Can anyone actually see mesh?

A forum to discuss the many different viewers for SL.

Do you use a viewer with mesh support as your primary viewer?

I use a viewer that supports mesh as my primary
22%
I use a viewer that supports mesh as my primary
22%
I don't normally use a viewer that supports mesh
28%
I don't normally use a viewer that supports mesh
28%

Total votes: 50
Claude Belgar
SL Name: Claude Belgar
Role: Trader… sort of…
Home Stone: Twin Falls
Owner: None… I think.
Location: Looking down at the idiocy of Kaitlin and Sasi, among others

Re: Can anyone actually see mesh?

Postby Claude Belgar » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:55 am

Manon Seid wrote:@ Claude: That will be around the time when i find the time to build your chimney too :P

Touché :lol:
"when all the books show that Gorean seldom change of home stone."Sasi.

"I have never said that the books stated that Gorean seldom change of homestone."Sasi.

Sasi caught lying between her teeth.
Willow
SL Name: Willow Jenipe

Postby Willow » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:08 am

I use Firestorm beta as it's likely what we'll have to use in future, rather than because I want to use it. In fact my own personal opinion of Firestorm so far is that it's rubbish. They have to make Search work for one thing - that is a very serious fault indeed with it. It's also unstable - it freezes and crashes a lot. Oh, and from what I've heard from others it's unlikely to work with your video card.

Personally I'd go back to Phoenix and not see mesh at all. Who wants mesh, anyway, apart from creators who want us to buy new inventories from them? And because of that, the Lindens are forcing mesh, and the viewers it needs, down our throats. I have seen some amazing things made with mesh, true, but nothing so wonderful that it's worth the viewers required for it and all their problems.
Conall
SL Name: Conall DeCuir
Role: Torvaldslander

Postby Conall » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:34 am

Alecks wrote:The clothes can't be modified so you have to resize to the dress... the hair is easier now.

And with that we would look all the same? Uninteresting for me :( except the creators are willing to do custom-tailor work. Yeah, sorry .. i am so vain.
"You have your Odin and i have mine"
All Sunday
SL Name: wannabeslave
Home Stone: Kaelus

Postby All Sunday » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:40 am

Conall wrote:
Alecks wrote:The clothes can't be modified so you have to resize to the dress... the hair is easier now.

And with that we would look all the same? Uninteresting for me :( except the creators are willing to do custom-tailor work. Yeah, sorry .. i am so vain.

Some stores sell the mesh with diffrent sizes and some even go to the point to resize it if you send them your size.
Honestly this is all very nice but I prefer my dangling prims as well. Mesh is intresting and useful on many accounts... but for the fashion industry untill people are able to make some modifcation it will be useless.
I have no idea how to make mesh and I can only suppose Lindens has to adapt the EDIT button to this new system so resizing can happen.
Erik
SL Name: Erik Fyanucci
Caste: It's complicated
Role: Laugh-master
Home Stone: Reality
AkA: Ari Blackthorne

Postby Erik » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:00 am

I am as impressed with mesh in Second Life as I am with the speed of growth of prim grass.

Mesh will be problematic for SL for a long time to come: first because not everyone can see it. Second because people are actually trying to create clothing with it (prim attachments to compliment an outfit sure, but as primary parts: epic-fail).

Then there's the LOD issues, which can cause both bandwidth and computer lag as your CPU and video try to not only decipher and build and display mesh, but mesh along with sculpties along with basic prims - and then sim owners who will abuse/over-use mesh in their builds.

As for my builds: I will stay with basic prims and use scultpies to complement, though I know how to model them, I don;t see myself ever using mesh in any of my creations and I'll likely never use any of the aftermarket stuff in my sim builds.

For me: I don;t want Second Life experience to be as realistic as possible, I want it to simply be as immersive as possible. The slippery slope began with WindLight and sculpties.

So, who has the blog that highlight sims screwed-up with mesh that features pictures in a non-mesh viewer? :thumbup:

Return to “Viewers”