A Physician Did what???

A physician of Gor would most likely.... (Choose up to two)

.. do his job; which is healing.
18%
.. do his job; which is healing.
18%
... carry a sword and rape and plunder.
2%
... carry a sword and rape and plunder.
2%
... do whatever he wanted.
22%
... do whatever he wanted.
22%
... steal muffins at the bakery
8%
... steal muffins at the bakery
8%

Total votes: 50
Dren Bernard
SL Name: Dren Bernard
Caste: Physician's
Role: On sabatical
Home Stone: Salernum

Re: A Physician Did what???

Postby Dren Bernard » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:00 am

:thumbup:
Dren & Kait's Gorean Physician's resource:
http://teslikandsiproot.webs.com/
Charlotte
SL Name: Charlotte Milev

Postby Charlotte » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:09 am

Vylixan wrote:Never underestimate the power of the angry mod even if you are a trained fighter.

Brilliant typo, Vylixan! Can I use this as my siggie!?

"I don't care if your a trained fighter, I'm the mod of this forum and you won't spam like that! :fryingpan:"

Oh and can I add to the main question:

Learning how to wield a sword, even well, doesn't make one competition to Warrior caste.
That's like I can be a really fast runner, train every day, but it doesn't make me an olympian.
Or I can dress and behave just like spanish royalty, doesn't mean I am.
Never underestimate the power of the angry mod even if you are a trained fighter. -Vyl
Vylixan
SL Name: Massah Dude
Owner: I own.

Postby Vylixan » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:23 am

Charlotte wrote:
Vylixan wrote:Never underestimate the power of the angry mod even if you are a trained fighter.

Brilliant typo, Vylixan! Can I use this as my siggie!?

"I don't care if your a trained fighter, I'm the mod of this forum and you won't spam like that! :fryingpan:"

/Obama mode on " Yes you can .. ;tybow: "/Obama mode off
Hawt Sommer

Postby Hawt Sommer » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:11 am

Scribe Applying for the Redcaste:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMOmB1q8W4Y
Kaiila Mahoney
SL Name: Kaiila Mahoney

Postby Kaiila Mahoney » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:57 pm

Came in the forums to add to the RFL post but saw this. Hawt I believe if that's the mans RP it's really up to the people that role play with him. I think each of us have visions of how a person of caste would act. I agree there is no mention of where a physician couldn't use a weapon and that physician's had codes just never specifically what they were. I also however never read any incident of a physician that did fight or defend, even when their work and infirmaries were destroyed. Like in Dren's quotes. I never saw a description of a physician carrying a weapon. Maybe I am wrong. I do like these quote on caste.

To most Goreans it would be unthinkable to alter caste. He is generally too proud of his caste and it is too much a part of him for him to think in such terms. It is, too, recognized that all, or most, of the castes perform necessary, commendable or useful functions. The Leatherworker, accordingly, does not spend much time envying the Metalworker, or the Metalworker the Leatherworker, or either the Clothworker, and so on. All need sandals and wallets, and clothes, and metal tools. Each does, however, tend to think of his own caste as something special, and, somehow, I suspect, as being perhaps a little bit preferable to the others. Most Goreans are quite content with their castes; this is probably a function of caste pride. I have little doubt but what the caste structure contributes considerably to the stability of Gorean society. Among other things it reduces competitive chaos, social and economic, and prevents the draining of intelligence and ambition into a small number of envied, prestigious occupationsFighting Slave of Gor pg(s) 209-211

and these on codes.. to say physicians did have them..

"Further, members of castes such as the Physicians and Builders use the fairs for the dissemination of information and techniques among Caste Brothers, as is prescribed in their codes in spite of the fact that their respective cities may be hostile. And as might be expected members of the Caste of Scribes gather here to enter into dispute and examine and trade manuscripts." — Priest Kings, page 9.

"The ethical teachings of Gor, which are independent of the claims and propositions of the Initiates, amount to little more than the Caste Codes - collections of sayings whose origins are lost in antiquity. I was specially drilled in the Code of the Warrior Caste." — Tarnsman of Gor, pages 40-41

I like that word "ethical" curious what that means in Gor. But it does mention they were lost in antiquity...

There are many other quotes on caste pride. It doesn't mean though someone cannot play it darker or pushing the limits of what would be deemed ethical. I am sure there were bad physicians as there were in any caste. So all power to him. I also think that he needs to understand he is susceptible to being punished for his unethical behavior. Play it bad but be prepared to pay the consequences in character.

Attacking him to say he is not playing a physician by the books is just OOC bantering and should be eliminated from rp. Keep it fun and have fun teaching him a lesson in character.

