Which Viewer is Best - Interesting Article

A forum to discuss the many different viewers for SL.
~pancake~
SL Name: Linnet, Linx,
Role: OOC
AkA: Pinkie Pie

Re: Which Viewer is Best - Interesting Article

Postby ~pancake~ » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:08 pm

Glaucon wrote:Now, it is easy to see what shadows do... as well as depth of field (which seems a bit pointless to me... why 're-create' the limitations of an actual camera lens in SL?)... and I more or less know what the other two are, supposed to do... but what 'benefit' do they represent in practice? Shadows are pretty... I can see that. The other options... well... do they make things look prettier? I haven't really managed to notice it.

Many of these effects are for photography and machinima and not really intended to enhance the day to day walking around use I imagine. I only turn them on for certain photography experiments.

@Kait - I used to love Nirans before Christmas and then the later releases started crapping out on me. Even if I could stay in world without crashing every 5 minutes, it was laggy and glitchy. I was told to delete all traces of Nirans folder (it doesn't have an uninstaller) which I had done and it didn't work.

THEN I realized I wasn't in fact deleting all traces. There were additional folders under my app data in both local and roamning that I hadn't been deleting because I couldn't see them. These folders were hidden by default on my Windows 7 and I didn't realize that. Only when I went to search and typed %appdata% with the % signs was I able to see the leftovers I had of Nirans and then figured out how to turn on my hidden folders. Deleting those along with the actual Niran's folder, reinstalling, and I'm back to happy again.

I don't know if you've already tried this or not, I thought I had and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working, but now that I realize what I was doing wrong I just wanted to share in case anyone else has this.

I'm so relieved as well, it's truly my favorite viewer and I hated not being able to use it. Best? That's hard to say, I guess it depends how you define best, but it's my favorite for the graphics. One thing to keep in mind with FPS comparisons with Nirans is that High is equivalent to other viewers Ultra, it has an additional graphics level. So comparing FPS on Ultra to Ultra isn't quite apples and oranges. Also, it was built with photography and machinima in mind, a whole new look to SL, not for performance though I'm finding it more than adequate for my needs.
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:50 pm

@Pancake
Thanks...maybe I'll give it another try. I really miss Kirstens since I'm always snapping pictures and nothing seems to make SL look quite as good as it once did in that viewer.

New laptop so it doesn't get any cleaner than that for an install.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
TreatRothschild
SL Name: I'm Treat Dammit!
Role: Magistrate and Love Cthulhu
Home Stone: Hesius

Postby TreatRothschild » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:35 pm

I installed Milkshake last night, I don't like it. It seems very "heavy". I left my guy sitting in his home spot and never did get all the textures downloaded and correct.

I'll try the Exodus one next.
Let me give you some advice bastard. Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:43 pm

TreatRothschild wrote:I installed Milkshake last night, I don't like it. It seems very "heavy". I left my guy sitting in his home spot and never did get all the textures downloaded and correct.

I'll try the Exodus one next.

I believe Milkshake has been discontinued so good choice.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
Caranda
SL Name: Caranda Schreiner
Role: slave
Owner: Brigette Wade

Postby Caranda » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:02 pm

I use Firestorm because I migrated from Phoenix and you can set Firestorm up to have a similar look and feel to Phoenix.

What I particularly like about Firestorm, and which would now be essential features to me that any other viewer I'd consider would have to have are:

- unlimited attachments per attachment point

- 5 tattoo layers

- ability to adjust height above the ground on the fly so as to avoid floating or sinking into objects
It is regarded as right to enslave a natural slave
Victor.
SL Name: Victor Klavinham
Role: Mister Internet
Home Stone: SalernuM
Owner: V for VESSEL

Postby Victor. » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:28 am

The things I want for Exodus:

- Normal freakin' Search Function
- Properly editable profile
- An AREA SEARCH function
- Attachments that are inside of your body being outlined blue throughout the mesh of your avatar
- Firestorm's Windlight settings (Which I'll fix in a moment thanks to Linnet, muchas gracias)

Think that's about it - could of course be that things like AREA SEARCH i.e. are terrible lag-producers and they left it out deliberately to provide the FPS that they do. Guess then I'll have to live without it, but the rest - should be doable.
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft. // Jealousy is a passion, seeking zealously what causes suffering. Franz Grillparzer
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:21 am

Part of me is really confused as to why they have the clients and viewers on the market like this. On the most high-end to average machines the FPS in SL is lower than 40 on average to low graphics detail settings.

40 FPS is pretty much the minimal benchmark for a game or program to run smoothly without noticable "visual delays" and stutters. On top of that, the majority of the internet users don't even have high-end to average machines, but tend to have low-end / low-average machines which barely will pull 20 FPS on most SL viewers.

This is pretty much literally LL shooting themselves in the foot because a big amount of people won't be able to run SL anything but "slow" and with all the technical problems that brings along with it.

This pretty much causes them to have less "users" / less subscribers etc.

There is the fact that DirectX would only be compatible with Windows OS, but the FPS would be several times higher and the viewers would be more stable for the majority people. I guess it just comes down to the fact that the Lab are Apple and Linux lovers...
serene mistwood
SL Name: Izzy
Role: Social Gadfly
AkA: Isobel Mynx

Postby serene mistwood » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:54 pm

Caranda wrote:What I particularly like about Firestorm, and which would now be essential features to me that any other viewer I'd consider would have to have are:

- 5 tattoo layers

These are important to me too, and why I now use firestorm - but I am finding it rather heavy and lethargic to use. Does exodus have these features?
"She still had all of her marbles, though every one of them was a bit odd and rolled asymmetrically." Firebirds Rising.
~pancake~
SL Name: Linnet, Linx,
Role: OOC
AkA: Pinkie Pie

Postby ~pancake~ » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:08 pm

serene mistwood wrote:
Caranda wrote:What I particularly like about Firestorm, and which would now be essential features to me that any other viewer I'd consider would have to have are:

- 5 tattoo layers

These are important to me too, and why I now use firestorm - but I am finding it rather heavy and lethargic to use. Does exodus have these features?

As far as I know, this is now standard in pretty much every viewer other than Phoenix and CoolVL. I'm not certain about Singularity, but all the others do have it.

At one point I was trying to make a chart that showed viewers down one side and features across the top, so people could pick and chose a viewer that meets their needs but I gave up. Too many and moving too quickly.
serene mistwood
SL Name: Izzy
Role: Social Gadfly
AkA: Isobel Mynx

Postby serene mistwood » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:28 pm

Ah ok, thanks Pancake. I will give it a try.
"She still had all of her marbles, though every one of them was a bit odd and rolled asymmetrically." Firebirds Rising.

Return to “Viewers”