Yummy
SL Name: Yummy Tamale
Role: Bond
Home Stone: IO
Owner: Ar Pee
AkA: Yummy

The Cost of Medical Care

Postby Yummy » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:29 pm

As Physicians, do you include billing into your roleplay? If so, what are the prices you charge for such things as pregnancy tests, medical exams, and potions?
FeorieFrimon
SL Name: Feorie Frimon

Re: The Cost of Medical Care

Postby FeorieFrimon » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:27 pm

Awesome question.

I have noticed a lot of sims are still really dated in the way they do this type of role play.

In many sims you, as a Physician, are part of this massive 'Physician Caste' collective. The city pays you, and therefore you offer your services free of charge as part of a service the city provides.

I have had the opportunity to role play in a few sims where physicians were allowed to be specialized; to find your own work so to speak. Physicians owned clinics that specialized in specific areas, like dentistry or veterinary medicine. I even knew physicians that were privately employed by Slaver Houses to provide medical treatment to their slaves.

Forgive my 'soap box-ery'.

I've charged a few coppers for simple tests; I think a slave exam was a silver tarsk back in old Ar.
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:13 am

It doesn't help that in the latest book (Conspirators) there is a quote that mentions how most physicians lived in poverty because of their Caste codes, which disencouraged them from charging anything for their medical services...
MarkyMarcus
SL Name: MarkyMarcus Resident
AkA: Marcus

Postby MarkyMarcus » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:22 pm

This brings up the question of the role of government in the Gorean setting, in the largely unexplored field of Gorean economics. I have not read any book since chronologically after players, but up to that point Norman barely elaborates on macro economics. Gorean cities seem to provide substantial services including public utilities and expensive scemes for defense on top of public health, education, fire safety, just to name a few.

How is this funded?

And just because someone lives by a vow of poverty or is not paid as a result of their profession does not mean they live in poverty. RL examples include living a religious life like catholic priests of the Middle Ages or upper class Romans who looked down on anyone who practiced a paid profession. They lived off of wealth, and did public service as a true service, though they almost always exploited their power.

I would say that most physicians live at least a life free from worry, and largely come from wealthier Gorean families.
Architeuthis
SL Name: ~

Postby Architeuthis » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:27 am

Socialized medicine in Gor. Physicians can reverse or halt aging, heal broken bones in days and even splice genes but they live in virtual poverty?

There ought to be an evil physician who creates a virus to wipe out the PK's and most of Gor, and the other physicians should race against time to stop it. Throw in a planet on the verge of civil war, food riots and anarchy and there you go. Has the makings of a Hollywood Blockbuster, yes?
Solaris
SL Name: Solaris Ghostraven

Postby Solaris » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:50 pm

"Perhaps," said she. "Have you other perfumes?"
My assistant, hopefully, lifted a vial.
"No," I hissed to him. "In an instant such a woman will see through such a scent."
"Let me smell it," said she.
"It is nothing, lady," I whined, "though among the highest born and most beautiful of the women of the Physicians it is much favored."
"Let me smell it," she said.
I removed the cork, and turned away my head, as though shamed.
She held it to her nose. "It stinks," she said.
Hastily I corked the vial and, angrily, thrust it back into the hand of my embarrassed assistant, who returned it to its place.
Hilda sat in a great curule chair, carved with the sign of Scagnar, a serpent-ship, seen frontally. On each post of the chair, carved, was the head of a snarling sleen. She smiled, coldly.
I reached for another vial. She wore rich green velvet, closed high about her neck, trimmed with gold.
She took the next vial, which I had opened for her. "No," she said, handing it back to me.
Her hair, long, was braided. It was tied with golden string.
"I had no understanding," said she, "that the wares of Ar were so inferior."

Marauders of Gor Book 9 Pages 111 - 115 (Part of the larger scene that takes place with Hilda that Haughty)

So not ALL Physicians were poor, yet again Norman contradicts himself, and the Green Cross of do gooders that like to portray the Caste in SL need to think about that. :mrgreen:
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:29 pm

I charge for everything...absolutely everything.

Your pricing should be dependent on the market. If you are in a large city then you can be the highly sought after member of the caste that can charge a silver tarsks for services but that wouldn't work in a village setting. You can also be the impoverished sidekick to a slaver living off coppers for slave exams.

I've even charged a gold tarn for poison, so your prices are only dependent on your imagination assuming you have an understanding of gorean currency and it fits the storyline you have created. Most physicians in SL Gor have no storyline. They just show up in the infirmary.

Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler:
Lady Razi couldn’t help her own laughter now. It was one part nervous release and another part guilty admission. Who could she possibly fool? As the wine bottle was placed on the counter between them she stared at it while speaking, “Care to have a drink with me?” It was a bad joke, but already she was reaching for her coin purse, ‘How much?”

Kait laughs at the woman’s attempt at humor but it doesn’t ring quite true thanks to an added hollowness as memories of her last dosing of the powerful liquid return unbidden. “I have no need of the stuff Lady as it works just as well unsweetened as sweetened.” Looking away for a moment until she marshaled her features back into the practiced placid smile of proprietor for a customer she turns their discussion to coin, “Seven copper tarsk should cover it Lady Stela. I wish you well in your pursuits and I fully vouch for its effectiveness. The base wine is sold to some of the most discriminant slave houses here in Ar.”
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Exploring SL - Ann Owiti
Kait
Teslik & Sip Root Gorean Medical Info
Aphris
SL Name: Aphris Myoo
Role: Yearkeeper & Trader
Home Stone: Kataii

Postby Aphris » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:12 pm

Ask my Health Insurance they deal all.
They even have a clausule for treating the whip wounds I inflict on slaves.
She smiled. "I have grown fond of the smell of bosk," said she. Kamchak smiled. He held his hand to the girl. "Ride with me, Aphris of Turia," said Kamchak of the Tuchuks. Image
mariareese
SL Name: maria

Postby mariareese » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:39 am

Most of doctor includes role-play! I think pregnancy tests costs depends on what type of test and where you get it done. Most of common type of test is a home pregnancy test, and we can easily use this type of test from a few days before your period is due and you can use it as far into pregnancy as you will require to use it.
Minion
Site Admin
SL Name: Minion One

Postby Minion » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:54 am

Hello,

This thread is about your role play character charging for his or her services, not about real world medical care. Please remain on topic. Thank you.

Minion One

Return to “Physicians”