InWorldz - A new hope?

A forum to discuss the many different viewers for SL.
Elle Couerblanc
SL Name: Elle

Re: InWorldz - A new hope?

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:11 pm

Kaitlin wrote:
Elle Couerblanc wrote:If they aren't getting the return on their investment why should they stay? Bottom line - they need people there actively buying their products to justify the reason for being there.

Long term I agree. Short term, I can see an opportunity and since the cost isn't significant assuming the technology glitches are minimal then I don't think you need a slew of players first. Content and a viable platform will attract players. It is a chicken and egg kind of thing and those that get in early will benefit. The "lets wait and see" type won't see the same returns.

What I see happening is the creators forgetting about the stores they have there and not updating them if they don't have active buyers - kind of like the satellite shops they have on shopping sims etc. OR what always seems to kill it for the fashionistas is some sort drama - event drama, so and so hurt my feelings drama and a group leaves that way.
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Visit me at Elle's World http://ellecouerblanc.com/
Architeuthis
SL Name: ~

Postby Architeuthis » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:13 pm

InWorldz uses Bullet physics whereas SL uses Havok. So things don't behave exactly the same between the two platforms. I don't know how difficult making one work with the other is because I don't do scripting.

Mesh is another story--if you have the rig in Maya, Blender etc. you can move it anywhere. With free uploads on mesh etc. it makes it very easy to do so.
Cassie
SL Name: Isabeus

Postby Cassie » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:47 pm

I had a hope about based on the fact that primarily it keeps uploads free so based on the sim cost is would allow an entrance.

The only arrow on it's quiver right now seems Mesh Deformer for the fashion aficionados.
I suppose if the majority of creators moved a good portion base could take into consideration.
Gor is surely not something that can be moved around as easily, I believe that strongly.

While fashion whores and designer see new possibilities and do look a sort of caring way to the new inventory I know rpers... goreans mostly, would see a migration as a hindrance. I think the gorean community has some of the oldest people and change ain't never taken lightly.

But who knows... if the community is big enough to start, if they keep prices lower over there one could look at it seriously.
Godless heathens always waltz on the sky.
Architeuthis

Postby Architeuthis » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:54 pm

If one could move the items between InWorldz and SL then it would be quite revolutionary because then shop owners could rent sims and upload and sell their creations for a fraction of the cost compared to SL. But I don't think this is currently possible, at least not legally, and the blood suckers at SL charge you a fee to import the meshes and textures.
Elle Couerblanc
SL Name: Elle

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:46 pm

Blackwolf wrote:If one could move the items between InWorldz and SL then it would be quite revolutionary because then shop owners could rent sims and upload and sell their creations for a fraction of the cost compared to SL. But I don't think this is currently possible, at least not legally, and the blood suckers at SL charge you a fee to import the meshes and textures.

There are a couple of test regions devoted to testing the use of Second Inventory in InWorldz. Not sure what that all means though but I would imagine it would only pull content where you are both the creator and owner. This of course would not filter out any copybotted content though.

I do recall a few years back regarding an exploit some botters found that allowed them to upload animations to Open Sim worlds. Hopefully that has been fixed though.

In terms of InWorldz for Gor? I only see it happening in the event of a mass exodus of mainstream SLers to Inworldz.
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Visit me at Elle's World http://ellecouerblanc.com/
Hawt Sommer

Postby Hawt Sommer » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:50 pm

Physics Engine Testing Results

when idle/deactivated:
bullet: stepSim 0.8 ms (seems quite high for a completely idle scene ?)
havok: 0.01something ms

when stuff is dragged a little so the island is alive:
bullet: stepSim 3.1 - 3.8 ms
havok: <0.9 ms

Bullet is not a good choice when considering combat or stability by the looks of it.

Strike two on InWorldz in my opinion.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:48 pm

They probably didn't opt for Havoc because of the costs involved.

Anyway... from what I have been reading above, it appears that this InWorldz doesn't offer anything new or better than SL does. Same as with previous copies of SL. The only reason to go there would be the land price difference, really. Which is not a major consideration for those players that do not rent sims or large parts of sims (so, most players). Therefore, RP-ers have no incentive to move there, unless many RP-sims do.

And while sim-owners are important to RP-ers in SL, the players are perhaps even more important to the owners of RP-sims (especially in venues like Gor). So, RP-sim owners have a major incentive to stay in SL. Unless the RP-ers want to move there as well, for which they have no reason, unless they need to because the people offering RP-sims do.

Ergo, RP-ers and RP-sim owners will stay in SL.

I don't think there will be a major emigration from SL until a competitor offers something 'better' to non-land-owning users. Price competition for land only is just not enough.
Cassie
SL Name: Isabeus

Postby Cassie » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:12 pm

I know prices and mesh deformer are not enough. Honestly I would not know about the issue revolving combat possibilities. Sure scripting is a bit different there but seem applicable... for sure considering the basis it has.

I have to assume this has to with Linden's latest TOS about copyright that has made... at least some creators, leave SL.

This platform has potential but does not offer something BREATH TAKING enough.

The inventory in SL issue for me is small and mostly limited to the animations and poses I have accumulated over the years, the rest become inevitably absolute.

Since once can transfer Lindens to Inworldz I suppose there is a sort of transfer possibility that if one could link the two platform would make migration not an issue for even rpers.

We'll see. I am always looking forward to some decent competition on all accounts. Improves quality and prices... ne?
Godless heathens always waltz on the sky.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:24 pm

I don't think LL has been dropping any prices, lately. I think they are planning to keep them as-is, for now. And the reasoning would make sense. A drop in prices will cut into their profits directly. And it won't get them more users. (No one is going to rush to SL that hasn't already, even if they should decide to half their prices). And the threat of people moving to InWorldz? Well, they would have to lower their prices by more than half to really compete. And even IF they lose half-their users that way, it probably makes more sense, profit-wise, to lose half of them than to half their prices (which would probably erase their profits).

They are going to milk this cow until it stops giving milk. Or that is my impression.
Architeuthis

Postby Architeuthis » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:43 pm

I don't know first hand the cost difference between Havok and Bullet but from what friends who are more knowledgeable than me have said, the OpenSim platform (Kitely, InWorldz etc) hasn't adopted Havok because it is supposedly quite pricey.

Bullet also, unlike Havok, is open source. It seems to be pretty fast in games like GTA IV, but still, from what I have been told, Havok is and continues to be the industry standard.

Return to “Viewers”