Contract pays 100 Gold Tarns (Assassins Vote Only Please)

100gp Contract. Do you accept the job?

Yes
32%
Yes
32%
No
18%
No
18%

Total votes: 28
Carter
SL Name: ***

Re: Contract pays 100 Gold Tarns (Assassins Vote Only Please

Postby Carter » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:20 am

alana wrote:Wasn't it Richard III that supposedly murdered his two nephews to eliminate them from succession? They were about 10 and 13 at the time. If I remember and that was in the 1400s, right?

Yup.. thats the example I was looking for..
Gallonman
SL Name: Large Flagstaff (Vincent)
Caste: Black Caste
Home Stone: Shadows

Postby Gallonman » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:54 am

Considering it's stated in the books that most Gorean men are lucky to see 1 Golden Tarn in their entire life time (Keeping in mind Gorean men live to be about 800 if they're lucky) I'd be puzzled ICly and OOCly.

ICly: How could one individual harvest a fortune that great? Who exactly is paying this amount of money, more than multiple cities together could muster up together for the life of a child? The controversial issue isn't that I'm killing a child, the controversial issue is what exactly is happening that I'm being offered this great amount of money for a death? There would have to be something going on globally that everyone knew about that would make this legitimate. No city alone could come up with 100 Golden Tarns, let alone one person.

OOCly:
I find it depressing that people undermine the value of a Golden Tarn. This isn't the US dollar, you can't just print more of it. This is Gold. What the US currency used to be backed by. So what I don't understand is how someone could accumulate this much wealth and NOT be an assassin who has done COUNTLESS assassinations to gain that much or not be a global phenomenon that everyone knows about. Unless you are Ubar of Ar during a take over, who in their right mind would financially buckle a city if not more on the life of just a child? The circumstances are so absurd it's not even really a valid question.

My interpretation: So would you kill a child for a good amount of money?: No one is safe from an assassination, an Ubar's child? Possibly a future ruler in an oppressive city that is dominating another city? Sure, it sounds like a legitimate job. Of course I'd kill the child. Gor is a harsh world and it breeds harsh people. Maybe killing a child is ethically wrong nowadays but let's look back in more medieval times where Gor is based. I don't think a Prince of any age would be spared because he is a child.

"Killing is My Business.....and Business is Good."
Black Gold and Steel
Vincent Cassady
HorizonNinetails
SL Name: Horizon Ninetails
Caste: Pirate
Role: Scoundrel
Home Stone: Deck beneath my feet

Postby HorizonNinetails » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:40 am

Gold becomes tossed around more freely as the books go on.

Norman contradicts himself more than the New Testament.
Frevet

Postby Frevet » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:44 am

I'd have my elf girl kill it. She'd not like it, she'd probably look at her contractor with disdain, but she'd do it. 100 gold is a lot of money, enough money to pay a priest to wash your soul clean and have a nice life for a couple of months. :P
Garian
SL Name: Garian Vidor

Postby Garian » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:15 pm

Vincent, check the rest of the thread (my posts). Also, read the books!

Another example of 100 gold being thrown around: Rask for Elinor at the end of Captive.

The lifetime you speak of Vincent is the common Gorean laborer, which a Ubar and assassin are not.
GariansGoreanGuide.tumblr.com

"In the heart of every male, there is a Gorean, even if only a secret, concealed Gorean."
Rebels of Gor
Elle Couerblanc
SL Name: Elle

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:06 pm

alana wrote:I think that we look at this sort of thing as abominable because we look at it with the mindset of a modern Earth culture and not the brutal culture of the Goreans. I can see this happening easily enough as much as I am personally horrified by the thought. Greed can motivate some horrendous things in spite of how much the Goreans liked children.

Wasn't it Richard III that supposedly murdered his two nephews to eliminate them from succession? They were about 10 and 13 at the time. If I remember and that was in the 1400s, right?

It would seem that the child of an Ubar, just as the child of royalty, could easily have a target on its back. I would expect that it would be well guarded though.

This, plus with the right player it could make a hell of a story for the assassin. What if there was some twist involved such as the ubara was a former lover and the child is actually his. I think to often we look at things in rp as too "real" rather than for what it is - a story.
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Visit me at Elle's World http://ellecouerblanc.com/

Return to “Assassins”