Contract pays 100 Gold Tarns (Assassins Vote Only Please)

100gp Contract. Do you accept the job?

Yes
32%
Yes
32%
No
18%
No
18%

Total votes: 28
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Re: Contract pays 100 Gold Tarns (Assassins Vote Only Please

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:27 am

If you're talking about SL Gor then ... everyone has 100 gold spare. Like that Torvie who paid me 600 gold to buy his bond back, so if a job only pays 1/6th of selling a slave I'd probably not do it and go into slave-trade instead. :D
Ceri the Urt
Urtastic!
SL Name: Ceri Kesten
Role: Being totally stinky.

Postby Ceri the Urt » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:40 am

I am curious if a gorean would even kill a child period. Weren't children seen as precious entities to all goreans?

Gorean culture tends to view the body, its development, its appetites and needs, with congeniality. We do not grow excited about the growth of trees, and Goreans do not grow excited about the growth of people. In some respects the Goreans are, perhaps, cruel. Yet they have never seen fit, through lies, to inflict suffering on children. They seem generally to me to be fond of children. Perhaps that is why they seldom hurt them. Even slave children, incidentally, are seldom abused or treated poorly, and are given much freedom, until they reach their young adulthood. It is then, of course, that they are taught that they are slaves. Men come, and the young male is tied and taken to the market. If the young slave is a female she may or may not be sent to a market. Many young slave maidens are raised almost as daughters in a home. It is often a startling and frightening day for such a girl when, one morning, she finds herself suddenly, unexpectedly, put in a collar and whipped, and made to begin to pay the price of her now-blossomed slave beauty. Beasts of Gor, page 155
Don't raise your voice, Improve your Argument.
Victor.
SL Name: Victor Klavinham
Role: Mister Internet
Home Stone: SalernuM
Owner: V for VESSEL

Postby Victor. » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:46 am

Ceri the Urt wrote:I am curious if a gorean would even kill a child period. Weren't children seen as precious entities to all goreans?

Gorean culture tends to view the body, its development, its appetites and needs, with congeniality. We do not grow excited about the growth of trees, and Goreans do not grow excited about the growth of people. In some respects the Goreans are, perhaps, cruel. Yet they have never seen fit, through lies, to inflict suffering on children. They seem generally to me to be fond of children. Perhaps that is why they seldom hurt them. Even slave children, incidentally, are seldom abused or treated poorly, and are given much freedom, until they reach their young adulthood. It is then, of course, that they are taught that they are slaves. Men come, and the young male is tied and taken to the market. If the young slave is a female she may or may not be sent to a market. Many young slave maidens are raised almost as daughters in a home. It is often a startling and frightening day for such a girl when, one morning, she finds herself suddenly, unexpectedly, put in a collar and whipped, and made to begin to pay the price of her now-blossomed slave beauty. Beasts of Gor, page 155

You mean as much as they're seen as precious entities to us regular non-Goreans on Earth and still we and others wrong them in one way or the other?

Regarding something some way, even if it is agreed upon by a group of people, is in no way an indicator on how they'd see it if confronted with an issue on that stance.

And as Norman himself even allowed leeway in his semantics on how children were "seldom hurt" - is good enough a phrasing to assume it'd be up to the individual to make that decision.
Last edited by Victor. on Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft. // Jealousy is a passion, seeking zealously what causes suffering. Franz Grillparzer
Vylixan
SL Name: Massah Dude
Owner: I own.

Postby Vylixan » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:47 am

Watch the word through lies in your quote and inflict suffering. they are not torturing children though nothing is said about not just killing them. And Politics is a dirty game.
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:51 am

Don't miss the keywords "generally" and "seldom" though. Nothing ever realistically exists within a 100% certainty margin.
I think JN put his foot quite deep enough into sociology to understand that no human being will ever adhere to an archetype.

Where was it that I read that in the Voltai regions it was said sometimes kids would be found left behind with wooden pegs in their ankles, because they were deemed unfit. Also didn't the Alar have some cruel way of dealing with their newborns / kids to see if they could survive in the wilderness on their own?
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:00 am

Well a good example of how plausible this would be is the young Ubar Henrius Sevarius aka slave boy "Fish". I'm not certain when they would get over the scruples of killing children but its safe to say at puberty it would be a viable contract. Something else to consider is that it depends on the assassin. I can easily see Pa-Kur taking this contract. Raw Ambition.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
Victor.

Postby Victor. » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:05 am

Anarch12911 wrote:Don't miss the keywords "generally" and "seldom" though. Nothing ever realistically exists within a 100% certainty margin.
I think JN put his foot quite deep enough into sociology to understand that no human being will ever adhere to an archetype.

Where was it that I read that in the Voltai regions it was said sometimes kids would be found left behind with wooden pegs in their ankles, because they were deemed unfit. Also didn't the Alar have some cruel way of dealing with their newborns / kids to see if they could survive in the wilderness on their own?

"Male newborns will receive two shallow cuts above the cheekbones, this being one of their rituals."

"It must learn to endure wounds before it receives the nourishment of milk." Mercenaries of Gor, page 47

Might be what you're referring to in regards to the Alar.
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft. // Jealousy is a passion, seeking zealously what causes suffering. Franz Grillparzer
Ceri the Urt
Urtastic!
SL Name: Ceri Kesten
Role: Being totally stinky.

Postby Ceri the Urt » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:22 am

Male newborns receive two shallow cuts under their eyes because it is said they must endure wounds before they get the nourishment of their mothers milk.

I see that as more tradition then abuse though. Sort of like men getting circed.
Don't raise your voice, Improve your Argument.
Victor.

Postby Victor. » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:35 am

Yeah, that's how I saw it. Not really cruel, but maybe Anarch referred to something else.
Alice McConnell
SL Name: Alice McConnell
Caste: For(r)est Girl
Role: Former gorum wordcount champ
Home Stone: Jara stole it
Owner: Var Viverra She

Postby Alice McConnell » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:20 pm

I imagine it would really depend on the assassin. And no, this doesn't strike me as some trolling post. Surprised that anyone would feel that way.

If I were playing the assassin in a 'gorean fashion'?

1. I'd accept the contract.
2. Sneak a look at the child and make plans.
3. Find an informer of the green caste and wait for a child of that age and build to die of natural causes (even in gor, that should not take that long), then steal it's body.
4. I'd collect a skin of tarsk's blood.
5. I'd abduct the child, sedating it with thassa powder.
6. I'd leave the body of the dead child, crush it beyond recognition and use the (fresh) blood to make it seem recently dead.
7. I'd bring the child to another city and find good foster parents for it, pay them generously.
8. I'd collect the bounty, without claiming that I had completed it, counting on the outcry of the murder to have spread the news to the contract giver.
9. I'd keep tabs on the boy.
10. 20 years later, perhaps in retirement, I'd put my mark on again, and seek out and kill the boy, now a man grown.

Honour satisfied, contract kept, contract-giver satisfied, fortune earned.

Return to “Assassins”