Contract pays 100 Gold Tarns (Assassins Vote Only Please)

100gp Contract. Do you accept the job?

Yes
32%
Yes
32%
No
18%
No
18%

Total votes: 28
Carter
SL Name: ***

Re: Contract pays 100 Gold Tarns (Assassins Vote Only Please

Postby Carter » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:38 pm

What's the problem..

in the context of GOR. and certainly in the earth context of a similiar civilisation ..ie Rome, Greece and all the way to Medieval England.. children of Kings, Emperors where killed by political opponents, even by members of the same family..didnt Cleopatra have her younger brother killed and Richard II (I think) reputedly had his young nephews killed in the Tower of London...

Put away your 21st Century values and morals and be Goreans.
HorizonNinetails
SL Name: Horizon Ninetails
Caste: Pirate
Role: Scoundrel
Home Stone: Deck beneath my feet

Postby HorizonNinetails » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:05 pm

I don't have a problem with the kid part, so long as its an NPC.

I think the 100 gold tarns is bogus. Seems like its made up.

But if everything was on the up and up OOC wise, my assassin wouldnt have a problem with it. The biggest issue would be pride in the task - assassins like a challenge.

I wouldn't take the contract however, me the RPer, because it just kinda seems...phony.
Garian
SL Name: Garian Vidor

Postby Garian » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:55 pm

I voted yes. I'd negotiate more gold though.
GariansGoreanGuide.tumblr.com

"In the heart of every male, there is a Gorean, even if only a secret, concealed Gorean."
Rebels of Gor
E. Edward Gray
SL Name: Mr. Resident
Role: Back in the Game

Postby E. Edward Gray » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:59 pm

Barbarbosa (SP) was a slave baby and left behind to die after the wagons she was traveling in was abandoned..
Thats how they found her remember nothing but the trinket..

No Goreans didn't treasure children any more then then treasured anything in the novels..

For 100 gold you could hire 100 killers..

And no the question is fine.. someone is just being overly sensitive ..
I'm not happy unless you're not happy..
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:16 pm

Mhmm...

I think JN did censor a lot of things in his works though. Probably intentionally, because he, as a person that clearly did a lot of historical research to base his cultures on, did leave out a lot of the things which happened in history.

One of the main things that stuck to me is the explenation that until only about a hundred years ago there really was not much seperation that the average joe made between an adult and a child. Children were just regarded as mini-adults, and were expected to go work for their share and pull their weight as much as anyone else in the household. In the early 1800s kids often used to move out of the house around the age of 12-14 and were expected to start building up their own household...

Lots of kid soldiers that were used in the middle ages too. Roman and greek culture seemed to put more emphasis on giving kids education though if the families could afford it. But even there you had cases like Alexander who was being prepped to lead armies long before he took the throne when he was 20 and set out to conquer Persia. If I recall correctly he massacred a legendary spartan elite called "the 300" (named after the even more legendary men of Leonidas) with cavalries under his command when he didn't even have pubes yet...
E. Edward Gray
SL Name: Mr. Resident
Role: Back in the Game

Postby E. Edward Gray » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:26 pm

Up until the big dental care push of 1920's and 30's most people didn't live past their 50's and 60's so 100 years ago a 14 year old was quiet literally in mid life..
I'm not happy unless you're not happy..
Yani
SL Name: Yanika Calamity
Role: not active

Postby Yani » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:23 am

I just wonder who would be able to pay a 100 gold tarn, it seems like some one hasn't got a clue of the value of a single gold tarn
Garian
SL Name: Garian Vidor

Postby Garian » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:56 am

Perhaps the Ubar of a rival city. The child in question is an Ubar's. The kill is a first kill.

From Assassin of Gor, we know Kuruus was going to be paid 120 gold tarns double weighted for a second killing to avenge Tarl. We know it won't be likely that just anyone would do the deed of killing a child, and the Black Caste are professional killers to make sure the job is done correctly.

Yeah, it's a fortune, but not unreal for Gor.
GariansGoreanGuide.tumblr.com

"In the heart of every male, there is a Gorean, even if only a secret, concealed Gorean."
Rebels of Gor
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:16 am

Alice McConnell wrote:1. I'd accept the contract.
2. Sneak a look at the child and make plans.
3. Find an informer of the green caste and wait for a child of that age and build to die of natural causes (even in gor, that should not take that long), then steal it's body.
4. I'd collect a skin of tarsk's blood.
5. I'd abduct the child, sedating it with thassa powder.
6. I'd leave the body of the dead child, crush it beyond recognition and use the (fresh) blood to make it seem recently dead.
7. I'd bring the child to another city and find good foster parents for it, pay them generously.
8. I'd collect the bounty, without claiming that I had completed it, counting on the outcry of the murder to have spread the news to the contract giver.
9. I'd keep tabs on the boy.
10. 20 years later, perhaps in retirement, I'd put my mark on again, and seek out and kill the boy, now a man grown.

Honour satisfied, contract kept, contract-giver satisfied, fortune earned.

:clap:
Of course, not a scenario that you could really play out in SL. But, asside from this being a bit more bloody than is typical for Norman, this is the sort of story you might encounter in the books, including the weird sense of honour.
alana
SL Name: alana quicksand

Postby alana » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:45 am

I think that we look at this sort of thing as abominable because we look at it with the mindset of a modern Earth culture and not the brutal culture of the Goreans. I can see this happening easily enough as much as I am personally horrified by the thought. Greed can motivate some horrendous things in spite of how much the Goreans liked children.

Wasn't it Richard III that supposedly murdered his two nephews to eliminate them from succession? They were about 10 and 13 at the time. If I remember and that was in the 1400s, right?

It would seem that the child of an Ubar, just as the child of royalty, could easily have a target on its back. I would expect that it would be well guarded though.
Retreat from reality ~ The substitution of the imaginary for the real.
~I know a lot more than you think, but I keep it to myself to save arguments~
Part of the 1%, lucky me! Must suck to be you. :poke:

Return to “Assassins”