What is honor?

PLEASE READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING!
Lokiande
SL Name: Lokiande Resident

What is honor?

Postby Lokiande » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:22 pm

From the many stories and quotes I've read, honor seems to be a mix of social standing, pride in oneself, and general stubbornness/bullheaded stupidity.

Peasants cannot have honor, honor is something that is more deafening than thunder, quieter than blah blah blah.

To me, "honor" is just a made up way for people to be assholes. So I ask, what is honor, in both the Earth and Gorean sense of the word?
Watchmy Tracer
SL Name: Watchmy Tracer
Caste: Caste of Scribes
Home Stone: Rarn

Re: What is honor?

Postby Watchmy Tracer » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:43 am

Peasants can have honour..
It is both a given and a received thing.

An example.
Peasant referring to a high Caste with the word 'Sir' or 'Master'.. I cannot remember the quote to support but i'm sure there was a discussion involving it. They show respect to the higher caste, an indication of holding moral values.. Honour. - Honour Given

Ok so received. in Slave of Gor, The villager with the slave who dealt with the two guys who abused his property (sat at work at the moment staring at our new secretary, forgive me if i'm vague) He acted with honour in the way with which he dealt with them. He was Low caste. Honour given and received for his actions, yes? He acted in an honourable manner..

My tuppeny's worth to add to your discussion...
Rarn. City of Copper
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Postby Tamar Luminos » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:55 pm

Ok, since this is in the "Gorean Role Play" section, here's a relevant question, "What does honor have to do with Roleplay?"

If you play a character who's supposed to be honorable, how do you translate that into the roleplay?

If you play a character who's not honorable, ditto?

If you play a character who's not honorable but pretending to be honorable for some reason, ditto?

There are so many possibilities...nobody should be boxed in to having to play a single certain character "type". There would be honorable assassins and dishonorable warriors. There would be honorable slaves and dishonorable Ubars. There would be a vast spectrum of character types to play and act out and each would be affected by daily interactions with others- an honorable peasant might have to do something horrific to avoid slavery, or a dishonorable thief might have to do something that ended up being honorable to gain the prize he desires. There is no set way to play a character, or even a character type.

And here's a shocker: Warrior characters can and should be played as dishonorable sometimes! Every character type should be unique, vibrant, mutable according to how the roleplay goes and the personal choices of the typist of the character. Roleplay should be FUN, exciting, unexpected, interactive! All warriors should not be played the same, just as all slaves should not be played the same. Each character is different, the sum of their background, of their experiences, of their interactions. If more people put any thought into that sort of thing, we'd have some amazing characters to play with in online Gor. So when you start to question "honor", consider that it's really just one small factor in what should be a very rich and complex character development, not the end all/be all of one person's character. To an honorable warrior character, it would be everything, perhaps- there's lots of quotes from the books about how to play that type of character. But there are so many other possibilities for character types as well to consider.
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
Ceri the Urt
Urtastic!
SL Name: Ceri Kesten
Role: Being totally stinky.

Postby Ceri the Urt » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:10 pm

What she said. :yeahthat:
Don't raise your voice, Improve your Argument.
RocFurse
SL Name: Roc Furse
Caste: Builder
Role: Nomad (Kataii)
Home Stone: none

Postby RocFurse » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:18 am

Honor is a personal thing. And I wholeharteadly agree that we actually NEED warriors who do act against it. SL Gor certainly needs good and interesting villains, henchmen and minions. And I'm not talking about the fluffy yellow kind.

Good storylines are based on IC conflict, between protagonists and antagonists. And yes, who is what totally depends on your point of view as well.

As for my character: I think Roc considers himself to be one of the "good guys". As with most Wagon People, honor is literally written all over their face: depicted in the brightly colored courage scars.

How do I work the concept of honor into my RP? Mostly be approaching it from the angle of reputation. An Outrider's word should never be broken. With great strength or power comes great responsibility for those entrusted to you, no matter if they be Free of slaves. A warrior will always protect those who are of his House or sworn to it. So aye, basically all the rules you'd expect in a story about medieval knights, GoT episodes or whatnot.

And yes, there are definitely situations where you have to bend the rules. Is it OK to break your word to save a life? Is it OK to use deception when a lot is at stake? Those are the things that make up good stories and allow your character to develop itself. Nobody likes a character that is only good. They need at least some vices to become interesting.

Honor in RP can be a mixture of a strict honor code and some very basic raw emotions. For those who know Star Trek, Klingons work just fine for me as a rolemodel. Just with less space battles and a LOT more Bosks!
Lokiande
SL Name: Lokiande Resident

Postby Lokiande » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:16 pm

Thanks to all your responses, the concept of honor makes a little more sense. :)

Granted, in RP I would never use honor as a reason for anything. It's still a useful bit of info :)

Return to “Debate It.”