A Physician Did what???

A physician of Gor would most likely.... (Choose up to two)

.. do his job; which is healing.
18%
.. do his job; which is healing.
18%
... carry a sword and rape and plunder.
2%
... carry a sword and rape and plunder.
2%
... do whatever he wanted.
22%
... do whatever he wanted.
22%
... steal muffins at the bakery
8%
... steal muffins at the bakery
8%

Total votes: 50
Violetta Daviau
SL Name: Violetta Daviau

Re: A Physician Did what???

Postby Violetta Daviau » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:33 am

Alecks wrote:There has to be a serious way to portray a an absurd character!

Let's say I take my panther girl to the woods with a sword tied to her belt... Imagine the drama! Im's all over questioning the sword! OMG! A sword on a panther!

Sadly, yes. It is interesting how panther girls enslave men in the forests, from huntsmen over outlaws to warriors, but leave their weapons aside. Would they sell the weapons? Saying "yes" would but be an assumption as there is nothing said about it. The quotes about panther girl weaponry place them in a very wilderness based spot: Spear, club, bow, sleenknife, all things you do not necessarily need iron for.
The drama people make when it comes to swords on panther girls though is not because it might be unauthentic or not appearing in the books - which is placed as fake reason given a panther girl can well take a sword from an enslaved man - it is because the sword is the by margin most powerfull melee weapon and people fear to lose their advantages and possibly lose a fight.

Alecks wrote:...Now what I do with the sword counts... it's heavy... I'm female and dratz nobody trained me in fencing. So I would lose and the sword would have not served me.

The point that makes the sword less usefull than e.g. the spear IC is that you are - as you say - not trained in its usage. It is NOT the physical strength. There are examples ranging from FW to Kajirae using swords and partly even with devasting consequences on the one they aim at.
Aside of that: Least people are really professionally trained to fight with swords, namely Caste Warriors, Caste Guards, Caste Assassins I think, the rest has learned it, if at all, when having their - surely as inprofficient - father, brother or comrade spar with them and show them some basic tricks.
Panther girls were not born knowing to fight with the spear either, so that profficiency is either also rather low - as for everyone else but the mentioned pros - or gained by months and years of hunting and sparring in the woods. So from a sheer logic perspective, I can see swords, conquered swords, to be in the hands of some panther girls who trained with them as they trained with the spear. That though shall not mean that every panther girl uses them, due to not all being able to find one nor all being as endurant and patient as to train with them sufficiently.

Alecks wrote:My panther becomes absurd when that sword becomes a weapon which can be used at the same level of men or the same precision of a dagger. That's when I should be questioned. To put it simply... I ruin the laws of physics within Gor (ok that sounds ridiculoud but help me out here).

Absurd surely not, an exception to the most common rather. Aside of that, a FW or Kajira that might become a panther girl at some point, is not trained in dagger fighting either, it is as well more likely a brawling style, hackyslash.
The physics of Gor have nothing to do with women using or not using a sword, they can carry it, they can wield it, they just have never been trained in its usage, did not learn the feints and tricky attack ways, so they neither built the agility nor memorized the technics to use it well, i.e. it is a cultural limit, less a physical one.

Alecks wrote:I honestly think that going from a psychian with a sword to a psychian that goes rampage instead of following his job first is another thing... and like most absurdities in Gor and rp venues should be tested before mocking.

I tend to agree if I understand this last right. I see it personally as mostly, yet not entirely, parallel to panther girls and sword usage.
People in SL Gor use swords for its GM battle superiority if the bow does not cut it.
In a real Gor though, the range of people using swords would be very limited, much more the number of people actually trained in it - and I mean really trained. A peasant father is just not as good a teacher as a warrior cylinder trainer, an outlaw learning basics by his comrades between their waylaying or fleeing. The same would be the physician daddy that trains his son in medications and surgery technics, relaying on the city to be defended by the warriors, would, if fighting with a sword, surely use it as clumsily, as brawlstyle, like a self trained panther girl. Scribes, builders and such as well, slavers might work wonders with the whips, but when it comes to sword or spear they might be working them quite rudimentary. Depending on caste you have single sided advantages though, a smith is strong enough maybe to break a non-warrior defenseblock, a physician with his knowledge about anatomics might, once he knows how to stab somewhat stable, be a dangerous foe until you force him into slashing-only mode.

