List-O-Viewers and Comparisons

A forum to discuss the many different viewers for SL.
Hilda
SL Name: Account Closed

Re: List-O-Viewers and Comparisons

Postby Hilda » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:28 pm

Phoenix mesh version. Best Xmas gift I could have ever hoped for.
Frevet

Postby Frevet » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:38 pm

Okay, I am trying out Exodus now. How the F*** do I get rid of those idiotic and annoying announcements aka "Blablabla has entered/left the region"???? It drives me nuts. -.-
Ice Bradley
SL Name: Bain Menna
Caste: Red Caste
Role: Warrior
Home Stone: Tarnwald
Owner: Real life
AkA: Ice Bradley

Postby Ice Bradley » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:16 pm

Frevet wrote:Okay, I am trying out Exodus now. How the F*** do I get rid of those idiotic and annoying announcements aka "Blablabla has entered/left the region"???? It drives me nuts. -.-

Turn off sl ;)
there's those thinking more or less less is more
but if less is more how you're keeping score?
Means for every point you make
your level drops
kinda like its starting from the top
you can't do that...
Elle Couerblanc
SL Name: Elle

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:23 pm

Ice Bradley wrote:
Frevet wrote:Okay, I am trying out Exodus now. How the F*** do I get rid of those idiotic and annoying announcements aka "Blablabla has entered/left the region"???? It drives me nuts. -.-

Turn off sl ;)

You are so mean!!!
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Visit me at Elle's World http://ellecouerblanc.com/
Ghost
SL Name: Ghost of a chance
Caste: of thousands
Role: with the punches
Home Stone: more weight
Owner: H'ish or J'ish
AkA: tsk tsk

Postby Ghost » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:25 am

Hilda wrote:Phoenix mesh version. Best Xmas gift I could have ever hoped for.

too many black screen freeze ups for me..though I did like more centrally placed attachment points..we need so many more of those!!!!
I went back to the previous Phoenix version least with it I stay connected.
"Life is an opportunity, benefit from it. Life is beauty, admire it. Life is a dream, realize it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a duty, complete it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a song sing it" Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu ;)
~pancake~
SL Name: Linnet, Linx,
Role: OOC
AkA: Pinkie Pie

Postby ~pancake~ » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:43 am

The new Phoenix with mesh has worse performance in terms of texture loading for me than the version prior, or pretty much any viewer at the moment, but the version prior has no mesh. Phoenix is pretty much a no-go for me now.

Firestorm? Again, the new official release is considerably slower to load textures than the previous one, and random lock ups. I could go back to the version prior, but that seems a bit ridiculous. Also, and this is petty perhaps but it's growing annoying, but Firestorm has not fixed any of it's inventory quirks. Sorting the recent tag, sorts the all tag, and the worn tab, a completely useless function. Also, you can't move things into folders from the recent tab. Most annoying, is unpacking a box with a shirt layer and chosing "copy and wear" and it will take of every single thing you are wearing including prims. With the decreased performance and these annoying quirks, there is little reason for me to stick with Firestorm right now.

I'm disapointed with both Firestorm and Phoenix new versions. It's been ages since I TP'ed in somewhere and had to wait to rez, and it's a regular occurence with both now. I *know* it's not my computer because I don't have issue on the versions prior to the latest on either.

I'm trying Nirans now. The performance is amazing and I'm excited to try out all the photography settings, but the interface doesn't feel familiar to me yet and I'm fumbling like a noob. I'm willing to give it a few weeks to get comfortable though because it looks incredible. It's hard to describe, but I've never seen SL look this good before.

I will probably try the official viewer next.
All Sunday
SL Name: wannabeslave
Home Stone: Kaelus

Postby All Sunday » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:18 am

Well considering the new firestorm as the view in old style and offers me pretty much all the old components I guess I am sticking with it now.

I do fool the rezzing is a bit odd. There are occassions in which Firestorm allows me to rezz fast and easy among a sim full of 20 avatars and sometimes in an empty sim partially rezz avatars. A weird thing compared to whatI was used to.

Phoenix can see mesh? Well I don't know... the mesh in phoenix for me sometimes doesn't load and considering the alphas required are more than one usually this makes the idea rather useless... sorry for who worked his ass off on it but that's just what I think.

I tried Nirans if only cause the photography came better but hell I crash way too much in there, might be some compability issue.
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:46 am

Alecks wrote:I tried Nirans if only cause the photography came better but hell I crash way too much in there, might be some compability issue.

This was my experience as well. I was crashing constantly. I'm sticking with Firestorm for the moment since with mesh, RLV and the new building tools there are no other viewers that stack up. Someone mentioned the colors being flat in Firestorm...I will admit my SL Gor doesn't seem to look as great as it should.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
~pancake~
SL Name: Linnet, Linx,
Role: OOC
AkA: Pinkie Pie

Postby ~pancake~ » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:58 pm

That's the tricky thing about these comparisons, we all have different computers so a true test is not really possible. Where one user crashes and takes 2 minutes to rez the people at the hub, another has great performance and vice versa when they switch.

I'm going to try to compare just on features, but then that's a personal preference too. Not everyone wants or needs the same thing but I'm still trying to compile a list at least so it's easier for people to pick based on the features they want.

Right now, other than being very bright in some places, I'm personally leaning towards Nirans as my new viewer.

I love the UI (FUI), being able to move my buttons to the top felt right to me immediately. The Navigation area instead of menus was immediately intuitive to how my brain works apparantly because I found everything there right away. The deciding factor though is the smooooth camera movements. Second Life has never "felt" like this before. It's like I'm floating in space or in some sort of flight simulator game. It's hard to explain but I love the effect of camming around with Nirans and I'm excited to get back to my machinima attempts now.

Other than the brightness, which I asked about and the creator gave me some tips about my settings that I need to try, Niran's makes my SL look like nothing I've ever seen before and I'm in awe just standing in my house. I can't wait to explore some sims and play with photos.

One thing to note about Nirans, having your graphics on High is equivalent to Ultra in the other viewers so if you go ultra on Nirans.. :o.O:

This post was really helpful to me when I switched
http://modemworld.wordpress.com/2011/12 ... different/

And an idea how it feels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5nbMl19FVI
Jenny1919
SL Name: Jenifer Smithson
Caste: Outlaw
Role: Panther

Postby Jenny1919 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:21 pm

Ive been using Exodus and ive enjoyed it and it feels alot smoother than most other viewers ive tried and i get the highest fps on it... Firestorm feels bloated but theyve added everything including the kitchen sink... However i saw were Exodus is getting RLV in their next release...
Havent tried the latest phoenix with mesh but ive grown to exodus rather not try.... i might check out niran's viewer.. i like the newer 3.2.x interface... just my simple opinion

Return to “Viewers”