How Much Mesh Is In your Closet?

A forum to discuss the many different viewers for SL.

How much mesh is in your closet?

Mesh is out? I don't own a single outfit - Female
7%
Mesh is out? I don't own a single outfit - Female
7%
Mesh is out? I don't own a single outfit - Male
11%
Mesh is out? I don't own a single outfit - Male
11%
I have hair or shoes - Female
5%
I have hair or shoes - Female
5%
I have hair or shoes - Male
No votes
I have hair or shoes - Male
No votes
I have clothing only - Female
2%
I have clothing only - Female
2%
I have clothing only - Male
No votes
I have clothing only - Male
No votes
I've got it all but I'm not pleased - Female
5%
I've got it all but I'm not pleased - Female
5%
I've got it all but I'm not pleased - Male
No votes
I've got it all but I'm not pleased - Male
No votes
I've got it all and I'm buying more and more - Female
18%
I've got it all and I'm buying more and more - Female
18%
I've got it all and I'm buying more and more - Male
2%
I've got it all and I'm buying more and more - Male
2%

Total votes: 44
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

How Much Mesh Is In your Closet?

Postby Kaitlin » Wed May 09, 2012 2:38 pm

I was shopping for a few things today and I realized I was limiting my choices to mesh items despite having plenty of favorites from the past in the traditional offerings. I took a look at my recent purchases over the last few months and sure enough...clothing, hair and even shoes of the mesh variety dominated.

How much mesh is in your closet?
Are you slowly transitioning or still not happy with what is offered by creators?

And while I'm on the topic...do you create versions of your shape to "fit" the items or do you strictly use the alpha texture? I find I have gotten in the habit of making a copy of my shape to tweak a bit then saving it in my mesh clothing folder with the item so I can avoid the "blank" body underneath. Is that wrong? Should I always use the alpha?
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
Glaucon

Re: How Much Mesh Is In your Closet?

Postby Glaucon » Wed May 09, 2012 3:07 pm

Nothing mesh in my closet.

My attitude towards mesh: great if people can do fun things with it in terms of builds and hair and feet and what not, but... I hear a lot of complaints about the regular mesh clothing. A lot of folks (women, mostly, really, but some guys too) strongly resent the fact that it cannot be fitted, that they are supposed to alter their shape to standard (usually stick-thin) sizes to fit the dresses and such. That doesn't seem to be in keeping with the spirit of SL (the whole be who you want to be, create a unique look-thing).

Also, a male complaint: Someone I know (not me, obviously, a 'friend') finds it a shame that, when perv-camming underneath girls wearing skirts or dresses to... ah... admire the texture of their underwear, he now sees nothing, because the mesh clothing requires alpha textures to make the body underneath disappear or it will 'stick through' the clothing. That's not FAIR! :o :$%&#!:

I think they ought to develop mesh a bit further, to remove these problems.
Frevet

Postby Frevet » Wed May 09, 2012 3:13 pm

I have tons and tons of mesh by now and the outfits have gotten -really- good. Certain creators (Centipede, the fallen, Snatched, celoe, cold logic, coco, chronokit, amerie, spirit store, maitreya, mon tissu, elikatira, sometimes wasabi pills, truth, lelutka and magika and so many more) do a really good job at it. I love it!!

My avi is short and rather curvy. I -never- have a hard time finding one size of the five that are usually offered that fits her well.
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Wed May 09, 2012 3:21 pm

Glaucon wrote:Nothing mesh in my closet.

My attitude towards mesh: great if people can do fun things with it in terms of builds and hair and feet and what not, but... I hear a lot of complaints about the regular mesh clothing. A lot of folks (women, mostly, really, but some guys too) strongly resent the fact that it cannot be fitted, that they are supposed to alter their shape to standard (usually stick-thin) sizes to fit the dresses and such. That doesn't seem to be in keeping with the spirit of SL (the whole be who you want to be, create a unique look-thing).

Also, a male complaint: Someone I know (not me, obviously, a 'friend') finds it a shame that, when perv-camming underneath girls wearing skirts or dresses to... ah... admire the texture of their underwear, he now sees nothing, because the mesh clothing requires alpha textures to make the body underneath disappear or it will 'stick through' the clothing. That's not FAIR! :o :$%&#!:

I think they ought to develop mesh a bit further, to remove these problems.

