develop up to thrilling adventures from them. They are a way to add realism and reason. When someone asked us for honey, we went to acquire it - and damn, needleflies can hurt you know? If we wanted to build new huts, we tried to get tools before, which we needed trade items for, which we .... for.... and so on and so forth. We had partly 5 such storylines aside each other, not hurrying with either unless outsiders were involved, always trying to go not alone, to not go the easy route but the realistic.

I do not state that panther girls should just be amongst themselfes, but if they learn a certain way, a way that is a bit more common already in cities and their RPers, it would benefit them greatly, and their lessened male attention hogging, forced city interaction, would surely be acknowledged as well.

Manon Seid wrote:What i do see mostly as rp in panther bands are people who are most probably manthers hating men to the extend they will do all sorts of ugliness to them when caught, they are usually all about fighting. Or when in camp, they are going solely after flirting/sex in any form, preferably female/female. They usually call themselves lesbians and will defend fiercely that its btb that panthers will seek each others for love and sex. Who knows a few of them might actually be lesbians as they claim. It does not change the fact though that i am met in panther bands with the assumption - every freekin TIME - that my character is a sassy girl looking for hawt sex with fellow panther girls. Bah! fucking NO...just ..NO! I am DONE with trying to weasel my way out of those situations.

There are tons of panther girl players that "do it in a way to upset roleplayers". But that is global, it is a topic NOT based on their RL gender, but on their RL desires. That is a topic not only for panther girls, but for cities too - you remember threads about GB kajira, FBK warriors and all such.
Personally I have seen manthers in bands (who revealed themselfes to me as such) being FAR more helpful and drama free where the proven female group members of the bands drowned the entire band in their selfishness caused bitchwars.
And well, from all that you obviously suffered, just as I did too. People are so fed up by those mostly GE panthers which they allowed in for long times - GE by state of play, not by femlaw definition - and repeatedly got the shit from them, that they globally banned all panthers, met them with prejudices. The battle to better the state for real BTB players of panther girls I tried to fight was lost from the beginning by the time I started it. It was just too late.

Manon Seid wrote:The self isolation - immersion in band roleplay to proove being btb is just...sick. it wont solve the problems for panther girls to find btb roleplay interactions with btb sims and other btb players. As Glaucon said too. If people are content with that roleplay only seeing a handful of people when they log into sl...then thats great. Joining a band thats more open to interaction all the shit ge will follow too and thats when i need to compromise my character. Well no more.

Sickness is a good keyword. Just like a pain killer pill you cannot go black and white, i.e. feed too little or too much. Both will make you or others sick. You need a balance, not just the one. But if you reduce yourself to just one, by free will or not, you will end suffering, losing fun, being blamed eventually.
And that is precisely what panther girls suffer from...

it is possible to make this balance interesting for yourself and others, it will just not be a quick way to solve the problem of being disaccepted for the panther girl role. It is a stony way, having to prevail against the installed prejudices and rolehhate and other reasons why panther girls are not played with (e.g. scared to be dommed RL doms)...
Manon Seid
SL Name: Manon Seid
Role: Mostly gone building mesh
Home Stone: Isle of Sin

Postby Manon Seid » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:02 am

Ops..yes you are right Vio - my apologies to the manthers out there that actually Do make great panther girl characters. That generalization i made was not fair since i mostly have no clue if my assumption was right that those highly lesbian sex focused panther players are actually men rl.

I gave up on panther girl roleplay in sl gor..i guess i am a tad bit bitter and disappointed with my fellow roleplayers still.
A Demon Sin - Thanks for the gift Judas
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:26 pm

No need to discuss the antics of bored pew-pew panther girls going around sims only interested in fighting, getting captured or capturing, be they panther or manther. All here probably agree on the fact that such RP is rather... limit, and doesn't make all that much sense in light of the books.

Anyway, Violetta. I fear you misunderstood the point of my post too. Hard. ;) My Ying-Yang point (thanks for getting it, Manon) isn't about people needing to follow the book-characters word for word. It is about some roles and types of RP being a lot less suited to private RP among a close group of regulars in a sim without interaction with others. Again, I'll use the pirate example. Sure, you could have pirates hang out in their local tavern, with their fellow pirate crew members. Could be fun RP. But what makes the role of pirate the role of PIRATE isn't in them lazying about in a tavern among themselves. It is in how they interact with others. I feel something similar is true for the role of panther girl, and most 'outlawish' roles in Gor.
Violetta Daviau
SL Name: Violetta Daviau

Postby Violetta Daviau » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:10 am

Manon Seid wrote:Ops..yes you are right Vio - my apologies to the manthers out there that actually Do make great panther girl characters. That generalization i made was not fair since i mostly have no clue if my assumption was right that those highly lesbian sex focused panther players are actually men rl.

