Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

Gone to the movies lately? Write a review! Put a Poll in with the options of "Must See", "Wait until it comes out on DvD" or "Use it as a Frisbee"!

I saw Harry Potter 2 and my Rating is:

MUST SEE!!!
38%
MUST SEE!!!
38%
Wait for DvD!
6%
Wait for DvD!
6%
Use it as a Frisbee.
6%
Use it as a Frisbee.
6%

Total votes: 16
Ceri the Urt
Urtastic!
SL Name: Ceri Kesten
Role: Being totally stinky.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

Postby Ceri the Urt » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:53 am

Last weekend Mal and I went to see the final installment of the Harry Potter movies. Both of us have read all of the books and we have seen all of the movies. I honestly thought Part 1 dragged quite a bit, but then it is in the books as well and I understand why JK Rowling did it. The second part however was AWESOME! Out of all of the movies I think I like the first, the goblet of fire and this one the best. It does a fantastic job of tieing up lose ends, and the parts that were changed from the book to the movie actually made it better. I will put the rest in a spoiler.

Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler:
I think they did a really great job of telling he tale without leaving out to much of the information like they had to do with a lot of the books. There were however a few parts that were confusing. When Snape is killed and Harry takes his thoughts and then looks up at them in the bowl thingy, the story told...while it kind of fills in a lot of the information, also leaves you a bit baffled and wondering if Snape is suggesting that he is Harrys Father. Unless you know the books and really remember the minute details about it then you may get completely thrown off here.

They also skipped most of the part about Albus's sister and you are sort of left with a.."what happened to her?" feeling.

Another part I didn't like...(which actually the director hated as well) was the giants...they look kind of cheesy.

Finally a part that I actually loved that they changed a bit is when Harry, Ron and Hermione return from battle and find Tons, Remus, Fred, etc all dead. In the books I thought JK Rowling just killed people off randomly without giving enough emotion, or background into the killings so it was sort of like..."and he died, and she died, and he died, and she died"...and your like..WHAT???...and left with the feeling that she just killed them off for no friggin reason. I HATED that about the book (actually I didn't really like the last book at all). In the movie they really add emotion to the scene, and you get a real feeling that you have witnessed something horrific and it is just so sad. You aren't left with a "what the fuck?" feeling like the book, but more of an OMG feeling. It is sooo horrific and really makes the point about how bad Voldamort really is. It adds emotion where the books leave you sort of scratching your head.

The one thing I miss is at the very end when Harry and all are grown up (they aged them a bit..but they still look like children to me)....They don't mention Tonks and Remus's son. I was bummed about that.

Anyway, I loved it. We saw it in 3D Imax and it was great!
Don't raise your voice, Improve your Argument.
Charlotte
SL Name: Charlotte Milev

Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

Postby Charlotte » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:01 am

Spoiler really is spoiling, lol!

Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler:
As a long-time, highly committed harry potter fan, I'm also fortunate enough to be a one-time student of 'film' so I tend to be ok with any minor plot changes in the films and can often predict them -like I knew that the Dursley's wouldn't make it into the latter films barring number 5 purely because... we don't care about them, and Harry's dislike was set up in first 2 films. The thing that I really don't like is inconsistancies throughout the series, and unfortunately, the one thing that really got my teeth grinding was the grand staircase. That was most definitely NOT in any previous film depicted in such a manner. And the grand walkway bridge thing into the school (where the statues stood guard) Oh and the boat house! glass? pish! Its wood!!!
GRRR! Particularly GRR because I've played the Harry Potter 5-6 games (on Wii, brilliant for potter fans) and the map/layout of the school is so exactingly laid out, it was about as annoying as in films 1 and 2 when Hagrids hut was like... 20m from the school! Wow see, I'm a potter freak, I can rant! I'll try reign it in.
As far as purely graphics/CG goes, this film blows all the previous ones out of the water, I sat there, jaw gaping at the Dragon scenes, it was SO lifelike and... compared to film 4's dragons it was a completely different ball park.
As far as costume goes, I'm still pissy at how 'pretty' they make Hermione (I know Watson is gawgeous but ... you can dull women down, we've seen it in 'being John Malkovitch').

For days I was rather pathetically forlorn 'harry potter is over! *cry* Until I realised, actually, no, it just means I don't have to wait literal years to see the next advancement.

Things I adored: The Kings Cross 'dead' scene, so well depicted! The magical shield around the school (anyone raises their wand to the sky on hogwarts ground and I'm bound to get teary!) Ron's wracking cry of dismay at Fred's death (finally they let Grint act and not just play side kick!) Ghost of Ravenclaw/Helena morphing face when she got angry)

Final thought:
Yes, I agree, the epilogue scene was dull. It was anti-climactic, it was... normal... But, I've come to realise, thats 'they all lived happily ever after' Harry gets his wish "I just want to be normal" and... I agree, they could've gone further with the makeup, however they *were* only 38, and all of them (characters) barring Hermione led highly active life as aurors or quidditch players, so they'd take care of their bods...

Ceri, love u, but why didn't you go to see this... a million days ago when it came out!? lol
Never underestimate the power of the angry mod even if you are a trained fighter. -Vyl
Ceri the Urt
Urtastic!
SL Name: Ceri Kesten
Role: Being totally stinky.

Postby Ceri the Urt » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:47 am

LOL we saw it opening weekend!!! I just didn't review it until now!
Don't raise your voice, Improve your Argument.
Pelopidas
SL Name: Dion Diavolo

Postby Pelopidas » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:45 pm

Some Harry Potter movies i liked, this wasnt one of them, no "magic", just a rush towards a descent "confrontation", which was a bit dull too.
Charlotte
SL Name: Charlotte Milev

Postby Charlotte » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:55 am

Pelopidas wrote:Some Harry Potter movies i liked, this wasnt one of them, no "magic", just a rush towards a descent "confrontation", which was a bit dull too.

Very true, Pelo, spending 7 films to an unsatisfying climax... rather like masturbating for 10 years then only orgasming for a split second -oh wait, thats what happens to guys! lol

My fave potter film is tied between 3 and 4. 3 I just... love, and 4 because of the structure/fun of it.
Never underestimate the power of the angry mod even if you are a trained fighter. -Vyl

Return to “Movie Reviews!”