Just like on earth, if you buy a gun or a rifle because you consider owning one fun or catering your security needs does not make you wild west highnoon hero or a US marines sniper. And if I had to chose, I would not take the nunchacku (sp?) but the dough roll or baseball bat to fend off that burglar as the burglar would have surely a laugh seeing me devaste myself with the nunchacku, yet even the baseball bat I could not use as filigrane as a Bo-Do master (staff fighter) or even only a baseball pro player.

Anyways, the biggest problem for weapon usage is the system we use: GM, and its unbalanced weaponry, its non-existing differentiation between roles, and the rather poor implementation of the combat mode as well as hit-results.
Means: A physician can kill a warrior with one scalpell stab given the right situation (cut a central veine, cut a nerve or tendon...).

If we had a system that displays roles and their weapons plus their profficiency correctly, the entire battle in SL Gor would look different. People would be carefull to approach a peasant with his staff and long bow, panther girl forests would be far more dangerous, the Taharian man would eventually need his Kaiila to hope to be a match for a warrior in melee battle and people facing those huge strong brutes from torvaldslands would hope to be as agile as one from the entertainer caste to evade those headflipping axeswings.

But then we come to the hero'n'slave representation of Gor in SL. Near to every warrior can do field medics to an extend that safes every life - especially if they only pour some (add: magical "PK") salve on a wound and bandage it, but when a physican states he accompanies the warfare of his homestone's warriors frequently and thus is able to defend his hide with a sword (like warriors have high combat, mediocre healing, the physician mediocre combat, high healing skills), it become questionable for people. Understandable?
No if looking at the anyways reduced realism of SL that, if applying some realism, discriminates certain roles far stronger than others.
Yes, as people want to feel the world and culture of Gor immersively, and if 90% of the players of each role are the exception to the rule and culture, it just cannot happen.
Danika Stenvaag
SL Name: Danika Stenvaag
Caste: Panther
Role: Valkyrie Torva Chieftess
Home Stone: Valkyrie Forest

Postby Danika Stenvaag » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:52 am

there is no geneva convention in gor for physicians. i'm a trained physician and i don't remember ever having to take a hippocratic oath swearing to practice medicine ethically in gor. there is no law carved into a stone tablet declaring: thou shalt not carry a weapon while practicing the healing arts. i don't remember reading anything in the books by john norman forbidding a healer from carrying a weapon.

so sure it's possible for a physician to carry a sword or some weapon of defense. some doctors on earth own guns. that doesn't make them soldiers or mercenaries of war. and maybe some physicians in the military would be forced to use a weapon when under intense fire. again anything is possible.

but i will say like attracts like and your mentality and thinking draws you to your profession or life's work. those drawn to healing even in gor would more likely be drawn to helping others and endeavoring to help make the sick get better. fighting wouldn't be the norm but it wouldn't be impossible either.

i'm a panther now, but the healer in me wants to help those that are wounded or sick. as in real life, so in gor, i can't imagine deliberately hurting another person. i get no pleasure out of bringing pain to others. i want to help, to make others better. i loath torture or harming anyone... but i also am aware that not all healers in gor would think that way. and a male physician carrying a sword is not so surprising. he is a man. this is gor.
What is hidden in snow, is revealed at thaw. ~ Viking proverb

http://www.valkyriepanthers.com
All Sunday
SL Name: wannabeslave
Home Stone: Kaelus

Postby All Sunday » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:56 am

The two problems with Gor in SL are mostly related to realism and boredom.

Violetta: My role as panther has been tricky like no other... because of all roles in Gor it gives women a chance at combat so that is like giving a magnifying glass to all those who approach ready to highlight the smallest flaw. Talk about stress!

We have two meters as far as I know in GOR and neither provides the realism requested so what do we do? We limit at least on writing and visually what we have to keep it "cool". I get that... no objections on that need.

Now boredom! The psychian does what he is enrolled to do... heal... but of course hardly there is a line of people rping that so what better way to use his valuable online time than fight? Can you blame the guy? A raid comes and there is like... one rarius? Still I would limit this! Let’s keep common sense folks.

