List-O-Viewers and Comparisons

A forum to discuss the many different viewers for SL.
Elle Couerblanc
SL Name: Elle

Re: List-O-Viewers and Comparisons

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:20 pm

@Pancake I am going to try Niran's tonight but I hope they implemented the recent fix the Lab released to fix the nvidia crashing issues. But if you give the photo features a thumbs up I have to try it!
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Visit me at Elle's World http://ellecouerblanc.com/
~pancake~
SL Name: Linnet, Linx,
Role: OOC
AkA: Pinkie Pie

Postby ~pancake~ » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:29 pm

Ella wrote:@Pancake I am going to try Niran's tonight but I hope they implemented the recent fix the Lab released to fix the nvidia crashing issues. But if you give the photo features a thumbs up I have to try it!

Oh goodness! I hope they did fix that, I know how frustrating it's been for you.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on Nirans and maybe you can even help me with some of the advanced graphics settings since you used Kirstens. From what I understand this is based heavily on that viewer, in fact it's billed as a "fork" and now that Kirstens future is ... uncertain/over... it seems many users are moving over to Nirans even though it's still very much beta.
Lax
SL Name: Lax
Caste: Merchant
Role: Master Trader

Postby Lax » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:44 pm

Can I suggest a Poll? Maybe with a top three option? that way everyone can see at a Glance what the opoular choices are.
Embrace the Story, it may not always be there
~pancake~

Postby ~pancake~ » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:59 pm

I can't edit the OP now to add a poll, but I'll make another thread for "popular" viewer choice.

I wasn't originally trying to capture people's preferences though. I was hoping for some help to collect facts about features for my chart because I think that's the most useful comparison for people to see when they make a decision. Just because it's the most popular viewer, doesn't mean it will work better for someone.

CoolVL for example isn't widely used but for some on older computers it's the best option because of the low resource load. For others, multiple layers is the deal breaker so it's no point them even downloading a viewer if that isn't a feature.

Performance seems to vary depending on computer and preference is relative so I was hopin to compile something like...

Viewer Name
Mesh: yes
Multilayers: no
Interface: 1.X, 2.X, 3.2.X etc.
RLV: yes
Special Features: Combat Radar, Advanced Graphics, etc.
Pros/Cons: does/doesn't work with Nvidia cards, only for Windows, etc.

It looks like I'll have to try every one myself though before I get the chart done LOL oh well, be a fun project over the Christmas break. Have I mentioned I love charts :D

ETA: Here's a link to an interesting new performance based comparison chart though. Keeping in mind, performance varies by computer.

http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/altern ... rison.html
Elle Couerblanc
SL Name: Elle

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:36 pm

~pancake~ wrote:
Ella wrote:@Pancake I am going to try Niran's tonight but I hope they implemented the recent fix the Lab released to fix the nvidia crashing issues. But if you give the photo features a thumbs up I have to try it!

Oh goodness! I hope they did fix that, I know how frustrating it's been for you.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on Nirans and maybe you can even help me with some of the advanced graphics settings since you used Kirstens. From what I understand this is based heavily on that viewer, in fact it's billed as a "fork" and now that Kirstens future is ... uncertain/over... it seems many users are moving over to Nirans even though it's still very much beta.

Well now I can't save photos using the Lab's viewer (which I feel gives me the best photo quality)to my computer and Firestorm I feel is too grainy for photos. So Niran's is my last attempt to keep doing photos. If it doesn't work for me - I think my time as a sl photographer will come to a close. Wish me luck!
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Visit me at Elle's World http://ellecouerblanc.com/
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:48 pm

Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Exploring SL - Ann Owiti
Kait
Teslik & Sip Root Gorean Medical Info
~pancake~

Postby ~pancake~ » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:56 pm

Inara did an awesome job with that post. She's who inspired me to try Niran's. I hadn't found the radar feature but Sabina mentioned it earlier today so I'll look for it next time I'm on.

Have you managed to get it running without being crashy for you Kait? I'm not techy enough to guess why it would be crashing for you but hopefuly it's something that can be resolved. If not, I think there is another update planned for after Christmas.
Sacha
SL Name: Resident Resident

Postby Sacha » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:02 pm

I'm loving Niran's and the only thing it doesn't seem to have is a client side AO. Now, its been a long time since I've been on and so, I may just be completely dumbass-ing it, but the AO thing would be nice. Its a pain, but still not enough to get rid of Niran's. Oh, the other thing... how in the hell do you override sim flight restrictions in SL2/3 viewers? I don't mind abiding by no-fly restrictions but there are some places I'm just not going to stroll happily through.
This should be interesting.
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:11 pm

~pancake~ wrote:Inara did an awesome job with that post. She's who inspired me to try Niran's. I hadn't found the radar feature but Sabina mentioned it earlier today so I'll look for it next time I'm on.

Have you managed to get it running without being crashy for you Kait? I'm not techy enough to guess why it would be crashing for you but hopefuly it's something that can be resolved. If not, I think there is another update planned for after Christmas.

Actually I didn't have the latest beta (posted two days ago) and there was a a fix that is more compatible with my graphics card. It seems to run much better now (fingers crossed). I love the thought of a Kirstens type viewer with V3.2 features for RP.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Exploring SL - Ann Owiti
Kait
Teslik & Sip Root Gorean Medical Info
Jenny1919
SL Name: Jenifer Smithson
Caste: Outlaw
Role: Panther

Postby Jenny1919 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:20 pm

~pancake~ wrote:how in the hell do you override sim flight restrictions in SL2/3 viewers? I don't mind abiding by no-fly restrictions but there are some places I'm just not going to stroll happily through.

unless you use firestorm.. its a debug setting.. and think you have to manually turn it on every time you log into the viewer.. check though the preferences though.. but the setting is.. Advance ->show debug Settings((menu)) then AdminMenu in debug settings turn to true. Then Activate Debug from Develope Menu and you can fly

Return to “Viewers”