Which Viewer is Best - Interesting Article

A forum to discuss the many different viewers for SL.
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Which Viewer is Best - Interesting Article

Postby Kaitlin » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:52 pm

While I'm a bit unsure about the rest of the article I can say that exodus has certainly been the most stable and best performing viewer for me in the last 4 weeks. I'm even debating whether I should even give the others a try again now that I have my new laptop but I thought I'd share this article.

https://modemworld.wordpress.com/2012/01/03/comparative-viewer-frame-rates/

http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2012/01/second-life-viewer-comparison.html

Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
Danika Stenvaag
SL Name: Danika Stenvaag
Caste: Panther
Role: Valkyrie Torva Chieftess
Home Stone: Valkyrie Forest

Re: Which Viewer is Best - Interesting Article

Postby Danika Stenvaag » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:27 pm

the tests left out singularity... after i read the blogs you posted, i downloaded sl viewer as the blog said it was faster than exodus. i logged into the new sl viewer and checked fps. moved around. recorded changes in fps. then logged into singularity same position i logged into sl viewer. then moved to same locations as i did with sl viewer. singularity was about 40 to 50 frames per second faster than sl viewer. so... if sl viewer is faster than exodus... hmmmmm....

to be fair, i'll download exodus and compare it to singularity when i get a bit more time. this was more a quickie test tonight. so far singularity is the fastest viewer i've used so far... for sure much much faster than slow poke phoenix which i use for special applications. phoenix is feature rich but a heavy slow moving elephant.
What is hidden in snow, is revealed at thaw. ~ Viking proverb

http://www.valkyriepanthers.com
Victor.
SL Name: Victor Klavinham
Role: Mister Internet
Home Stone: SalernuM
Owner: V for VESSEL

Postby Victor. » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:33 am

Really annoying thing about the new Exodus update - when you punch a search word into the search bar that is an exact match, it will just TP you there straight away - and you never really know IF what you're going to search for, WILL have an exact match, highly annoying.
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft. // Jealousy is a passion, seeking zealously what causes suffering. Franz Grillparzer
Kaitlin

Postby Kaitlin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:35 am

I'm still getting used to it but ATM I just wish I could turn off that annoying leaving and entering region messages and have Vertical Tabs rather than horizontal tabs.

Once upon a time... Kait
Victor.

Postby Victor. » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:54 am

Kaitlin wrote:I'm still getting used to it but ATM I just wish I could turn off that annoying leaving and entering region messages and have Vertical Tabs rather than horizontal tabs.

You can turn off the messages via the Exodus Preferences, some chat option - can't log into the game right now, but it's there.

Not so sure about the tabs, will have to check it out in the evening.
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft. // Jealousy is a passion, seeking zealously what causes suffering. Franz Grillparzer
Kaitlin

Postby Kaitlin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:35 am

Victor. wrote:
Kaitlin wrote:I'm still getting used to it but ATM I just wish I could turn off that annoying leaving and entering region messages and have Vertical Tabs rather than horizontal tabs.

You can turn off the messages via the Exodus Preferences, some chat option - can't log into the game right now, but it's there.

Not so sure about the tabs, will have to check it out in the evening.

Thanks!

Once upon a time... Kait
All Sunday
SL Name: wannabeslave
Home Stone: Kaelus

Postby All Sunday » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:51 am

I am annoyed by the sude buttons that I don't use having to remove them at every restart on the side bar.

The user profile area is a bit messed up... looks like the area of "My Second Life" and sometimes it works like crap.

Also the editor of picks has to be changed through some heavy manuver that took me a while to figure.

Aside this... I like it. :)
Victor.

Postby Victor. » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:56 am

Another thing I don't like about Exodus - you can't exchange your existing profile picture with those pics you got in SL - no, it only let's you choose from your HD. What's that about?
Kaitlin

Postby Kaitlin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:16 pm

Victor. wrote:Another thing I don't like about Exodus - you can't exchange your existing profile picture with those pics you got in SL - no, it only let's you choose from your HD. What's that about?

I just can't figure out why they decided to make this change. It is very annoying.

That said...I decided to give Firestorm another try on the laptop and it was like walking in mud. I guess I'll be dealing with my minor annoyances a bit longer. Nirans is still hopeless as well even with a Nvidia 570m.

Once upon a time... Kait
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:52 pm

Tried Exodus. Checked my FPS. On my (older) machine, all the shadow etc. stuff on meant an FPS of about 3-4 in a fairly busy sim. Hardly better than Phoenix, I think. I need to play without most of that stuff anyway.

Related question.

You have your:
-deferred rendering
-ambient occlusion
-Depth of field
-Shadows

Now, it is easy to see what shadows do... as well as depth of field (which seems a bit pointless to me... why 're-create' the limitations of an actual camera lens in SL?)... and I more or less know what the other two are, supposed to do... but what 'benefit' do they represent in practice? Shadows are pretty... I can see that. The other options... well... do they make things look prettier? I haven't really managed to notice it.

Return to “Viewers”