For this exceptions the GM meter could establish a disadvantage for none based fighting roles yet not at the same level of a female one but I am no scripter so I won’t' go further into that. Suppose if we start making all this changes we will never see the end of it.
Based on these two characteristics I’ve adopted a wider point of view of what is acceptable (be it also because I read only 4 books) and the opportunity to have fun over realism.

I have changed my mind several times over many things so in a way I can see how easily I can be consider hypocrite but honestly... who cares? If you do then you don’t even necessarily have to stop playing in Gor... end the RP and move to the next one.
Hawt Sommer

Postby Hawt Sommer » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:00 pm

Danika Stenvaag wrote:there is no geneva convention in gor for physicians. i'm a trained physician and i don't remember ever having to take a hippocratic oath swearing to practice medicine ethically in gor.

Geneva Convention- is that anything like the Sardar Fairs? :hrm:

No you can say you are anything without ever having any real training or anything: Including the Black Caste (sorry guys)

With that in mind, Today I'm going to be a: Ubar Thief Mage Assassin and Level 99.
(Holds up his Vulcan Peace Sign) :geek:

By the way... News flash, Guy is wearing a Red caste uniform now. ;)

You think he's reading this? :|
Last edited by Hawt Sommer on Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Victor.
SL Name: Victor Klavinham
Role: Mister Internet
Home Stone: SalernuM
Owner: V for VESSEL

Postby Victor. » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:03 pm

Alright, I'll put a penny in my 'Godwin's Law'-piggy bank for this but I am surprised there wasn't anyone out there yet (what I heard of) who gave his Physician a bit of a Mengele mythos :hrm:

You know, the sort of man who sets out to raid, sacking villages with his henchmen to expose them to his malicious experiments. A penchant for twins and the purest of interests to discover the perfect double-helix DNA string to reconstruct a full-bred, hot-blooded Übermensch!

:popcorn:

Norman would be thrilled about it, no doubt! ;)

Want a villainous Physician archetype? Well I think history provides them plenty. Pretty much cut-out for people already. :silent:
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft. // Jealousy is a passion, seeking zealously what causes suffering. Franz Grillparzer
Hawt Sommer

Postby Hawt Sommer » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:18 pm

I suppose there is that.. but wouldn't he just send some henchmen to go get his supplies, them physicians are highly paid aren't they?

Why go get your hands dirty with that... They will get them plenty dirty when the victims are strapped to the lab table. 8-)

I wonder how Tarl Cabbot would do against Superman? Probably be a good fight for sure.
All Sunday

Postby All Sunday » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:21 pm

Hawt Sommer wrote:By the way... News flash, Guy is wearing a Red caste uniform now. ;)

I'm more worried to hear you are stalking him :o.O:

Mad doctors! We love 'em!
Hawt Sommer

Postby Hawt Sommer » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:25 pm

Alecks wrote:
Hawt Sommer wrote:By the way... News flash, Guy is wearing a Red caste uniform now. ;)

I'm more worried to hear you are stalking him :o.O:

Mad doctors! We love 'em!

Hmmm... never met one.

Aleks- I think you should put a girlie picture up of yourself. Either it's a Cartoon or you in a gasmask.

Shock us.
Violetta Daviau
SL Name: Violetta Daviau

Postby Violetta Daviau » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:54 pm

Alecks wrote:...
Violetta: My role as panther has been tricky like no other... because of all roles in Gor it gives women a chance at combat so that is like giving a magnifying glass to all those who approach ready to highlight the smallest flaw. Talk about stress!

Whom do you tell...
I've played that role for years, and since August I have researched books, forums, nearly everything to find out what would be BTB, what not, what could be realistic without breaking the immersion of Gor for people, what not, and wrote a certification program, about 10 guides about various aspects, gave classes and lectures, talked to band leaders, oh... and I think I had some RP story line going on as a side note too...

:heart:
All Sunday

Postby All Sunday » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:19 pm

Hawt: That’s Ratman, my Italian hero! If you want feminine pics need only click the flicker on my signature. But of you insist...

Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler:

Violetta: Yeah I read about the opportunities on the panther group, I support the help that these groups have also because it can actually create a helpful community and why not make friends... though... though... I hope people don’t start asking future panthers to be enrolled in such group before they rp like happens with the bc.

Return to “Physicians”