I actually hate alpha textures. Maybe I'm not supposed to but I just tweak my sliders a few notches to fit so I have a body under there. The blank creeps me out a little and I always wonder what it would look like if the mesh didn't show up. I'd prefer naked to zeroed out.

I am also a pretty curvy/thick girl on my slave avatar and the L or XL always seems to fit well so sizes aren't just limited to the skinny.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Wed May 09, 2012 3:44 pm

Im not very pleased with meshes. I tried tons of hairs, it's very frustrating because it's impossible to re-position them. Also, depending the head movements, the texture can look just weird.

For the skirts, it's worst. If your avatar crosses the legs, erm... Some sitting positions deform totally the meshes. And of course, the textures are deformed as well.

Meshes are ok for short skirts, but for the long ones, especially the full skirts, boaf boaf....

And yes, the alphas....
Ala
SL Name: Ala
Caste: Puddin' Pop!
Role: Bondchuk
Home Stone: His feet
Owner: da Jarl dude

Postby Ala » Wed May 09, 2012 5:34 pm

Mesh hmmm :problem: :eh: :hrm: ummmmmm well...

NONE!!!

:hiding:
Capture the mind ~ all else will follow.

I am not a bitch ~ I just have a low tolerance for bullshit

Postby ... » Wed May 09, 2012 6:06 pm

Really depends on the item and the genre I'm playing. I have a shit-ton of mesh for non-Gor genres, but I don't find much that's fitting for Gor. I do like mesh down-do's, particularly ones that have a ponytail or braid, because it stops that annoying "hair in your tit" syndrome.

I haven't found a pair of mesh pants yet that didn't make it look like you could park a truck between my thighs.

As for fitting - really depends. If I can keep the 'curvy' look I like for most of my characters and tweak a little, I will. But mostly I'll use alphas and 'curvy' sizes.
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Postby Tamar Luminos » Wed May 09, 2012 8:38 pm

I love mesh everything. I've seen some really, really nice stuff in all the categories mentioned. And some really bad. LOL But it's usually easy to tell the difference before buying. I try to make sure they have multiple sizes included, and an alpha layer.

I -thought- I'd hate mesh, have to alter my shape and didn't want to do that, but surprisingly, despite having a thick, curvy shape with plenty of junk in the trunk and the hood, I really haven't had to do much more than a couple of minor slider tweaks, and then only for maybe 2 things.

I am definitely a fan of mesh, and it's probably 90% of what I buy now. In most cases, mesh looks a lot better than textures/sculpties (if it's a good mesh designer like the ones Frevet named.)
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
Caranda
SL Name: Caranda Schreiner
Role: slave
Owner: Brigette Wade

Postby Caranda » Thu May 10, 2012 5:39 am

I have a couple of items of mesh clothing and I am pleased with the look.

I was also pleasantly surprised to discover that my rather curvy and shortish avie fitted into one of the standard sizes (L or XL, can't remember) with almost no tweaking required.

What does put me off wearing it is that a lot of people still don't have mesh viewers and apparently they either don't see the mesh clothing at all or see some sort of block instead.
It is regarded as right to enslave a natural slave
Echo
SL Name: Echo Horatio
Caste: Merchant?
Role: Trouble maker
Home Stone: Island of Jahesa

Postby Echo » Thu May 10, 2012 8:45 am

I do not think I own a single piece of mesh yet. Not avoiding them, just I have not seen anything I need that happens to be in mesh yet.
Though based upon what I am seeing on this thread it is a huge step backward for SL.
The biggest thing I love in SL is that everything layers and you are a body under those clothes. So if you got a dress slit to your navel that is YOUR skin showing not the skin they had to put in like in most MMO's.
The selling point to mesh to me was it was supposed to follow the movements of the body under it instead of glitching through like prim wear. Seems this is sadly untrue. :thumbdown:
"In order to roleplay in SL Gor, you first need to accept that people are not sensible." by Chron

Return to “Viewers”