Which Viewer is Best - Interesting Article

A forum to discuss the many different viewers for SL.
All Sunday
SL Name: wannabeslave
Home Stone: Kaelus

Re: Which Viewer is Best - Interesting Article

Postby All Sunday » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:08 pm

Victor. wrote:The things I want for Exodus:

- Firestorm's Windlight settings (Which I'll fix in a moment thanks to Linnet, muchas gracias)

You can download the windlight settings from the Firestorm folder or any website.
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:41 pm

Alecks wrote:
Victor. wrote:The things I want for Exodus:

- Firestorm's Windlight settings (Which I'll fix in a moment thanks to Linnet, muchas gracias)

You can download the windlight settings from the Firestorm folder or any website.

No need to download. If you have ever had firestorm installed on your machine just go to the Windlight folder and copy them over to the Windlight folder under the exodus viewer. Took me about two seconds. I also tossed out a ton of them that I hate to make my list more manageable.

The link Pancake provided does provide some nice additions especially if you like taking pictures.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Postby Tantus » Mon May 14, 2012 10:51 am

It's been tough to upgrade from Phoenix(V1 based), to one of the new Viewer 3 clients. The blogging inspired changes to the interface are ridiculous for an application like SL.

From the official TPV List, I've been trying out Firestorm which I've found to be unstable on my machine.

Exodus makes the transition easier to V3. Though their search interface takes alot of patience to get around. Some avatar profiles won't show in full either.. and it's missing the script-counting features of Phoenix/Firestorm. Also Exodus doesn't like multi-tasking with other applications I run whilst working, it tends to lag badly.

Catznip I've found to be a smooth and easy viewer to use and it's stable, but very low on features. I would have used it for longer, as the profiles and search are an improvement on Exodus... but, it's missing always-fly, derendering, script counting, chat commands, minimap avatar colours...

So I'm back to using Phoenix... with all of its small features that add up to a complete viewer - and it renders Mesh without fuss.
~pancake~
SL Name: Linnet, Linx,
Role: OOC
AkA: Pinkie Pie

Postby ~pancake~ » Mon May 14, 2012 12:58 pm

I would agree about Catznip. I use it quite a bit when I roam the grid because it's super stable, lightning fast rez times and great performance. I also love having the chat and IM boxes combined. It is light on a few features though.

This past week or so I've been using Dolphin and so far so good. You might want to give that a try. I don't know if it has everything you are looking for but it's another option.
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Mon May 14, 2012 1:45 pm

~pancake~ wrote:This past week or so I've been using Dolphin and so far so good. You might want to give that a try. I don't know if it has everything you are looking for but it's another option.

I really like the graphics of this viewer. I finally got around to peddling around a few sims to compare to Exodus which has gotten a bit crash happy lately and it really puts me in the mind of Kierstens or Nirans although not quite as good. All of the other features seem to mimic exodus but in my rather unscientific test I did notice a decline in FPS on both High and Ultra.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
~pancake~
SL Name: Linnet, Linx,
Role: OOC
AkA: Pinkie Pie

Postby ~pancake~ » Mon May 14, 2012 4:27 pm

I do have a noticeable drop of FPS on ultra in Dolphin, but it's still manageable and I'm only in ultra for pictures. Normally Nirans is my go to for pictures, but setting up the preferences hurts my brain. Nirans is starting to get too complicated for me. Dolphin comes close for graphics quality so I might start doing some pictures this week with it since over all I'm pleased with it.

Catznip though still outshines them all for FPS and stability, and if I'm somewhere with a lot of local chat (a club, a flutter auction, etc) I'll use it because of the attached chat/IM box.

I prefer not to use Firestorm or Pheonix unless I'm testing something. Even then, it's a quick in and out and uninstall.

The official I dabble with from time to time just to see what features are TPV and which are official.

Exodus has crapped the bed for me but I understand a new release is coming (or out?) so I might try it again.

I know, I'm a viewer whore.

Return to “Viewers”