InWorldz - A new hope?

A forum to discuss the many different viewers for SL.
User avatar
Cassie
Posts: 259
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 1:09 am
SL Name: Isabeus

InWorldz - A new hope?

Postby Cassie » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:29 am

Following a blogger she showed some information about something that looked like SL: http://inworldz.com/

I registered and downloaded the viewer and... it's actually SL just less expensive.
Well uploads are free and sims are 45.000 for 75$ a month. Also they are inserting mesh and mesh deformer.

You can link your avatar's Linden and use them also in Inworld through what would seem their Marketplace inBiz https://shop.theinbiz.com/index.php

So far I found a sim with Redgrave and VISTA but the same blogger has listed a 2 sim combination of SL creators who are setting up their SL creations.

For more info check her blog: http://strawberrysingh.com/

What you people think? Could be a new era? The kick in the nuts for Linden Labs to lower their sim costs?
Godless heathens always waltz on the sky.
User avatar
Anarch Allegiere
Posts: 1000
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:01 am
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Re: InWorldz - A new hope?

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:40 am

These things come along every once in a while.

Truth is that most people don't want to go to a place where they've to buy everything new again, to refill their inventory. 99,9% of the people don't really care that the sim owners might have to pay much less in these new platforms, but much more that they need to spend money on getting new avatars again.

Most often too then there is the problem of not enough content being transferred over. Especially gorean stuff doesn't seem to come over, mostly just urbanwear products.

Empty sims...

I think there are many that try to copy the success of Second Life, but there is this saying in the business world: "Copies never are as good as the original."
User avatar
Architeuthis
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:09 pm
SL Name: ~

Re: InWorldz - A new hope?

Postby Architeuthis » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:10 am

InWorldz, OS Grid, Kitely etc. are all different grids. It is not the same as SL though it's close. The physics engine, for example, is different, so scripts written for SL may not work in that environment. Some grids allow you to take your items to other grids (SL does not). The pricing certainly is attractive compared to SL. In Kitely for example you can get a 16 sim mega region with 1.6 million prims for $100 USD per month. Or you could host sims on your PC for free and connect them to OS Grid. The problems currently are the lack of traffic and the lack of quality items for gamers to use (clothing etc) compared to SL. Although it's just a matter of time before the other grids catch up. $300 USD per month for a sim in SL is outrageous in today's marketplace.
Hawt Sommer

Re: InWorldz - A new hope?

Postby Hawt Sommer » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:55 am

"The Gorean Grid"


Just say "No"

:|
User avatar
Architeuthis
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:09 pm
SL Name: ~

Re: InWorldz - A new hope?

Postby Architeuthis » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:05 am

There was a grid solely dedicated to Gor but it folded. The technology wasn't in place to support it at the time (no GM, no cool clothes, no collars, no AO, no Tarns, no Primus/LR/EZ = no Gor). Perhaps once the tech catches up things will be different as the price of sims on other grids is certainly low enough where it would mitigate the financial risk.
User avatar
Kaitlin
Posts: 3057
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:16 pm
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM
Contact:

Re: InWorldz - A new hope?

Postby Kaitlin » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:12 am

Based on the list of creators who are on board I think it is a viable option as a future alternative to SL in general and other RP genres. I think I still have an account I created quite some time ago so I'm going to give it a whirl.

When it comes to Gor, I see it being a complete failure. Imagine twice as many sim owners that have to spend half as much popping out gor sims left and right that look nothing like the genre with only 5 people in attendance. Not my cup of tea. It reminds me of the migration to HTML from mIrc. Nothing good came of it.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
User avatar
Elle Couerblanc
Posts: 619
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:55 am
SL Name: Elle

Re: InWorldz - A new hope?

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:15 pm

At least once a year a group of designers get together and announce "Let's go to Inworldz everybody!" Then a few months later then give up on the venture and move on.

Basically it will be the same content they offer in SL. The question remains, though, will they have the traffic to justify the cost. It looks nice and inexpensive, but if people aren't buying it's not worth it.

Although, I do plan on checking it out to see what they are up too. I have an account there already during one grand announcement a couple years back.
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Visit me at Elle's World http://ellecouerblanc.com/
User avatar
Kaitlin
Posts: 3057
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:16 pm
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM
Contact:

Re: InWorldz - A new hope?

Postby Kaitlin » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:34 pm

Elle Couerblanc wrote:At least once a year a group of designers get together and announce "Let's go to Inworldz everybody!" Then a few months later then give up on the venture and move on.

Basically it will be the same content they offer in SL. The question remains, though, will they have the traffic to justify the cost. It looks nice and inexpensive, but if people aren't buying it's not worth it.

Although, I do plan on checking it out to see what they are up too. I have an account there already during one grand announcement a couple years back.


Given the similarities of the technology and the lower cost of a sim spread over a series of creators why would there be a significant cost? I also think that mesh may be a game changer because users are already replacing portions of their inventory. Maybe I'm missing some $$ in the equation.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
User avatar
Elle Couerblanc
Posts: 619
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:55 am
SL Name: Elle

Re: InWorldz - A new hope?

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:55 pm

Kaitlin wrote:
Elle Couerblanc wrote:At least once a year a group of designers get together and announce "Let's go to Inworldz everybody!" Then a few months later then give up on the venture and move on.

Basically it will be the same content they offer in SL. The question remains, though, will they have the traffic to justify the cost. It looks nice and inexpensive, but if people aren't buying it's not worth it.

Although, I do plan on checking it out to see what they are up too. I have an account there already during one grand announcement a couple years back.


Given the similarities of the technology and the lower cost of a sim spread over a series of creators why would there be a significant cost? I also think that mesh may be a game changer because users are already replacing portions of their inventory. Maybe I'm missing some $$ in the equation.


I didn't say significant. I said a cost - time, money for rent/tier, cost of uploads etc. Hell, even if it costs only 5 bucks a month to rent but takes up hours of my time to do what I need to do to make the store viable, that to me is a cost. If they aren't getting the return on their investment why should they stay? Bottom line - they need people there actively buying their products to justify the reason for being there.

Edited to add: I just found out it that it will be a bit before the sims open. Apparently there are some issues with scripting in terms of the differences between SL and Inworldz.
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Visit me at Elle's World http://ellecouerblanc.com/
User avatar
Kaitlin
Posts: 3057
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:16 pm
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM
Contact:

Re: InWorldz - A new hope?

Postby Kaitlin » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:05 pm

Elle Couerblanc wrote:If they aren't getting the return on their investment why should they stay? Bottom line - they need people there actively buying their products to justify the reason for being there.


Long term I agree. Short term, I can see an opportunity and since the cost isn't significant assuming the technology glitches are minimal then I don't think you need a slew of players first. Content and a viable platform will attract players. It is a chicken and egg kind of thing and those that get in early will benefit. The "lets wait and see" type won't see the same returns.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait

Return to “Viewers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest