Having Problems Seeing Mesh?

A forum to discuss the many different viewers for SL.
~pancake~
SL Name: Linnet, Linx,
Role: OOC
AkA: Pinkie Pie

Having Problems Seeing Mesh?

Postby ~pancake~ » Sun May 06, 2012 1:09 am

I know many of you probably already know this tip, but I keep running into people who only see my head and feet and I have been passing along these tips so I thought I'd share them here too.

Are you using a Mesh supported viewer and still having issues? Your mesh house vanished? Seeing people sporting this lovely look?

Missing Mesh by Renoobed (aka pancake), on Flickr

If this happens to you don’t panic. There are a few solutions that can help.

1) Make sure basic shaders are enabled. I know for some with older computers this will kill their FPS and SL will become difficult, but on some of the viewers you will not see mesh if your shaders are not on.

2) Go to Advanced – Debug Settings and find MeshMaxConcurrentRequests and increase this. Your default is probably 32 and you want to double this to at least 64. I’ve heard of one person who set it to 300, but I keep mine at 150 and haven’t had a problem since. I’m no technical expert, but my understanding is your viewer’s ability to see mesh can get “full”, like a cache of sorts I guess. As more and more mesh hits the grid, the default MeshMaxConcurrentRequests is proving to be way too small to handle what we see and sooner or later our viewer just stops showing us mesh. Increasing this helped me a lot.

3) Relog.

That seems to fix it in *most* cases. One thing to note, Exodus seems to be having a notoriously hard time with this and these tips probably won't work for you.
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Re: Having Problems Seeing Mesh?

Postby Tantus » Sun May 06, 2012 8:08 am

I needed to raise MeshMaxConcurrentRequests to 500+ before some hair and jackets could load.

Clearing cache and relogging helped to render it correctly too.

The 'Mayfair' sim is good to test your settings on, it's all built with mesh and everyone there is wearing some too.
Frevet

Postby Frevet » Sun May 06, 2012 8:56 am

I'd -not- recommend the Mayfair sim at all. A lot of people have considerable lag and other issues there and sometimes, everything meshy around me will randomly poof, even though a second ago it was just fine. It is the -only- sim I seem to have problems in.

Instead, I'd go to Skerry of Einar and check it there. Plenty of peeps there wear mesh and the build is largely mesh as well.
Syndel
SL Name: Syndel Daviau

Postby Syndel » Sun May 06, 2012 2:54 pm

Usually I just tell people this:
On Edit>Preferences>Graphics:Custom,
see if you have checkmarked
Basic Shaders
Hardware Skinning

Because without those you don't see mesh at all.
With those marked you see mesh even with Low graphics.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Mon May 07, 2012 5:46 pm

Hmmm, they say that a bit of clothing can make a woman look more alluring than she would be without clothes on. I guess no one ever considered how hot partial invisibility might look on some women.
Echo
SL Name: Echo Horatio
Caste: Merchant?
Role: Trouble maker
Home Stone: Island of Jahesa

Postby Echo » Tue May 08, 2012 9:59 am

Question: Could this happen/fix an issue of non-mesh items vanishing? I have several doors and other items that disappear for me. I thought it was my computer, but it happens now even with a machine only 2 months old.
"In order to roleplay in SL Gor, you first need to accept that people are not sensible." by Chron
Syndel
SL Name: Syndel Daviau

Postby Syndel » Tue May 08, 2012 10:43 am

That is most likely a problem of the viewer not being updated. Has been happening a lot with Singularity and I've noticed it on Phoenix this past week.

Return to “Viewers”