How Much Mesh Is In your Closet?

A forum to discuss the many different viewers for SL.

How much mesh is in your closet?

Mesh is out? I don't own a single outfit - Female
7%
Mesh is out? I don't own a single outfit - Female
7%
Mesh is out? I don't own a single outfit - Male
11%
Mesh is out? I don't own a single outfit - Male
11%
I have hair or shoes - Female
5%
I have hair or shoes - Female
5%
I have hair or shoes - Male
No votes
I have hair or shoes - Male
No votes
I have clothing only - Female
2%
I have clothing only - Female
2%
I have clothing only - Male
No votes
I have clothing only - Male
No votes
I've got it all but I'm not pleased - Female
5%
I've got it all but I'm not pleased - Female
5%
I've got it all but I'm not pleased - Male
No votes
I've got it all but I'm not pleased - Male
No votes
I've got it all and I'm buying more and more - Female
18%
I've got it all and I'm buying more and more - Female
18%
I've got it all and I'm buying more and more - Male
2%
I've got it all and I'm buying more and more - Male
2%

Total votes: 44
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Re: How Much Mesh Is In your Closet?

Postby Kaitlin » Thu May 10, 2012 9:13 am

Echo wrote:I do not think I own a single piece of mesh yet. Not avoiding them, just I have not seen anything I need that happens to be in mesh yet.
Though based upon what I am seeing on this thread it is a huge step backward for SL.
The biggest thing I love in SL is that everything layers and you are a body under those clothes. So if you got a dress slit to your navel that is YOUR skin showing not the skin they had to put in like in most MMO's.
The selling point to mesh to me was it was supposed to follow the movements of the body under it instead of glitching through like prim wear. Seems this is sadly untrue. :thumbdown:

??? Not sure where you got that from the thread. With an alpha texture or slight adjustments to your shape to fit you don't see anything showing through. It also moves with the body well with the exception of extreme actions such as splitting of the legs widely or severe bending at the waist.

Maybe I misunderstood your comment but I can honestly say that "good mesh" is the ideal choice in every occasion over previous technologies used.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
Ala
SL Name: Ala
Caste: Puddin' Pop!
Role: Bondchuk
Home Stone: His feet
Owner: da Jarl dude

Postby Ala » Fri May 11, 2012 12:35 am

So my husband was concerned that I wasn't getting the full Sl experience and suggested I buy a demo mesh for Ala. Which I duely did. See I can obey :roll: :o :lol:

Even with the alpha layer on and wearing the largest size, I will have tweek Ala's shape. And my AO did NOT work either...so either I am doing something wrong (quite likely) or Ala is just bootilicious for mesh. Which quite frankly cuts out all but one of my avies I think :( .

Still I will have a bit more of a play when I get some time to. Maybe i can work something that covers dat ass :P :shifty:
Capture the mind ~ all else will follow.

I am not a bitch ~ I just have a low tolerance for bullshit
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Postby Tamar Luminos » Fri May 11, 2012 7:55 am

I do not think I own a single piece of mesh yet. Not avoiding them, just I have not seen anything I need that happens to be in mesh yet.
Though based upon what I am seeing on this thread it is a huge step backward for SL.
The biggest thing I love in SL is that everything layers and you are a body under those clothes. So if you got a dress slit to your navel that is YOUR skin showing not the skin they had to put in like in most MMO's.
The selling point to mesh to me was it was supposed to follow the movements of the body under it instead of glitching through like prim wear. Seems this is sadly untrue. :thumbdown:

Yeah, def wear the alpha layer (unless you want to do major shape tweaking). It's not a "skin" it makes whatever part of your body it covers invisible so the mesh lays smoothly on your body without bits of you poking through. It solves the "poking through" problem and makes things look nice.

