Which Viewer is Best - Interesting Article

A forum to discuss the many different viewers for SL.
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Re: Which Viewer is Best - Interesting Article

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:21 am

Part of me is really confused as to why they have the clients and viewers on the market like this. On the most high-end to average machines the FPS in SL is lower than 40 on average to low graphics detail settings.

40 FPS is pretty much the minimal benchmark for a game or program to run smoothly without noticable "visual delays" and stutters. On top of that, the majority of the internet users don't even have high-end to average machines, but tend to have low-end / low-average machines which barely will pull 20 FPS on most SL viewers.

This is pretty much literally LL shooting themselves in the foot because a big amount of people won't be able to run SL anything but "slow" and with all the technical problems that brings along with it.

This pretty much causes them to have less "users" / less subscribers etc.

There is the fact that DirectX would only be compatible with Windows OS, but the FPS would be several times higher and the viewers would be more stable for the majority people. I guess it just comes down to the fact that the Lab are Apple and Linux lovers...
serene mistwood
SL Name: Izzy
Role: Social Gadfly
AkA: Isobel Mynx

Postby serene mistwood » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:54 pm

Caranda wrote:What I particularly like about Firestorm, and which would now be essential features to me that any other viewer I'd consider would have to have are:

- unlimited attachments per attachment point

- 5 tattoo layers

These are important to me too, and why I now use firestorm - but I am finding it rather heavy and lethargic to use. Does exodus have these features?
"She still had all of her marbles, though every one of them was a bit odd and rolled asymmetrically." Firebirds Rising.
~pancake~
SL Name: Linnet, Linx,
Role: OOC
AkA: Pinkie Pie

Postby ~pancake~ » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:08 pm

serene mistwood wrote:
Caranda wrote:What I particularly like about Firestorm, and which would now be essential features to me that any other viewer I'd consider would have to have are:

- unlimited attachments per attachment point

- 5 tattoo layers

These are important to me too, and why I now use firestorm - but I am finding it rather heavy and lethargic to use. Does exodus have these features?

As far as I know, this is now standard in pretty much every viewer other than Phoenix and CoolVL. I'm not certain about Singularity, but all the others do have it.

At one point I was trying to make a chart that showed viewers down one side and features across the top, so people could pick and chose a viewer that meets their needs but I gave up. Too many and moving too quickly.
serene mistwood
SL Name: Izzy
Role: Social Gadfly
AkA: Isobel Mynx

Postby serene mistwood » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:28 pm

Ah ok, thanks Pancake. I will give it a try.
"She still had all of her marbles, though every one of them was a bit odd and rolled asymmetrically." Firebirds Rising.
All Sunday
SL Name: wannabeslave
Home Stone: Kaelus

Postby All Sunday » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:08 pm

Victor. wrote:The things I want for Exodus:

- Firestorm's Windlight settings (Which I'll fix in a moment thanks to Linnet, muchas gracias)

You can download the windlight settings from the Firestorm folder or any website.
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Postby Tantus » Mon May 14, 2012 10:51 am

It's been tough to upgrade from Phoenix(V1 based), to one of the new Viewer 3 clients. The blogging inspired changes to the interface are ridiculous for an application like SL.

From the official TPV List, I've been trying out Firestorm which I've found to be unstable on my machine.

Exodus makes the transition easier to V3. Though their search interface takes alot of patience to get around. Some avatar profiles won't show in full either.. and it's missing the script-counting features of Phoenix/Firestorm. Also Exodus doesn't like multi-tasking with other applications I run whilst working, it tends to lag badly.

Catznip I've found to be a smooth and easy viewer to use and it's stable, but very low on features. I would have used it for longer, as the profiles and search are an improvement on Exodus... but, it's missing always-fly, derendering, script counting, chat commands, minimap avatar colours...

So I'm back to using Phoenix... with all of its small features that add up to a complete viewer - and it renders Mesh without fuss.
~pancake~

Postby ~pancake~ » Mon May 14, 2012 12:58 pm

I would agree about Catznip. I use it quite a bit when I roam the grid because it's super stable, lightning fast rez times and great performance. I also love having the chat and IM boxes combined. It is light on a few features though.

This past week or so I've been using Dolphin and so far so good. You might want to give that a try. I don't know if it has everything you are looking for but it's another option.
~pancake~

Postby ~pancake~ » Mon May 14, 2012 4:27 pm

I do have a noticeable drop of FPS on ultra in Dolphin, but it's still manageable and I'm only in ultra for pictures. Normally Nirans is my go to for pictures, but setting up the preferences hurts my brain. Nirans is starting to get too complicated for me. Dolphin comes close for graphics quality so I might start doing some pictures this week with it since over all I'm pleased with it.

Catznip though still outshines them all for FPS and stability, and if I'm somewhere with a lot of local chat (a club, a flutter auction, etc) I'll use it because of the attached chat/IM box.

I prefer not to use Firestorm or Pheonix unless I'm testing something. Even then, it's a quick in and out and uninstall.

The official I dabble with from time to time just to see what features are TPV and which are official.

Exodus has crapped the bed for me but I understand a new release is coming (or out?) so I might try it again.

I know, I'm a viewer whore.

Return to “Viewers”