I gave up on panther girl roleplay in sl gor..i guess i am a tad bit bitter and disappointed with my fellow roleplayers still.

You are not alone in that. I don't play panther girl either anymore, and each time I get a flashback, dressing up and go to see a random band to see if it is suited, I am usually convinced within the hour that it is a no go...

Glaucon wrote:...It is about some roles and types of RP being a lot less suited to private RP among a close group of regulars in a sim without interaction with others. Again, I'll use the pirate example. Sure, you could have pirates hang out in their local tavern, with their fellow pirate crew members. Could be fun RP. But what makes the role of pirate the role of PIRATE isn't in them lazying about in a tavern among themselves. It is in how they interact with others. I feel something similar is true for the role of panther girl, and most 'outlawish' roles in Gor.

I do get your point, Glaucon, and still think that you are, though explaining SL Gor's in my eyes sad reality, also sanctioning it by that in a way. In a way of "leave the unknowing to the status quo".

What you basically say is that all roles - be the roles defined by role name or e.g. caste based skill set - that are violent conflict affine, do need this conflict as main base for existance. That is a reduction of those roles back to the pewpew aspect, if speaking it into extreme. And that is the very point I object.

What you write counts basically for caste warriors too, means that slavers might have to constantly hunt slaves aside a bunch of hired mercenaries, that sleen trainers need to constantly set their sleens on runaway slaves.

And I did not even claim that those roles should totally abdicate from their conflict aspect, but I state that most players, or group of players, reduce their daily play in my opinion too much to this aspect.
In the example of panther girls it is those who either raid, sneak into cities to steal or get laid, live risks and conflicts, with their only real ingroup roleplay being the chat at the romantic campfire with blackwine or paga while snuggling their slaves or "sisters". That last itself is a not very representative display of their role neither anyways, but most part of their daily playtime they are either taunting people, entering risks or such, usually by actively going to men, far more than 50% of their time (too much yang so in your terms).

What city players do, with their various castes, castes that basically represent skills but are not needed/enforced to represent such, is to interact with each other, using the RP setup of their "camp" and imagine a lot around it, invent things that would be there, NPC'ing others and so on.
A conflict affine role could do the same between their conflict incidents - and in my claim needs to do that much more, to be more plausible, authentic, and eventually also accepted by the community. And even if going to a city, a pirate does not always have to plunder, a panther girl does not always have to steal. There are far more possibilities if the imagination is healthy a bit.

Let me make an example:

A hideous city scribe of Laura wants to plot into a certain direction, and for that gathers minions and "allies in crime". He wants to prevent the builder leader to build a certain cylinder or get it done in time due to a bet ("in 40 days around the cyliner"). For that he hires people to try to sabotage the building in the city, hints to tarnsmen of Lydius that there would be highly beautiful women fit for the collar on a certain caravan that in real only delivers stone and wood for the builder, but what he aims to be attacked by those warriors. And finally he does a few tasks to convince one or two panther girls of a nearby living band to join into a plotting meeting, tasking them with attacking the possible remains of the caravan a second time, and to sneak to a certain shore part of the Laurius river late evening to snatch the daughter of the builder, who likes to enjoy the romantic sun go down there, for ransom... high ransom, aimed to be so high that the builder cannot effort the next load of stones anymore so soon.... and the scribe finally wants to win the bet, thus status and reputation in the homestone...

And poof you have a huge storyline, including panther girls a way that is not always hostile, and likewise I could construct easily for daily life plots - and have lived such for long months already anyways.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:25 am

Thank you for getting my point, Violetta. And indeed, it would go for most of the roles you mentioned, including warriors. Though more so for most outlaw roles (I'd imagine that a group of male outlaws living somewhere near a road between cities would be MORE keen to seek 'outside interaction' as in, robbing, enslaving, and so forth than your average city warrior, who probably has duties in his city, a roof over his head, as well as ample opportunity to entertain himself in his city).

And yes... the conclusion IS that I think that these roles naturally do and maybe SHOULD gravitate towards conflict. I think that conflict would be a natural part of their story-lines/RP. It would also be one of the factors that would incline players to choose such roles.

And, unlike you, I see nothing wrong with that. A broad RP world SHOULD allow for conflict RP. I feel it is essential. The fact that various elements have conspired to make conflict RP in SL Gor problematic over the years, with many players only focussing on the combat aspect and the GE-BtB split largely being along 'WANT combat ONLY vs. NO WANT combat' lines doesn't change that.

Balance is an issue, obviously. Problematic Still, I'd argue for that balance, not for it's opposite.

Return to “Debate It.”