Also, there's alpha layers that are cut to the line of the clothing, the best designers fix it so that if you are wearing a low cut shirt- the alpha layer only makes the parts of your body under the shirt invis, leaving your skin showing through the deep v in the front, for example. I've got a nice cold logic shirt that does just that and though I had to bump my boobs down a bit to fit, it looks lovely and I'm thoroughly enjoying all my mesh stuff from there.

Also- partial mesh items are pretty awesome as well. My new favorite miniskirt is partial mesh. Instead of that damned skirt prim, which I despise and can never get to look right on my av's plushy ass, you get a mesh skirt prim, which lays smooth, doesn't need any adjusting (even for my curvy girl), and looks fantastic, moving with the av like cloth. I've never been able to wear skirts/dresses well on this av, they've never looked right or been flattering to the shape, but the mesh skirts and partial mesh skirts and dresses I'm finding are perfect for my shape and I've loving it!

I'm not seeing a lot of quality mesh stuff for Gor, clothing-wise yet, so there's a market to be jumped on for sure.
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
Victor.
SL Name: Victor Klavinham
Role: Mister Internet
Home Stone: SalernuM
Owner: V for VESSEL

Postby Victor. » Fri May 11, 2012 8:05 am

Pretty sure I got every possible mesh item suitable for Gor and then some. Because I like what content creators do with it - some fits flawlessly, other stuff drives me insane.

I think there should be an obligatory mantra for mesh builders that's something along the lines of "I gotta build INDIVIDUAL parts" - nothing that pisses me off more than say you got a shirt with a vest - and there's a SHADOW on that shirt from the vest on it. So I can't use the god damn shirt on its own, cause I'd have that freaking shade there. Fuck that. If you build mesh - pretty please with tons of sugar on top - don't build it rigidly. Make sure people can still match and mix - otherwise you'll have everyone run around with that new mesh item that's designed best at that current time.

And I feel we have to establish a new definition of "curvy" cause I've seen your beanstalk-avatars, Ladies. Curvy my ass! :roll:
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft. // Jealousy is a passion, seeking zealously what causes suffering. Franz Grillparzer
Harlequin
SL Name: Harlequin Salome
Caste: Scripter
Role: Guy Who Stares In Confusion
Home Stone: Blender, mostly.

Postby Harlequin » Fri May 11, 2012 9:41 am

All mesh for me, thank you. THe complaints of fitting things and related really only matter if you get it from a place that doesn't offer a variety of different sizes, etc.
Example being I now have a few suits from Horenbeek that came with a mind-bending number of sizes... and in each case I found one set that fit juuuuust perfect.

I'm at the point now where I'm looking into a mesh AV so that I can finally look right, instead of having one of our funny shaped AV skulls (Second Life avatar skulls are completely inaccurate to real ones, you see.) Just waiting til t-shirts and pants are more common in mesh for men.

Why am I such a huge fan? Armor. Mesh armour just straight up LOOKS better. When someone has a clunky piece by piece set, and I wear something that doesn't bend and cut into itself, the difference is just blatently obvious, I fear.
There used to be a gif here. It was awesome. But it's gone now.
Victor.
SL Name: Victor Klavinham
Role: Mister Internet
Home Stone: SalernuM
Owner: V for VESSEL

Postby Victor. » Fri May 11, 2012 12:06 pm

Looked into Horo(is that it?) avatars a while ago - pretty much the only human mesh avatars out there so far - and they look quite awesome actually. But so far, I am afraid clothes etc. just don't fit them - and that's what kept me from buying one, as it said exactly that in the reviews I think.

Kal Rau has some pretty decent leisure wear of mesh and there are more pants out there than I care to list. Should satisfy all your urban urges.
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft. // Jealousy is a passion, seeking zealously what causes suffering. Franz Grillparzer
Elle Couerblanc
SL Name: Elle

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Fri May 11, 2012 3:06 pm

I have really not been happy with mesh and it might have to do with my avatar shape not being so uniform. I have yet to be able to fit into standard sizes without looking significantly smaller. I might try separates vs dresses though and see if that helps.
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Visit me at Elle's World http://ellecouerblanc.com/
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Fri May 11, 2012 10:43 pm

Ok now the one thing I LOVE are my SLink Mesh feet. For a long time I wore the "tip toe" version because the "flat feet" looked horrible when slave dancing...like blocks on your ankles. All that has changed with the mesh version of the "flat feet". I am definitely loving mesh more and more.

