Opening OOC tournaments to female avatars?

PLEASE READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING!

Should Female Avatars be allowed in OOC tournaments?

Yes!
43%
Yes!
43%
No!
4%
No!
4%
Unsure!
4%
Unsure!
4%

Total votes: 28
Lacey
SL Name: Lacey arentire
Caste: The White Ghost
Role: Haunting
Home Stone: Where Dead Goreans go.
Owner: Deka
AkA: Crazy

Opening OOC tournaments to female avatars?

Postby Lacey » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:16 pm

My team has worked throughout the week on a sword tournament that is to be on Friday. During this time, I've been working toward the people of the group to become aligned with what IC and OOC is, beings it was the class we ran this week for our newer players in the academy. During the week I've also spoken with the team, on being probably the very first group to allow female avatars to join a sword tournament, which this Friday will be OOC.

While they understand where I'm coming from, they have also came back with the conclusion that I should not specifically write in the rules that we will allow female avatars. Their reasoning are the following:

1. Not everyone truly understands the dept of how much OOC is OOC and will label we are GE, even if we do not allow females to run around with swords in IC.

and

2. Do I know the amount of chaos it would cause if one of the males lost to a female?

They say the solution to the whole thing is to do a dagger tournament for the females next time.

I'm just stuck in the mud again, trying to figure out when the right time will be where one can run a tournament that is co ed.

What do you all think?
I should have never cut her hair!
Ceri the Urt
Urtastic!
SL Name: Ceri Kesten
Role: Being totally stinky.

Re: Opening OOC tournaments to female avatars?

Postby Ceri the Urt » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:01 pm

I don't see an issue if it is OOC and for fun. If the boys lose to a woman...well, they will just have to try harder. Plus, if they think they have never lost to a woman before they are probably sadly mistaken. Some of the best male fighters I know, are women behind the screen.

If your worried about people letting ooc bleed to ic....well, that may just happen, and it's something you either have to deal with, or ignore.
Don't raise your voice, Improve your Argument.
Theoden
SL Name: Theoden
Caste: Warrior

Postby Theoden » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:20 pm

Even though it is an OOC tournament... it is still a Gorean tournament right?

If you will allow female avatar in the tournament because its OOC, would you mind if someone came in with a neko avatar in the tournament?
Resolver Bouchard

Postby Resolver Bouchard » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:28 pm

Its not really OOC, its more of a temporary fork.

And you wouldn't be overly impressed if you went to watch the jousting at a ren faire and saw Queen Elizabeth riding around with a lance tucked under her arm.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:41 pm

If you want to give it an IC flavor, it makes sense to not have women compete. Or just panther girls or something like that (unless you want to give it a very IC flavor).

But if you do that... you might as well hold your tournament ICly. Maybe that would be more interesting, anyway. The linden prize money... who cares about that, really?
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:33 pm

And finally, why an OOC tournament? Where is the interest for a sim? Make the traffic explode for a day?

Most of these OOC tournaments are even run in a skybox, so visitors dont even see the sim...
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:22 pm

Just a suggestion. Why not make the event IC? Put some stake in it that would be plausible for the winner. Invite the best swordsmen in Gor to come test the mettle of your warriors or a boastful first sword. It can still be great fun, open to visitors and you can also get some great RP out of it.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:57 pm

@ Sasi: I just said that. :thumbup:

@ Kaitlin: Sasi and me just said that. :thumbup:

So much agreement (and so little reading of the post above).
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:19 am

Glaucon wrote:@ Sasi: I just said that. :thumbup:

@ Kaitlin: Sasi and me just said that. :thumbup:

So much agreement (and so little reading of the post above).

I read it and thought I would offer her some examples of what I've seen done ICly to justify the travel between cities which is the usual complaint. I didn't see any examples in your post. Surely things can be "added to" a thought without needing to give you a pat on the back.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:38 am

Why not make the tournament IC?

(Removed)

The people who want IC consequences of anything they do in SL Gor is a bare minimum. There's a whole generation of RP cherry-pickers going around nowadays...

And yes people get even upset at the idea of losing a duel in a tournament for fun nowadays, why do you think there is such little interest of raiding as well among the cherry-pickers? :P
Last edited by Garrgon on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inflammatory remarks.

Return to “Debate It.”