Thanks

Kaiila
Hawt Sommer

Postby Hawt Sommer » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:55 pm

Kaiila Mahoney wrote:Attacking him to say he is not playing a physician by the books is just OOC bantering and should be eliminated from rp. Keep it fun and have fun teaching him a lesson in character.

I wasn't attacking him OOC'ly, just poking a little fun. But certain castes did have certain behaviors associated to them- Didn't they? This is obvious I thought. You didn't have pirate bandit physicians. (at least that I know of, haven't read the last four books.. could be possible)

I am a big advocate for anyone being able to play anything that they want. I come from a background of GE where roller-skates, cigarettes and bubble gum were prevalent.

Your average Gorean "In Character"would snicker at the man and say. "You sure you want to heal people?" Caste was by birth but exceptions to all rules were made.

Here we go again with Hawt is mean for pointing out something that a Gorean would find silly and out of sorts:

If you look at my poll you will see my question:
"What would a physician normally do?" More than 1/2 the people said "Anything but his job"

Now of course I'm sure some people clicked buttons just for fun.. because it's just fun to click at random. ;)

I knew that Gorean caste lines, though largely following birth, were not inflexible, and that a man who did not care for his caste might be allowed to change caste, if approved by the High Council of his city, an approval usually contingent on his qualifications for the work of another caste and the willingness of the members of the new caste to accept him as a Caste Brother. ~Priest-Kings of Gor, chapter 9, pg 71

I tend to like conformity and realism in my Roleplay environment, You applaud the clown and then give him a pay raise- soon you will have a circus full of nothing but clowns.
All Sunday
SL Name: wannabeslave
Home Stone: Kaelus

Postby All Sunday » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:59 pm

There has to be a serious way to portray a an absurd character!

Let's say I take my panther girl to the woods with a sword tied to her belt... Imagine the drama! Im's all over questioning the sword! OMG! A sword on a panther!

So before iming me I would hope people would rp it and see what I'm doing with a sword. Maybe it's a treasure I found somewhere from a victim... maybe I am mocking the rarius as it wouldn't be too odd for a panther who could allow herself that.

Now what I do with the sword counts... it's heavy... I'm female and dratz nobody trained me in fencing. So I would lose and the sword would have not served me.

My panther becomes absurd when that sword becomes a weapon which can be used at the same level of men or the same precision of a dagger. That's when I should be questioned. To put it simply... I ruin the laws of physics within Gor (ok that sounds ridiculoud but help me out here).

I honestly think that going from a psychian with a sword to a psychian that goes rampage instead of following his job first is another thing... and like most absurdities in Gor and rp venues should be tested before mocking.
Hawt Sommer

Postby Hawt Sommer » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:33 pm

Alecks wrote:... and like most absurdities in Gor and rp venues should be tested before mocking.

That's what GE is for. It's the gorean absurdity testing ground. (Hands you a box of roller skates and a pack of gum)

:P
Charlotte
SL Name: Charlotte Milev

Postby Charlotte » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:11 pm

Alecks wrote:Let's say I take my panther girl to the woods with a sword tied to her belt... Imagine the drama! Im's all over questioning the sword! OMG! A sword on a panther!

Gods! If people knew this was an intentional 'storyline' thing instead of 'my character is so awesome' that'd be brilliant!
Men challenging her to bouts, her either not having the strength, or getting exhausted faster (presumably).
Or maybe she's carrying it round trying to return it to its owner, who she loves, lol.

I remember in a sim, sorry forgot it's name, one character had an IC campaign to eradicate slavery. The emancipation of women, or something. I never had the chance to RP with him, but it would've been brilliant to have an 'argument' with me arguing 'for' slavery and he 'against' it!
Never underestimate the power of the angry mod even if you are a trained fighter. -Vyl
All Sunday
SL Name: wannabeslave
Home Stone: Kaelus

Postby All Sunday » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:35 am

Hawk: I find GE absurd, the moment you need to stop playing by the book simply means to me you don't like the basic concept BTB. Seriously... prove me I'm wrong diffrently. There was a thread here about Absurd Storylines which makes me believe this is not only me.

Charlotte: I did try to make some "absurd" storylines. I even suggested a sleen to sneak in the baths and cause chaos or even convince a rarius to lend me his bow a few moments (I couldn't convince him) and see what damage I could do. Maybe one day I'll be able to make them work.
However the problem is indeed the "intentional" part as people get scared of any possible drama and just rather avoid you but in the end I thought it was agreed that anything should be played untill it becomes impossible to play.

Return to “Physicians”