They and other items I've bought came with some interesting information on standard sizing that I'll include here in a spoiler. It might help a bit with the tweaking.

Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler:
We are Minnu Palen & Thora Charron (of LeLutka), Siddean Munro (of SLink), Elie & Anouk Spot (of Mon Tissu) and Jaden Celoe & Shay Sibrian (of Celoe). With the rising popularity of rigged mesh clothing and accessories, we have discovered that it is difficult for shoppers to be sure that designers are creating mesh clothing in sizes that will suit their avatar shapes. Likewise, it is impossible for designers to know how to size their rigged mesh clothing because of the extremely wide range of shapes used in Second Life. In response, we have developed a solution: the Standard Sizing system. The following questions and answers will inform you about the details of this system and hopefully encourage designers to implement it and consumers to take advantage of it.

The following questions are answered below:
- What is Standard Sizing?
- What is the purpose of Standard Sizing?
- How do you know the Standard-Sized shapes are accurate?
- Where are XL and XXL?
- Won't we look like a bunch of clones if we're all using the same 5 shapes?
- Where can I get these shapes and how much do they cost?
- What if my own personal avatar size doesn't match one of the Standard Sizes?
- I am a creator. How do I make use of the Standard-Sized shapes, and how do I let my customers know I am using Standard Sizing?
- How do I let my customers know what Standard Sizing is?
- I create and sell shapes. Can I use the Standard-Sized shapes as a base for shapes that I sell?
(At the very bottom you will find the Standard Sizing measurements.)

- What is Standard Sizing?
Standard Sizing is a system created to standardize avatar shapes so that rigged mesh clothing can be created to fit most adult human female avatars and so that consumers will be able to objectively identify their own avatar with one of the Standard Sizes, enabling them to comfortably purchase rigged mesh clothing and accessories. We have created a group of 5 shapes representing the 5 most common adult human female avatar sizes in Second Life: Extra Extra Small (XXS), Extra Small (XS), Small (S), Medium (M), and Large (L).

- What is the purpose of Standard Sizing?
Creators and shoppers would benefit greatly from having a common language to communicate about sizing of garments and accessories for avatars. As a consumer, you can determine which Standard Size is closest to your favorite shape and buy clothing in that size. As a creator, you can fit your designs to the Standard Sizes, guaranteeing that they will fit a wide range of customer shapes.

- How do you know the Standard-Sized shapes are accurate?
The numbers we used to create the 5 Standard-Sized shapes were calculated using the results of a survey of over 500 adult human female avatars. The survey information focused on the following measurements: Body Fat, Torso Muscle, Breast Size, Love Handles, Belly Size, Leg Muscle, Butt Size, and Saddle Bags. Because rigged mesh responds to variations in Heights (including Height, Torso Length, and Leg Length) and Widths (including Body Thickness, Shoulder Width, Hip Width, etc.) on its own, these measurements were not included in the survey.

- Where are XL and XXL?
Based on our survey results, very few users identify their avatar shapes as XL or XXL. Limiting our sizes to XXS-L should make for an easier transition into widespread use of the Standard Sizing system. If a designer wanted to create clothing larger than Standard L, they absolutely could.

- Won't we look like a bunch of clones if we're all using the same 5 shapes?
Being able to express your individual personality and style through a unique avatar is one of the foundations of Second Life. We do not want to limit that any more than is necessary to provide a basic reference point for avatar sizing. Of the dozens of measurements that make up each person's shape, only 8 of them are relevant to each of the 5 Standard Sizes. Even those 8 can be tweaked and still fit that size. This allows a person to largely preserve their original shape, with the added benefit of knowing their Standard Size, and being able to shop comfortably for rigged mesh clothing.

- Where can I get these shapes and how much do they cost?
You can download all 5 of the Standard-Sized shapes for free from the Marketplace here: ( https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/100141 ). They are full permissions, so you are free to modify them or use the numbers as you please. However, note that making changes to the following measurements may compromise the way Standard-Sized rigged mesh garments fit you: Body Fat, Torso Muscle, Breast Size, Love Handles, Belly Size, Leg Muscle, Butt Size, & Saddle Bags (We recommend that these measurements be changed only slightly, if at all).

- What if my own personal avatar size doesn't match one of the Standard Sizes?
Your shape will most likely fit into one of the Standard Size categories. Since all rigged mesh clothing will probably include alpha bases, minor size variations of the 8 measurements listed previously will be will hidden, along with any glitching due to posing or animating. If this is not the case, you may want to modify your shape so that clothing fitted for a Standard Size will also fit you.

- I am a creator. How do I make use of the Standard-Sized shapes, and how do I let my customers know I am using Standard Sizing?
You can download the 3d files here ( http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6003454/Standar ... 0sizes.zip ). Once you load the Standard-Sized shapes into your 3d programs, you can build your clothing around them. Included in your download is an icon that represents your use of Standard Sizing. You can display this icon in your store, on your vendors, in your blog, etc. Hopefully, as Standard Sizing becomes more widely used, this icon will be easily recognized in the Second Life community. You can also have your store listed in the directory of shops offering Standard Sizing by filling out the form under "Stores/Creators", found here: http://bloggingsecondlife.wordpress.com/ . Be sure to check the boxes next to Standard Sizing and Mesh.

- How do I let my customers know what Standard Sizing is?
Feel free to distribute the information provided here any way you'd like!

- I create and sell shapes. Can I use the Standard-Sized shapes as a base for shapes that I sell?
Yes.

A directory of shops offering Standard Sizing can be found here: http://bloggingsecondlife.wordpress.com/?page_id=1363

If you have any questions or comments please join the in-world group "Standard Sizing System". This is a discussion group for Standard Sizing issues where you're free to voice any concerns or suggestions via chat.

Below you will find measurements for each of the 5 Standard-Sized shapes:

-XXS
Body Fat: 0
Torso Muscle: 21
Breast Size: 32
Love Handles: 22
Belly Size: 0
Leg Muscle: 40
Butt Size: 24
Saddle Bags: 22

-XS
Body Fat: 5
Torso Muscle: 31
Breast Size: 48
Love Handles: 25
Belly Size: 2
Leg Muscle: 45
Butt Size: 34
Saddle Bags: 30

-S
Body Fat: 7
Torso Muscle: 35
Breast Size: 52
Love Handles: 28
Belly Size: 3
Leg Muscle: 50
Butt Size: 38
Saddle Bags: 33

-M
Body Fat: 11
Torso Muscle: 38
Breast Size: 58
Love Handles: 31
Belly Size: 6
Leg Muscle: 56
Butt Size: 44
Saddle Bags: 36

-L
Body Fat: 24
Torso Muscle: 48
Breast Size: 71
Love Handles: 39
Belly Size: 14
Leg Muscle: 69
Butt Size: 62
Saddle Bags: 45
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
Consuelo
SL Name: Consuelo Albanese
Role: Kajira

Postby Consuelo » Mon May 14, 2012 10:29 am

None... as a slave player I see no reason to waste limited Linden$ since I seldome wear much clothing, and the few mesh hair pieces I've demoed look plastic.
"Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things."
Steven Tyler
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Postby Tantus » Thu May 24, 2012 11:37 am

Victor. wrote:And I feel we have to establish a new definition of "curvy" cause I've seen your beanstalk-avatars, Ladies. Curvy my ass! :roll:

Is that what you call raunzing? :o.O:

Return to “Viewers”